OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
So far I think most of those MPG figures we are seeing on the screen are rather meaningless. I think I'll reconfigure the cluster to get rid of most of that noise. :)

I'm going to assume 250-270 miles range when I do my next road trip.

My first tank of gas made it 645 miles, of which 290 miles where full hybrid highway type driving (mostly 45 to 65 MPH). That includes the drive back from the dealer and an 80 mile round trip to a trail. 40 miles of the drive to the trail was also in e-save to get there with full battery. It's interesting I crossed the 270 mark but those were slow highway speeds without much start/stop.

I have other ICE miles in there too but I'm not counting them since they were not long haul. They were mostly acceleration, running hybrid for a few miles on city driving.

I'm driving up to the Georgia mountains in a few weeks and won't have charging access for over a week. Plus I'll be heavily loaded with people/cargo/mountain bikes, in 70 MPH zones and going uphill. This should make a good worst case scenario test. :)

Last week I drove 37.5 miles total with 0.5 miles ICE. Trip MPG says 60 MPG. I think that would come out to 1500 MPG assuming my driving habits didn't change and the fuel refresh didn't kick in. All hypothetical and not counting cost of electricity.
Sponsored

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I have 1100 miles so far and when I fill up my range is about 370 miles. Our tanks are 17.2 gallons.
I am averaging about 24 mpg mostly city. I use the 27 electric miles each day first and recharge overnight.

I tool a trip last weekend that involved an average speed of about 68 mph. In the heavy winds I got a hc 18.5. On the return it was 20.1 with much calmer winds.

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I have 1100 miles so far and when I fill up my range is about 370 miles. Our tanks are 17.2 gallons.
I am averaging about 24 mpg mostly city. I use the 27 electric miles each day first and recharge overnight.

I tool a trip last weekend that involved an average speed of about 68 mph. In the heavy winds I got a hc 18.5. On the return it was 20.1 with much calmer winds.
Have you had the chance to travel and see if you were able to get 370 miles between all electric and hybrid? I wish mine was able to get those numbers. Do you have a Sahara or Rubicon?

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
How many total miles do you have on your Jeep? This is what my dash shows when I am full charge and gas. 277 miles range between both, I hope that goes up. I was looking forward to 370 mile range.
7E5BC64F-5671-496B-9D7E-8062797C7D47.jpeg
I have 921 miles and have had 400 and 300 mile road trips. Rubicon... Can't get the combined to show much higher because I wouldnt need gas if I had battery and give versa. I don't forever filling my take while fully charged

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Have you had the chance to travel and see if you were able to get 370 miles between all electric and hybrid? I wish mine was able to get those numbers. Do you have a Sahara or Rubicon?
The key obviously is to use electric as much as possible. I had to fill up today as this pipeline issue has people going crazy.

when I traveled on a 250 mile trip I got to my destination and I still had 120 miles to go. So yes. I will run more tests.

With so few miles on it the learning is still going on.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Posted this in another thread, but I just saw this so I will add it here.

Drove from Daytona Beach to Baltimore, full battery to start, no additional charging on the way:

Leg 1 - stopped at 330 miles (35 left to go) Full Tank Range = 365 miles
Leg 2 - stopped at 672 miles (37 left to go) Full Tank Range = 379 miles
Leg 3 - stopped at 876 miles (165 left to go) Full Tank Range = 369 miles

Stop 1 - 14.877 gallons
Stop 2 - 14.871 gallons
Arrival - 8.982 gallons
Total Gas used - 38.73 gallons

Electric Miles - 31.4
Gas Miles - 844.8
Total miles: 876.2

Calc MPG:
Total Miles/Total Gas = 22.6 mpg
Gas Miles/Total Gas = 21.8 mpg

Trip Display showed 24.1 mpg

I ran windows up, AC on the entire trip. I tried to keep it around 75mph, some stints at 80, some at 70. Hit some heavy rain and heavy traffic as well. Total drive time was just shy of 13 hours.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
My use case is complete opposites. I'm either running back and forth on short trips on all-electric or running long trips on gas. On my long trips, I've been pushing 80mph and getting fairly bad mileage, so my range hasn't broken 300 yet. If I kept it more like 65mph on longer trips I'd likely be up over 300 mile range and on my way to that 370. My long trips are relatively infrequent. My lifetime average gets up into the mid to high 30's, and then plummets back down to low to mid-20's after a long trip.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah it really feels like the Wrangler as a vehicle has a limit on highway efficiency. At 75+mph the aerodynamics are such a massive factor that it feels like powertrain starts to become almost a non-issue. Even the diesel is stuck in the high 20's, I think?

So in other words, I almost want to say when it comes to highway MPG there are 2 choices: diesel or anything other than the diesel.

If you have a lot of non-highway driving, then consider the 4xe. It feels like the 4xe is more efficient in electric mode around town than any ICE. But on the highway electric vs. ICE doesn't matter because so much energy is needed to push our giant boxes through the air. I feel like I'm wasting my electric range on the highway. So I've been settling into a pattern of always going e-save on the highway. I want to use the electric range off highway where it can make a difference.

Also I've been surprised just how pleasurable I find electric drive to be around town. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy it. I guess that's another reason I don't want to "waste" it on the highway. 😋

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Picked up in MO drove back to CO. 65 and under I was doing 20-20.5 mpg gas only. As soon as I hit 80 mph it dropped to ~14.8 mpg. And these are actual calculations not on board computer calculations

while I believe it will get marginally better as the engine breaks in more, I agree the forces acting against our refrigerator on wheels net poor gas mileage and mixed with a small gas tank, the range is pretty atrocious.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
To add to my last post:

I didn’t buy this vehicle for amazing gas mileage 🙃. Others said it best…smiles per gallon is where it’s at!

Sponsored

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
What is the actual range / mpg people are seeing on long drives? I have about a 220 mile drive after picking mine up tomorrow.

From what I've been reading I've been confused about it dropping down to 20 MPG in gas mode or somewhere around 27 MPG. Some people mention the battery running out but then I've seen others that say it's always in some form of hybrid mode and never goes full gas.
Even if the battery is not fully charged run it in the Hybrid mode for best mileage. Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
At first I was showing around 270 as total range when full, but after a couple thousand miles it started showing 350-370.

I’ve got around 500 miles on battery and 4,000 on gas from a few long trips.

C8AD3EA7-FDD2-424C-BB93-B1496963345A.jpeg

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
It shouldn't matter whether you have the Rubi or the Sahara as they are basically running the same size tires if the Sahara has 20's on it and the 4xe Sahara's have the heavy duty axles.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Jeep Wrangler JL Actual highway MPG range for 4xe? 435221main_drag_demo_946-710

Generally speaking, any vehicle traveling over 50mph is going to see a significant decrease in mpg with increasing speed. The faster you drive, the more air turbulence your brick generates (drag). More drag, less mpg, less range. You can use this calculator to find exactly how much your driving speed impacts your fuel economy.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp

Jeep Wrangler JL Actual highway MPG range for 4xe? Capture.PNG

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
It shouldn't matter whether you have the Rubi or the Sahara as they are basically running the same size tires if the Sahara has 20's on it and the 4xe Sahara's have the heavy duty axles.
About an inch difference in tire height and the Rubicon has a higher axle ration (4.10 vs. 3.73).
Sponsored