Sponsored

Active Noise Control (Cancellation) feature comes to Jeep Wrangler JL

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
I wear my Bose QC25's outside all the time. It deals with all kinds of ambient noise very well, but then again, the ear cup is enclosed, which is different than an open top vehicle. I think this is a cool feature, but I'm not expecting miracles out of it. It should be noticeable, though, because the technology is developed and mature.
I wear my QC20 buds all the time. They're almost as good as the older over-ear QuietComfort (QC15? cant remember) headphones I have. I don't think covering the ear is the issue.

I think to truly work they would need a camera to track your head position so the cancellation would be tuned just right like when you turn your head etc.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You have to wonder if it would really be effective with the top down. Our truck has 'noise cancelling' tech which is probably the same as what will come with the Wrangler. In the truck it is totally seamless and I think it makes some difference as the truck is very quiet inside but at what point will it be overwhelmed by outside noise.
This, along with the fact I just liked that extra storage space in the back, is why I didn't get a '15 with the new premium sound system when I was JK shopping. I nabbed a '14 with the older system instead. You can beef up, refine, and tweak the audio system all you want, but it's meaningless when the vehicle itself isn't quiet to begin with. Even with the insulated hard top on the JK while slowly driving down a freshly paved street, you aren't going to enjoy those subtle audio nuances when your tires are louder than your stereo.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This, along with the fact I just liked that extra storage space in the back, is why I didn't get a '15 with the new premium sound system when I was JK shopping. I nabbed a '14 with the older system instead. You can beef up, refine, and tweak the audio system all you want, but it's meaningless when the vehicle itself isn't quiet to begin with. Even with the insulated hard top on the JK while slowly driving down a freshly paved street, you aren't going to enjoy those subtle audio nuances when your tires are louder than your stereo.
I don't agree with that, at all. My 08 JK with the Infinity system sounds excellent, top down or up. I just drove a 17 JK for a week with the base audio system, and it wasn't even close to my Rubi. It sounded fair, but not great. I drove them back to back. The 17 with the hard top on, and the 08 with the doors off. The 17 had every advantage, but not nearly as good.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I don't agree with that, at all. My 08 JK with the Infinity system sounds excellent, top down or up. I just drove a 17 JK for a week with the base audio system, and it wasn't even close to my Rubi. It sounded fair, but not great. I drove them back to back. The 17 with the hard top on, and the 08 with the doors off. The 17 had every advantage, but not nearly as good.
I'm not comparing the base system and the premium one. I'm comparing both the premium ones. My '14 has the premium sound, too, but the '15 and up has a totally different system and a ton more power. And while it does sound slightly better, you simply aren't going to be able to enjoy every single facet of that system in a Wrangler as you would a much quieter and more interior-refined vehicle.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I wear my Bose QC25's outside all the time. It deals with all kinds of ambient noise very well, but then again, the ear cup is enclosed, which is different than an open top vehicle. I think this is a cool feature, but I'm not expecting miracles out of it. It should be noticeable, though, because the technology is developed and mature.
My GT500 with headers and off-road H pipe is pretty loud. I used Bose headphones to drown out a bunch of ambient noise when I drove from Naples to the Nurburgring in Germany. When you’re traveling at speeds in excess of 100MPH, a majority of the noise is from the wind/road. You almost can’t hear the engine. Anyway, I don’t expect the Wrangler to travel at those speeds, but I’m sure the Alpine system will mitigate a lot of steady-state white noise. Plus, after 20 years in the Submarine Service, I’m a little deaf, so I come equipped with my own noise cancellation built in.

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
No thanks... I dig the sound of the wind all around me... the exhaust, engine, tires... it's all music to me.

desertbuzz

First Name
Abbas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Any reviews / videos of the ANC on the JL ?..... Decibel comparisons with it ON / OFF ?

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
It uses engine RPM to sync and cancel engine noise. Does anyone know how affective these systems are with aftermarket exhaust and air filters?
Yes they assume stock engine noise levels, unlike the generic noise cancelling headphones. I'm sure it can be turned off if it's making things worse with aftermarket mods.

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I don't think there should be any expectation that ANC is going to do much to deal with top down driving. I do think it could do a lot in blocking out the higher ambient noise levels a vehicle like this typically has coming into the cabin when the top is up and one desires more stereo (or quiet or conversation) and less racket.
My Mustang convertible has ANC, but it shuts down when the top is lowered. The volume and sound curve is also modified.

Some owners don't like the Mustang ANC. No off switch. But they did find that if they disabled all of the microphones scattered around the cabin...it didn't activate!

Last edited:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
We need to get this thread going again with all the JL"s being delivered. No one can seem to find this setting in the UConnect system. If anyone knows where it is (if it's there) post it up here!

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
We need to get this thread going again with all the JL"s being delivered. No one can seem to find this setting in the UConnect system. If anyone knows where it is (if it's there) post it up here!
Is it really a setting or does it just do its job?

Willys42

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL (earlier M38A1 & 42 Willys)
We did a test drive today and had no luck finding a noise cancellation setting. A look at the online Owners Manual also failed to show anything under noise cancellation. Wranglers need this technology -- could be a huge disappointment...
Sponsored