Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control 2019- need report from new owners

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
When someone gets a new 2019 with the adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance features, please report on its functionality. So far no one outside of Jeep knows exactly how it will work, speculation is all we have at this point. Will is support stop and go without resetting in busy traffic? Will the collision avoidance do only partial braking or will it do a full stop? Etc, etc.
thanks in advance
The way Adaptive Cruise Control works is: the controls are on the steering wheel in the right side next to the Cruse control you hit the button to turn it on and set the speed you want to go. You can also set the distance you want to maintain between you and the car in front of of you. So if you set it to 70mph and you come upon a car in front of you doing 55 the Jeep will slow down to 55. If you change lanes or that car exits the freeway your speed will resume to 70mph. If you're going down the freeway and the person in front of you stomps on the breaks the Jeeps will give a collision notification and will stop the Jeep if you don't react. Also if you're about to come to a complete stop you will get a notification to put your foot on the break because ACC is going to deactivate.

It works very well.
Also the camera is behind the rearview mirror and comes with a cover so when you drop the windshield you can cover the camera.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
The way Adaptive Cruise Control works is: the controls are on the steering wheel in the right side next to the Cruse control you hit the button to turn it on and set the speed you want to go. You can also set the distance you want to maintain between you and the car in front of of you. So if you set it to 70mph and you come upon a car in front of you doing 55 the Jeep will slow down to 55. If you change lanes or that car exits the freeway your speed will resume to 70mph. If you're going down the freeway and the person in front of you stomps on the breaks the Jeeps will give a collision notification and will stop the Jeep if you don't react. Also if you're about to come to a complete stop you will get a notification to put your foot on the break because ACC is going to deactivate.

That's somewhat consistent with what I've heard elsewhere. Question though (in reference to your statement "will stop the Jeep if you don't react") - is that how it works for you personally on the '19 Wrangler? Just curious, some systems are more "automated" than others and I was under the impression that the "Forward Collision Warning" was just that, it would beep at you but not apply brakes.

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's somewhat consistent with what I've heard elsewhere. Question though (in reference to your statement "will stop the Jeep if you don't react") - is that how it works for you personally on the '19 Wrangler? Just curious, some systems are more "automated" than others and I was under the impression that the "Forward Collision Warning" was just that, it would beep at you but not apply brakes.
Nope it will stop if you're using it. If you're not in ACC mode and a car stops in front of you, you need to react it will not do anything. Forward collision warning only works in ACC mode.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Nope it will stop if you're using it. If you're not in ACC mode and a car stops in front of you, you need to react it will not do anything. Forward collision warning only works in ACC mode.
Good info, thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR

It works very well.
Also the camera is behind the rearview mirror and comes with a cover so when you drop the windshield you can cover the camera.

thanks!

So it sounds like there is no stop and go ACC functionality, where cars in front in bumper to bumper traffic slow to a stop for just a second or so, and your car stops by itself then resumes ACC when the car in front moves again. Can you resume ACC by tapping the throttle or a button, and if so do you have to be going a minimum speed before it will allow resuming the ACC?

And when first turning on ACC, what is the minimum speed required before you can activate it ?(not a stop and go situation).

thanks

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

thanks!

So it sounds like there is no stop and go ACC functionality, where cars in front in bumper to bumper traffic slow to a stop for just a second or so, and your car stops by itself then resumes ACC when the car in front moves again. Can you resume ACC by tapping the throttle or a button, and if so do you have to be going a minimum speed before it will allow resuming the ACC?

And when first turning on ACC, what is the minimum speed required before you can activate it ?(not a stop and go situation).

thanks
I don't think there is a minimum speed to activate it that I have noticed and it's not for stop and go traffic. This morning I had a car stop in front of me while ACC was off and it gave me a collision notification.

Keep in mind I haven't had this car a week yet and haven't used ACC that much and these answers are based on how I think it works I haven't read the manual for it.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I don't think there is a minimum speed to activate it that I have noticed and it's not for stop and go traffic. This morning I had a car stop in front of me while ACC was off and it gave me a collision notification.

Keep in mind I haven't had this car a week yet and haven't used ACC that much and these answers are based on how I think it works I haven't read the manual for it.
Could you enable ACC in traffic and see the following, please?

1) When in stop and go traffic, the vehicle halts completely when needed. (Seems you have verified this already)
2) After this stop, when the vehicle in front moves within a few seconds, does the Jeep start again?
3) If not (2), then if you press resume (or might need to touch the throttle), does the Jeep start moving again? Or is there a minimum speed at which it will work?

Thanks!

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
6274FB78-F837-4823-9373-262DCEE9EDEA.jpeg
Sorry but forward collision warning with active braking works with or without ACC being enabled. When turned off there is a idiot light informing you it’s off.

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
6274FB78-F837-4823-9373-262DCEE9EDEA.jpeg

Sorry but forward collision warning with active braking works with or without ACC being enabled. When turned off there is a idiot light informing you it’s off.
You're right! I had someone stop in front of me this morning and got a tone and a light of a possible front collision. Only having this less then a week I'm still figuring things out.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I personally am not a fan of the Adaptive cruise in that, while It seems to brake well, it seems very slow to accelerate should you decide to get in the left lane to pass. Meaning, I've got the regular high-speed sassholes flying up on me like the man men (and women) that they are flying up on my rear bumper, while I'm sitting waiting for the adaptive thing to do is... thing, if you will. Ultimately I end up pressing into the accelerator anyhow to get up to left lane speed, so I can go without. Perhaps the FCA adaptive system performs better?
Do you bother to signal before moving over to the left lane to pass? ;)

On our Dodge, after briefly tapping the left directional, the ACC will open up the Hemi, and quickly bring us up to the max speed setting.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I've driven my father's 300 with the adaptive cruise control and hate it. It feels like someone else is driving the car. I turn it off when I take him to his medical appointments.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I have a TEsla with ACC and totally love it! It takes the stress out of stop and go traffic. Following distance is settable on the fly. In so cal I can get to my destination relaxed even though the traffic has been awful. Its one reason I bought the car. It does stop and go, if its on, there is no time limit to be stopped before it will resume if the car in front starts again. It is slow to resume if the car in front changes lanes or if I change lanes, but forntunately I have a throttle pedal that works very well. No worries. I don't like or use the auto steering, more of a PIA rthan its worth, but the ACC is worth its weight in gold. I waited for the 2019 specidically for this feature!

I hope Jeep system can work as well as the Tesla.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Do you bother to signal before moving over to the left lane to pass? ;)

On our Dodge, after briefly tapping the left directional, the ACC will open up the Hemi, and quickly bring us up to the max speed setting.
I do, always. But the BMW system I experienced didn't seem to operate in the manner that you just mentioned. It seemed to be a bit more cautious to accelerate then I would have expected. But alas, was my only experience with such a system.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Kevin and Brit did a video of the Gladiator and at about 18:40 they talk about the ACC and show a good look at the camera. Also, later in the video the orange / punk’n truck has the windshield down showing the camera still up.

Sponsored