Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control 2019- need report from new owners

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have ACC with the manual transmission and it works quite well--it behaves very similar to the ACC I had in my manual transmission G37s. Automatically adjusting cruising speed based on traffic is great. Obviously the manual transmission needs to be shifted (thus disengaging cruise control & ACC) if the speed changes significantly, so it's likely more convenient on an automatic transmission...but I really like it. The blind spot monitoring is pretty great as well, for what that's worth. I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate the blind spot monitoring (it's my first vehicle with the feature).

I get there are mixed feelings about them, but I feel genuinely safer with both safety packages on the JL--very happy with my decision to add them.
You can shift just fine while leaving ACC engaged.
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The NHTSC says that there has been a 47% increase in pedestrian deaths during the last 5 years.
Where did you read this?
The Jeep does the same. I shift all the time without turning ACC off.
That's cool. Does it let off the gas when you step on the clutch?

I haven't read this thread in a while, so I can't remember if this was covered, but according to the owner's manual if you use your left signal and then merge left to pass it will accelerate harder than it would under other circumstances.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
That's a bummer. The ACC in my GTI lets you shift all you want without disabling, as long as you don't press the brake.
I have a manual and ACC and it DOES not disengage when I downshift

Sponsored

ShadyB

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a small import that is my daily driver
My opinion is that all these new options that take away the act of driving from the driver, makes us lazy and there for makes us a worse driver.
Yep, great point. On that note, I disabled my airbags and seatbelt removal soon. Look for my how-to faq soon.

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2.0L Unlimited Rubicon and absolutely love my ACC! I’ve had it preempt breaking on my when I wasn’t fully aware (don’t ask) and someone cut me off and put on their breaks. On the freeway or around my neighborhood, the ACC does everything just as I would want. My only complaint is that when it does come to a complete stop, it cancels the ACC, requiring you to manually resume it.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a 2.0L Unlimited Rubicon and absolutely love my ACC! I’ve had it preempt breaking on my when I wasn’t fully aware (don’t ask) and someone cut me off and put on their breaks. On the freeway or around my neighborhood, the ACC does everything just as I would want. My only complaint is that when it does come to a complete stop, it cancels the ACC, requiring you to manually resume it.
Yeah, that's my only real beef as well. I'm wondering if it's due to ESS.

Jimbo1029

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sahara
When someone gets a new 2019 with the adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance features, please report on its functionality. So far no one outside of Jeep knows exactly how it will work, speculation is all we have at this point. Will is support stop and go without resetting in busy traffic? Will the collision avoidance do only partial braking or will it do a full stop? Etc, etc.
thanks in advance
The system works great. It allows for cruising in heavy highway traffic without having to constantly apply brakes as traffic slows and resuming speed as it lightens.
Intially somewhat confusing due to the two cruise buttons on right side of steering wheel, but one is normal cruise control (center of cruise toggles) and button to the left of 4 way toggle for adaptive cruise, as well as cruise distance control (4 distances).
Just set speed and if traffic slows you slow down. Only annoying part is if your cruising in regular traffic you come upon a car in your lane, your car will slow prepcipitusly, so instead of 75 mph your going 65 mph. If your set at maximum distance it starts pretty soon unless you change lanes, then your speed will resume.
Autostop feature has saved my butt in city traffic once already. Some made a late decision to turn right without blinker and slamming on brake. Weird having the brake applied hard just as I got my foot to the pedal without pressure from me. Problem though I was worried the person behind me wasn't paying attention and would readend me.
Otherwise really handy.

Sponsored

Rubicollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Veterinarian
Any idea on how the system's sensors are affected after changes such as lifts, larger tires, etc?

Jimbo1029

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sahara
I looked at the 2019 builder link above and built the specs for my Jeep which Im getting ASG. In the 360 degree view of the interior you can see the camera housing behind the rear view mirror, it is huge!

2019 with ASG.png
2018 with SG.png
I have this system in my 2019 Sahara JLU and the system is behind the mirror, but is totally unobstructive to your view and barely noticeable. Works great, similar to the system on my wife Highlander, but without lane departure assist.

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Yeah, that's my only real beef as well. I'm wondering if it's due to ESS.
In addition to my 2019 Moab w/ACC, I also own a 2018 Cherokee w/ACC (including full Stop & Go functionality) and unlike the Moab that gives you a warning to prepare to brake after 2 seconds of being stopped (because the ACC disengages) the Cherokee's ACC never disengages no matter how long you're stopped (e.g. the 15 minute RR crossing) but it does require you to either tap the gas pedal or the "Resume" button on the stalk after approximately 3 seconds of being stopped to resume forward motion. Bottom line - Stop & Go functionality is more relaxing in heavy rush hour traffic situations IMO. (PS: both vehicles have ESS as well.)

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In addition to my 2019 Moab w/ACC, I also own a 2018 Cherokee w/ACC (including full Stop & Go functionality) and unlike the Moab that gives you a warning to prepare to brake after 2 seconds of being stopped (because the ACC disengages) the Cherokee's ACC never disengages no matter how long you're stopped (e.g. the 15 minute RR crossing) but it does require you to either tap the gas pedal or the "Resume" button on the stalk after approximately 3 seconds of being stopped to resume forward motion. Bottom line - Stop & Go functionality is more relaxing in heavy rush hour traffic situations IMO. (PS: both vehicles have ESS as well.)
Hmm. I wonder why it wouldn't be exactly the same as on another Jeep.
I wonder if the forward collision system would apply the brakes after the two seconds when ACC releases the brakes if you were going to roll into the vehicle in front of you.
For those unfamiliar, this is the section of the owner’s manual where they address ACC at a stop. I find the last paragraph particularly counterintuitive. So, if for some reason you unbuckle and jump out, your Jeep’s going to roll try its best to run away from you. I can’ tell you how many insurance claims I handled where someone got in an accident and were so frazzled that they got out and forgot to put their car in park and it rolled forward causing a separate accident/claim. I’d think they’d want to prevent something like that.

ACC Operation At A Stop (Automatic Transmission Only)

If the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action.
If the target vehicle does not start moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the ACC with Stop system will cancel and the brakes will release. A cancel message will display on the instrument cluster display and produce a warning chime. Driver intervention will be required at this moment.
While ACC with Stop is holding your vehicle at a standstill, if the driver seatbelt is unbuckled or the driver door is opened, the ACC with Stop system will cancel and the brakes will release. A cancel message will display on the instrument cluster display and produce a warning chime. Driver intervention will be required at this moment.
Sponsored