Sponsored

Achilles desert hawk m/t

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
Anybody ever have these tires before? Pros cons?? I’m about to pull the trigger on them for my completely stock 2020 JL sport a 2dr and just want to make sure I’m not going to regret them. I’ve researched them and the only negative thing I can find is performance on wet pavement can be bad/downright scary. This is my daily driver so I’m a little concerned about that. If you guys have any other suggestions for a 33 mud tire that is not crazy expensive And still drives comfortable I’m open for suggestions.
https://simpletire.com/achilles-285-70r17-mao287017-tires
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Anybody ever have these tires before? Pros cons?? I’m about to pull the trigger on them for my completely stock 2020 JL sport a 2dr and just want to make sure I’m not going to regret them. I’ve researched them and the only negative thing I can find is performance on wet pavement can be bad/downright scary. This is my daily driver so I’m a little concerned about that. If you guys have any other suggestions for a 33 mud tire that is not crazy expensive And still drives comfortable I’m open for suggestions.
https://simpletire.com/achilles-285-70r17-mao287017-tires
I don't have any experience with these tires. I don't know why but something that touches the ground and is named Achilles doesn't sit well with me...

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
The tread depth and pattern is very old school. I used tires like this in Arizona 50 years ago, and they were great for desert offroad. Very noisy on pavement, not good for rain or snow.

Sponsored

LIVESTRONG

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Any suggestions for something around that price range?
A log of folks here running the Milestar Patagonia MT's...I found a deal on the 295/70/17's (cheaper than the 285/70/17's) and love them so far.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
A log of folks here running the Milestar Patagonia MT's...I found a deal on the 295/70/17's (cheaper than the 285/70/17's) and love them so far.
That's what I run too (even the same size). I have 10k miles on mine thus far and they've performed well, even had them in an ice storm and I made it home alive, and that's when they were aired to 40psi!!!

OP asked me about cheap mud tires, a buddy of mine has some of the Achilles tires on his Dakota 4x4 and had good experience w/ them. He asked me specifically about mud tires, even though the Patagonias say M/T on their sidewall they're a hybrid AT/MT design. The extra tread in the center of the tread block takes some of the true mud tire performance out of the tire. This isn't a problem for most of us that want tires that are good all around performers, OP was asking me (via a PM) about mud specific tires so that's why I didn't put the Patagonias out there :)

FWIW, not sure if any mud specific tires would be something that would perform well in the rain, just not enough tread on the road at all times.

OP
OP
Northern88

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to change it up and go with the Patagonia tires now, seems to be the better all around choice. Found some online for about 190 a tire. How well do they do in the mud/washed out trails? I'll pretty much just be using them for that besides the daily driving on pavement.