TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is that all these new options that take away the act of driving from the driver, makes us lazy and there for makes us a worse driver.
I used to think that too (in fact I think I said the same darn thing). Up until we got. However the experience was otherwise. With things like ACC, active lane keep assist, and other driver aids I find that long drives are not as tiring since the vehicle is taking care of many small corrections instead of the driver. As a result the driver is less fatigued and better able to pay attention to the big picture.

Now my JL doesn't have anything but basic cruise and I'm good with that. Driving a Wrangler is NOTHING like driving a Honda and is by nature a more engaging experience. Our first long drive is coming up (350 miles to Yosemite for the weekend) so we'll see how engaging it is over the long haul. But just the simple fact of climbing into a Wrangler is more exciting than any other car I've owned... I am confident that excitement will carry on through the long and winding roads :)
Sponsored

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
9ZOgqGO.png

No Wranglers have auto wipers.
Sorry.. I saw this post and said "wait a minute"... maybe they do... my bad.. I'm a dumb a$$

"One other question from those that have this. Does this option also include the automatic wipers? As I was driving this morning in a snowstorm in my Cherokee, it made me realize that the ACC sensor will be covered up by the snow or slush on my windshield potentially."

kuyakuya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 VW GTI VR6, 2019 Jeep JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I never noticed the Willy's in front of me when turning it on, nice touch! Did you notice your FCW is not turned on? I don't think mine was by default either.
Ah, so that's what that symbol in the bottom corner means! I just looked in the manual, and it says the Forward Collision Warning system can be turned on through the UConnect system. I will try that.

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I have ACC in my F250. Sensors are mounted behind bumper. It complicated afternarket bumper install. Took dealer months to fix that. Plus every time I splash tree a puddle I risk abscuring the sensor. Bonus point for Ford. If the acc is out, normal cruise is out too

Jeeps solution is an eye sore,
But maybe it will work

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have ACC in my F250. Sensors are mounted behind bumper. It complicated afternarket bumper install. Took dealer months to fix that. Plus every time I splash tree a puddle I risk abscuring the sensor. Bonus point for Ford. If the acc is out, normal cruise is out too

Jeeps solution is an eye sore,
But maybe it will work
I saw an interview for the JT where they said they had to rule out the bumper or grill because of all the people who modify their Jeeps.

Here are a couple pictures I took that show the module, and sun visors up vs down. It doesn't look as clean as just a mirror, but isn't bad.

L1010187.jpg

L1010188.jpg

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just read this article: https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wrangler-bombed-parts-of-europes-car-safe-1830876712 about 2018 Jeep JL getting poor safety marks in Europe.

Here's the interesting thing: They cite the 2018 Jeep's lack of ACC as a major reason for the poor rating. In fact, things like electronic emergency brake assist, ACC, lane assist, etc... are becoming standard safety on cars everywhere. When I asked this community about the E-Brake assist for my Wrangler, most people responded that it was "heritage" not to have such electronic features (that and part-time 4WD, or automated, switch based 4-Wheel control ... like SelecTrac).

It would seem that Jeep is adding these safety features in part to "keep up" with the market in general. From the article:

Euro NCAP’s secretary general said, according to Motor1, “It is is truly disappointing to see a brand-new car being put on sale in 2018 with no autonomous braking system and no lane assistance. It is high time we saw a product from the Fiat-Chrysler group offering safety to rival its competitors.”
Still, the Jeep marketing department bashed back with this amazing gem:
FCA claims that the Wrangler was designed to “deliver superior performance and unique driving experiences under the most demanding conditions” and that “testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle.”
So, I guess we should expect that creature comforts are the way of the future. I will say though, I agree with some of you: Some of these "comforts" are just excuses to take your eyes off the road and drive like an idiot. But, I'll say that some of these safety features backfire in a bad way.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
As I mentioned in a previous post, any of us just needs the Forward Collision Warning system to avoid bloodshed once to make it overwhelmingly worth it.
Agreed. I won't derail this thread with the absolutely horrible gut-wrenching stories I have from people I know. Let's just say in all of them the person who was at fault was not the person who was the ultimate victim, and the automatic safety features would have made a difference.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
It would seem that Jeep is adding these safety features in part to "keep up" with the market in general. From the article:
You would think that, but ACC is not available in Europe and the dealers hear have never even heard about Jeeps having it. I made one guys open the US page because he didn't believe me that the US guys can order a Wrangler with ACC and auto braking.
On long drives, ACC is freakin awesome.
I have personally not needed the auto emergency braking, but my wife has it in her car and it saved her life and our sons when some a$$hat pulled out in front of her.
Funny enough, we have front and rear parking sensors, while front is not available in the US.
I can tell you... the front is appreciated very much when parallel parking on a busy DĂĽsseldorf street up the sidewalk with a spot just big enough.

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The NHTSC says that there has been a 47% increase in pedestrian deaths during the last 5 years. They are pushing to have pedestrian detection/auto stop a mandatory feature on new vehicles. One reason for more accidents may be distracted driving/walking. How many pedestrians have you seen walking while on their phones and/or with ear plugs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don’t think that the government needs to step in every time a distracted idiot walks in front of a moving vehicle.

People need to take responsibility for their own safety.

jeepinhokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2019 JLUR
I have ACC with the manual transmission and it works quite well--it behaves very similar to the ACC I had in my manual transmission G37s. Automatically adjusting cruising speed based on traffic is great. Obviously the manual transmission needs to be shifted (thus disengaging cruise control & ACC) if the speed changes significantly, so it's likely more convenient on an automatic transmission...but I really like it. The blind spot monitoring is pretty great as well, for what that's worth. I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate the blind spot monitoring (it's my first vehicle with the feature).

I get there are mixed feelings about them, but I feel genuinely safer with both safety packages on the JL--very happy with my decision to add them.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I have used the ACC a few times on stretches of highway. It worked as expected but I am not expert in anything more than it kept a safe distance by slowing down when needed and seemed to speed back to preset if i shifted lanes.

I agree about pedestrians and have probably been one who was looking at phone while walking. If we regulate everything, we will no longer be able to afford the cars we buy. The technology in these cars is already light years ahead of my 2015 BMW.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Obviously the manual transmission needs to be shifted (thus disengaging cruise control & ACC) if the speed changes significantly,
That's a bummer. The ACC in my GTI lets you shift all you want without disabling, as long as you don't press the brake.
Sponsored