Sponsored

Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) with aftermarket amp/speakers upgrade

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
If installing an aftermarket amp and speakers to 2.0 JLUR with ANC, does the Pac AmpPro AP4-CH1 bypass the ANC all-together? Or does it incorporate the offsetting sounds in the pre-outs to the new amp?

if bypassed, anyone care to share their driving experience with pre/post install. Of course the music should sound better, but curious as to highway driving/engine noise differences.

if not bypassed, would it continue to work with the new equipment or is the fix to disable the 4 microphones?

thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
think i answered my own question. looking at the audio system wiring diagram it appears the ANC goes into the amp and the DSP magic is done there. The Pac AmpPro is simply getting between the radio and the amp, thus bypassing the ANC all-together.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf

Only remaining question i have is... is it worth doing the amp/speaker upgrade and forgo the ANC? There seems to be limited feedback on user experiences thus far.

it's a jeep, i'm inclined to go ahead and upgrade. however it is the 2.0L model which has me hesitating a little.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I'm wondering the some thing. I have everything ready to install and have read that the ANC can play havoc with the Subs. I'm not sure if the PAC bypasses ANC or if I will have to unplug them. I think they are in the roll bar and in the trim above the front window but I haven't found anything that details the location. I want to be sure I don't disconnect the hand-free mic. Anyone know?

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i believe the 4 ANC mics are in the roll bars. in the JLU look above front and rear driver and passenger seats. i think the hands free mics are upfront. are you adding an amp/speakers for front and soundbar, or just adding/replacing the sub?

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
DSP/Amps for active 3-way fronts.

Amp and Dual 10" subs under the front seats.

Leaving the sounder stock since I won't use them unless top is off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do you have 2.0L Alpine Premium build? think that's the only configuration with ANC. So you are leaving the soundbar and sub as is? the PAC lets you disconnect the sub if you like. not sure what other ANC issues would remain with the soundbar though..

if you are doing the fronts, why not just change out the soundbar while your at it?

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Yes I have the 2.0 Rubicon with Alpine and ANC.

Throwing away the stock Alpine sub (likely selling). I have a blank trim panel and carpet to replace it.

My DSP has 8 channels and all will be used - 2 tweeters, 2 - 3" mids, 2 - 6.75" mid-woofers, 2 10" subs. Keeping the sounder speakers for fill only when the top is off (if even that), no need to upgrade or power the soundbar since the front stage is most important.

Started a build log on this forum.

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
then your only concern with ANC is possible soundbar interference. Out of curiosity, where did you source your trim panel / carpet stuff for removing the sub?

Any concerns on losing ANC? this is the only item probably holding me up.

good luck.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
My only concern is finding the easiest way to turn off ANC if it interferes with my higher powered subs. I’m hoping the PAC harness takes care of it. If not I’ll just disconnect the microphones. I’ve read that there are 4. I see little vents on the sound bar (2) so I assume they are there. Can’t seem to get a definitive answer from anyone.

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
from what i can tell, the ANC DSP stuff happens in the stock amp (thats where the 4 ANC mic are connected) so the subs should be fine. it's the soundbar speakers that remain connected that might cause an issue. i could be wrong though.
Sponsored