ActionTrax good alternative or not?

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I know lots of folks have recovery tracks... but when I searched on "trax" or "maxtrax" or "actiontrax", my apparent lack of search term mojo let me down again.

Does anyone have any experience with USActionTrax and are they a useful alternative to MaxTrax? Anything else that's as good or better?

Editing for a little bump to hopefully elicit a reply... anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I know lots of folks have recovery tracks... but when I searched on "trax" or "maxtrax" or "actiontrax", my apparent lack of search term mojo let me down again.

Does anyone have any experience with USActionTrax and are they a useful alternative to MaxTrax? Anything else that's as good or better?

Editing for a little bump to hopefully elicit a reply... anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

After watching a lot of videos, I ordered a set of ActionTrax, which should be arriving today. I like their design, durability, and that they are US made.

I have a feeling I will be wondering what took me so long to pony up for some good traction boards. There have been so many situations over the years where they probably would have solved the problem very quickly. We'll see...

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Good luck.

I was surprised no one responded on this thread. I thought it was a reasonable topic and question... yet things like keyhole covers and "i sold my jeep" get tons of response. Go figure! :LOL:

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
Looks like I'll be the one to reply/resurrect this topic. I am considering traction boards as one of my primary recovery tools. I don't wont to install a permanently mounted winch due to weight, cost, and the need for a bumper for it (again weight). My question is without a roof rack what are some good options for externally mounting the traction boards?

I have seen a pick on JK where there was a strap from the gutter on the hardtop to below the edge hardtop. Someone had utilized this to hold their boards. However, I can't seem to find one now.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I tried calling for a week and then contacted a few vendors and one told me, with the Rona, that they were shut down they thought because even they couldn’t get ahold of anyone.

I tried...but got the Aussie version. Now I’m kinda committed so they stack well. I’d love to support a US company in the future but I need the product support.

Sponsored

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I'll be the one to reply/resurrect this topic. I am considering traction boards as one of my primary recovery tools. I don't wont to install a permanently mounted winch due to weight, cost, and the need for a bumper for it (again weight). My question is without a roof rack what are some good options for externally mounting the traction boards?

I have seen a pick on JK where there was a strap from the gutter on the hardtop to below the edge hardtop. Someone had utilized this to hold their boards. However, I can't seem to find one now.
I carry mine inside, to protect them from theft and unnecessary exposure to the weather, UV, etc.
I made a basic wooden shelf across the back, behind the back seat, using the hardtop bolt locations. This provides a convenient platform for all kinds of things, but the actiontrax ride there perfectly, and are also very easy to access when you need them more than once on a trail. I wrap them up in a piece of canvas (that doubles as a picnic table cover or groundcloth, etc.) and have a large plastic bag for stowing the away after use in muddy or wet conditions. I strap everything down securely with NRS 1" cambuckle straps (highly recomended item!).

The actiontrax also stow well lashed to the back of the rear seat itself, using the child seat tether mounts, but I use that space and needed the shelf space anyway for camping.

Jeep Wrangler JL ActionTrax good alternative or not? simple_shelf_ (1)

I tried calling for a week and then contacted a few vendors and one told me, with the Rona, that they were shut down they thought because even they couldn’t get ahold of anyone.

I tried...but got the Aussie version. Now I’m kinda committed so they stack well. I’d love to support a US company in the future but I need the product support.
Bummer, but I'm sure it was a fluke around the Rona and the holidays. I ordered direct from the factory and had them in less than a week.

Update: used them in snow again today, they worked great!
Jeep Wrangler JL ActionTrax good alternative or not? 20210220_102139_copy_800x450

Last edited:

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dustdriver,
Those are some excellent suggestions. I was primarily thinking external mounting only. I don't intend for them to be permanently mounted. I will only wheel occasionally (another reason for not wanting a permanent which mounted) so I may look for a good soft bag to out them in after using them and strap them to the back seats.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to carry these without a roof rack? The typical over the rear tire mount isn't ideal because of the rear view camera.

