Sponsored

Adams Automotive and the missing "glob of solder" (rear defroster)

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Just took the Jeep back to the dealership because of the rear defroster issue and the lady accused me of sanding it (in an attempt to re-glue it) and said the warranty might not cover it. She said she's seen a lot of these come in and there's usually a glob of solder and they're never sanded.

Her: "I just wish you hadn't sanded it."
Me: "I didn't."
Her: "Yeah, you did."
Me: "I'm telling you I didn't."
Her: "Well, I took pictures of it."
Me:
99mjdl.jpg

There are two things of which I am absolutely certain: 1) Joe Flacco is not an elite quarterback and 2) I did not sand my defroster.

Now I'm wondering who did sand my defroster and removed the globs of solder. Anyone else have sand marks like this or a missing glob of solder?

vqrsqp.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Adams Automotive and the missing "glob of solder" (rear defroster) {filename}

I know this is a stupid little thing (rear defroster) but everything with this service department is a battle. I'm looking into the future. I'm realistically not expecting a trouble free ownership experience but if I have to deal with these guys on a bigger issue, I might just drive this thing off of the Bay Bridge and buy a moped.
Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Mine is also sanded, not as much as yours...I am sure factory sands it a little(or a lot) for adhesion purposes.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Why would you have sanded it? To what end??? Did you ask why she believes that you did this after you told her that you didn’t? What does she think you could possibly be trying to gain or achieve by sanding it, then bringing it to them to repair? So stupid.

And you’re right about Flacco. He’s better than average to good, but not great let alone elite. And Brees is 1 MVP and 1 more Super Bowl win away from being arguably in serious contention with Brady as the GOAT.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Exactly! Not sure why I'd repair it myself in place of getting a whole new rear glass. Although... I have a couple of other small issues I'm not going to bring up until I have the emotional energy. Maybe in the Spring. The philosophy here might be: If you make the repair process feel like getting a cystoscopy at the MVA, people won't mind not having a working rear defroster. A cystoscopy, by the way, is when they look for bladder stones through a long scope rammed into your urethra.

Flacco is a great guy but, yeah, the team needs an energy shift. And I think we're all really looking forward to LJ getting some more game time!

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Exactly! Not sure why I'd repair it myself in place of getting a whole new rear glass. Although... I have a couple of other small issues I'm not going to bring up until I have the emotional energy. Maybe in the Spring. The philosophy here might be: If you make the repair process feel like getting a cystoscopy at the MVA, people won't mind not having a working rear defroster. A cystoscopy, by the way, is when they look for bladder stones through a long scope rammed into your urethra.

Flacco is a great guy but, yeah, the team needs an energy shift. And I think we're all really looking forward to LJ getting some more game time!
I'd find a new dealer for the future and make sure that service manager knows why they won't be getting any more of your business.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
Mine are sanded and I inspected this vehicle right off the auto transport. In other words, it isn’t a dealership PDI fix.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adams Automotive and the missing "glob of solder" (rear defroster) {filename}

Last edited:

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What a dunce. I guess I sanded mine as well.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Why would you have sanded it? To what end??? Did you ask why she believes that you did this after you told her that you didn’t? What does she think you could possibly be trying to gain or achieve by sanding it, then bringing it to them to repair? So stupid.

And you’re right about Flacco. He’s better than average to good, but not great let alone elite. And Brees is 1 MVP and 1 more Super Bowl win away from being arguably in serious contention with Brady as the GOAT.
Being a Ravens fan but also being in a University of Delaware household, I’m conflicted about this. And yes... if Drew Brees spent his career in a large market he’d be beyond legendary. Imagine for a second if he was a Giant and not a Saint. The Giants almost made Eli Manning a legend.

Rich Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL Sport
I'd find a new dealer for the future and make sure that service manager knows why they won't be getting any more of your business.
Yeah, it might be a PITA to go out of your way (assuming that Adams was closer), but there are always other dealers who will be happy to take your money.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mine are sanded and I inspected this vehicle right of the auto transport. In other words, it isn’t a dealership PDI fix.

The OP should kindly walk the dealer rep over to other JLs on the lot to inspect this solder sanding craze that is taking the Jeep Nation by storm.