Sponsored

Acetone and HotHead Headliners - Warning! - and make fun of me if you want...

Pete_the_JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Bummer about the trim pieces for sure. :(

I installed mine with the top on. I ended up wetting the sandpaper to keep the dust to a minimum. Very little clean up was needed.
Sponsored

BigG2

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
This is a warning for anyone who is looking to install HotHead headliners (other headliners may be similar)

Got my brand-new 4xe yesterday. today I went to install my HotHead headliners that I had bought a while back. The instructions say to scuff the surfaces with sandpaper, and then clean with acetone. That's all it says. So I scuffed with sandpaper, and cleaned with acetone. Now, of course, by sanding some fine white dust settled on other plastic pieces of the Jeep and such. So I figure I have a towel full of a cleaner, I'll just wipe it all down. DON'T DO THAT. Acetone will ruin, I mean totally ruin any of the dark plastic pieces on the Jeep that it touches. And now I have several parts of my Jeep that are ruined...

Now obviously I am an idiot to not know this intuitively, because when I called HotHead and spoke to Mark (the owner), who was very nice, to ask him why he didn't put a simple warning to make sure that you do not touch any of the other plastic parts with the acetone, he said this is the first time in 10 years anyone has ever complained to him about it. So I guess even though I'm a college educated computer security expert, it seems I am also an idiot and I should've known this, so please all the people who want to make fun of me go ahead. But if it stops just one person from making the same mistake that I made and stops them from ruining their brand-new Jeep than it's worth it.

I'm going to look to see about replacing a few pieces of plastic on my Jeep. And Mark from HotHead offered to help make it right, so I don't want to badmouth HotHead in any way (the headliners look great and are easy to install notwithstanding this issue), and if really no one has ever complained in 10 years than maybe I really just am and idiot do not know this!
I am new to this but thank you for letting me know, will watch out when I do it..I was trying to order a hotheads headlinerfor my 4XE but I did not see it available in their website, which one did you buy?