Boondoggle

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
dustdriver,
Those are some excellent suggestions. I was primarily thinking external mounting only. I don't intend for them to be permanently mounted. I will only wheel occasionally (another reason for not wanting a permanent which mounted) so I may look for a good soft bag to out them in after using them and strap them to the back seats.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to carry these without a roof rack? The typical over the rear tire mount isn't ideal because of the rear view camera.
For my 2021 JLUR... I went with a setup where the recovery boards mount onto a Rago Fabrication Mount.
Rago Fabrication recovery board mount for High-Lift Jack https://www.ragofabrication.com/products/maxtrax-mounts-for-hi-lift-jack

I had to first buy and install the Teraflex High-Lift Jack mount onto the spare tire carrier mounts
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-hi-lift-jack-mount-bracket-kit?vehicle=JLU Wrangler Unlimited

The High-Lift Jack mount (you can also buy a Teraflex RotopaX gas can mount in case you want to mount a gas can instead of the recovery boards) mounts on the rear tailgate on the right side of the spare tire up to 37” spare tire.

Hope that helps.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For my 2021 JLUR... I went with a setup where the recovery boards mount onto a Rago Fabrication Mount.
Rago Fabrication recovery board mount for High-Lift Jack https://www.ragofabrication.com/products/maxtrax-mounts-for-hi-lift-jack

I had to first buy and install the Teraflex High-Lift Jack mount onto the spare tire carrier mounts
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-hi-lift-jack-mount-bracket-kit?vehicle=JLU Wrangler Unlimited

The High-Lift Jack mount (you can also buy a Teraflex RotopaX gas can mount in case you want to mount a gas can instead of the recovery boards) mounts on the rear tailgate on the right side of the spare tire up to 37” spare tire.

Hope that helps.
I would love to see a picture of your set up as I am having a hard time visualizing the lego pieces.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have no experience with this brand of traction mats. I went with a folding traction mat from gotreads because of the reviews I read online and their easy of storage in my JLUR. I used them several times last summer to help people in the sand but have not needed them otherwise.
https://gotreads.com/
Have a good one,
Larry

819CA4E9-19FD-4D15-954B-2682563840B9.jpeg

0043DDD1-713C-403C-9478-FEE77013B613.jpeg

Sponsored

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I ordered a set from Costco - they seem pretty beefy, and are reasonably priced. Can't give feedback on how they hold up until we get to bust them out :D

Boondoggle

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would love to see a picture of your set up as I am having a hard time visualizing the lego pieces.
I will take a couple of pics over the weekend and send them to you.

In response to the MaxTrax versus ActionTrax question, I chose the ActionTrax boards. I ordered two sets of ActionTrax boards from Quadratec but have not received them yet. One pair is the standard ActionTrax ($269/pair) and the second pair has 72 pre-installed metal "teeth". The ActionTrax boards with the metal teeth ($349/pair) are unfortunately back ordered until 3/15. I plan to stack all 4 ActionTrax boards together and mount them onto the Rago Fabrication mount using XL size pins.

The Rago High-Lift Jack mount I referenced in my earlier post is made to fit either the MaxTrax or ActionTrax recovery boards. Not sure if it will work with other recovery boards since the Rago Fabrication mount is a little unique.

FYI, I chose the ActionTrax boards because it’s made in the USA (Kansas), has a 5-yr warranty, quality DuPont materials, and slightly lower cost than MaxTrax boards. I’ve watched a ton of reviews on YouTube where they were put into rough situations and survived extremely well.

Supposedly the ActionTrax has a higher weight capacity and I have a 33,000 lb RV with a Freightliner M2 chassis that I need to be able to get “unstuck” if needed.

There are a ton of YouTube video reviews of the ActionTrax in action with Jeeps, other SUV’s, fire and military vehicle application. If a fire engine or loaded Hummer can get unstuck using ActionTrax boards, RT rrrer r good enough for me.

I have a pair of X-Bull recovery boards today that I am replacing with the ActionTrax because the weight capacity is better, and the quality of the materials is much on the ActionTrax. Regardless the X-Bull will likely not fit.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed

Looking at traction boards for the exact same reasons as you, planning to mount them to the spare tire! Some brands like maxtrax have their own tire mounts you can buy, but lots of diy ones on youtube (basically just ratchet straps)

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no experience with this brand of traction mats. I went with a folding traction mat from gotreads because of the reviews I read online and their easy of storage in my JLUR. I used them several times last summer to help people in the sand but have not needed them otherwise.
https://gotreads.com/
Have a good one,
Larry

Jeep Wrangler JL ActionTrax good alternative or not? 0043DDD1-713C-403C-9478-FEE77013B613

Jeep Wrangler JL ActionTrax good alternative or not? 0043DDD1-713C-403C-9478-FEE77013B613
I have been tempted by these for this very reason

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase