Sponsored

Acetone and HotHead Headliners - Warning! - and make fun of me if you want...

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
This is a warning for anyone who is looking to install HotHead headliners (other headliners may be similar)

Got my brand-new 4xe yesterday. today I went to install my HotHead headliners that I had bought a while back. The instructions say to scuff the surfaces with sandpaper, and then clean with acetone. That's all it says. So I scuffed with sandpaper, and cleaned with acetone. Now, of course, by sanding some fine white dust settled on other plastic pieces of the Jeep and such. So I figure I have a towel full of a cleaner, I'll just wipe it all down. DON'T DO THAT. Acetone will ruin, I mean totally ruin any of the dark plastic pieces on the Jeep that it touches. And now I have several parts of my Jeep that are ruined...

Now obviously I am an idiot to not know this intuitively, because when I called HotHead and spoke to Mark (the owner), who was very nice, to ask him why he didn't put a simple warning to make sure that you do not touch any of the other plastic parts with the acetone, he said this is the first time in 10 years anyone has ever complained to him about it. So I guess even though I'm a college educated computer security expert, it seems I am also an idiot and I should've known this, so please all the people who want to make fun of me go ahead. But if it stops just one person from making the same mistake that I made and stops them from ruining their brand-new Jeep than it's worth it.

I'm going to look to see about replacing a few pieces of plastic on my Jeep. And Mark from HotHead offered to help make it right, so I don't want to badmouth HotHead in any way (the headliners look great and are easy to install notwithstanding this issue), and if really no one has ever complained in 10 years than maybe I really just am and idiot do not know this!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my Headliners but I took off the top entirely to install them. I also did not know the use of Acetone but after I looked it up, I chose not to use Acetone instead after I vacuum and clean up manually. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

InTooJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '07 Trailblazer
This is a warning for anyone who is looking to install HotHead headliners (other headliners may be similar)

Got my brand-new 4xe yesterday. today I went to install my HotHead headliners that I had bought a while back. The instructions say to scuff the surfaces with sandpaper, and then clean with acetone. That's all it says. So I scuffed with sandpaper, and cleaned with acetone. Now, of course, by sanding some fine white dust settled on other plastic pieces of the Jeep and such. So I figure I have a towel full of a cleaner, I'll just wipe it all down. DON'T DO THAT. Acetone will ruin, I mean totally ruin any of the dark plastic pieces on the Jeep that it touches. And now I have several parts of my Jeep that are ruined...

Now obviously I am an idiot to not know this intuitively, because when I called HotHead and spoke to Mark (the owner), who was very nice, to ask him why he didn't put a simple warning to make sure that you do not touch any of the other plastic parts with the acetone, he said this is the first time in 10 years anyone has ever complained to him about it. So I guess even though I'm a college educated computer security expert, it seems I am also an idiot and I should've known this, so please all the people who want to make fun of me go ahead. But if it stops just one person from making the same mistake that I made and stops them from ruining their brand-new Jeep than it's worth it.

I'm going to look to see about replacing a few pieces of plastic on my Jeep. And Mark from HotHead offered to help make it right, so I don't want to badmouth HotHead in any way (the headliners look great and are easy to install notwithstanding this issue), and if really no one has ever complained in 10 years than maybe I really just am and idiot do not know this!
I commend you for owning up to your mistake though. Tough lesson to learn. All too often, people this day and age are quick to blame others for their ignorance. So I give you my respect and empathy. Too bad for your brand new Jeep. Must suck to suck :facepalm:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
90% alcohol that you can buy at the drug store will also work just as well.

Sponsored

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

When I read the installation instructions that called for doing the install in place I said NO WAY. I've been involved with fiberglass in boats forever and you do everything you can to mitigate the spread of the dust created when you sand or grind it. Sanding that roof on the truck is just asking for a lifetime of itching. If I get the headliners, will pull the top and do it upside down with gravity and containment of the dust handled.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order

Thank you for posting this. You likely saved me and others from making a similar mistake.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
When I read the installation instructions that called for doing the install in place I said NO WAY. I've been involved with fiberglass in boats forever and you do everything you can to mitigate the spread of the dust created when you sand or grind it. Sanding that roof on the truck is just asking for a lifetime of itching. If I get the headliners, will pull the top and do it upside down with gravity and containment of the dust handled.
You don't have to sand that much. I did mine in place and it was no big deal to vacuum up what little bit there was. No itching so far :)

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
I have seen others restore aged or exposed black plastic trim pieces with a heat gun, may be worth a try.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
1) That sucks.
2) Yes you should have known this.

I AM surprised that the directions say to sand and acetone the top while it's installed, as that sounds like a miserable way to do it, but I think this one is on you. As above you could try heat (gently) or a product like mother's like back-to-black depending on what exactly has happened. Are we talking about plastic that has lost its shine, or plastic pieces where the outer coating has been removed?

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Sorry this happen to your Jeep. We all make mistakes. I have done plenty of stupid stuff. Sometimes I find a way out of my mistakes, sometimes not. But now I am glad I ordered the factory headliner. Maybe you can replace the worst of the parts.

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
When I sanded my top, I used a wet towel with the sandpaper and the dust was minimal. I cleaned with 90% IPA.

The only issue I have is the smell, I am going on three weeks now.

Other than the smell, which is hopefully going away, they are great.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I installed HotHeads with the top in place (except freedom panels) and dust wasn’t an issue at all. You’re only supposed to scuff the surface a bit, not sand it. This creates minimal dust. As Bill mentioned above, a wet towel will eliminate the minimal dust created.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Don't worry everyone screws up at least you manned up with it. Acetone is some nasty stuff with plastic. If you do any welding you will want a gallon or so of it around to clean metal but damn sure make it's evaporated away before welding or cutting.
Now don't mix bleach and ammonia cleaning something.😉
Sponsored