ACE Slider Install - Hints from fellow JL/JLU Owner's

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
  • I start this thread with high hopes that other's who have done the Ace Slider install, will post here what their experience was with the install on their JL/JLU.

$ Important: Call ACE to order your Ace products and ask them for the forum discount or military discount and save a few $.

The info in this thread will also be pertinent to those that install any brand of slider that uses the vehicle's body bolts to secure the sliders to the vehicle.

Note: If your JL/JLU has rock rails/ "rubi rails", they do not need to be removed in order to do the Ace Slider install. The Ace Sliders use the body bolts for mounting and the rock rails do not.

The install of Ace Sliders on a new Jl/JLU is really an easy process even if you are not that mechanically inclined... regardless of whether you are a 16yo or 80+ yo.

You will need the following tools for the slider install:
    1. Long Handle (say 24") Breaker Bar Tool 1/2" Drive
    2. 6" Extension Bar 1/2" drive
    3. Torque Wrench 1/2" Drive
    4. 18mm 12 pt. 1/2" drive socket
    5. Small Pry Bar
    Note: With a short handle ratchet you may not be able to get the leverage necessary to break the body bolt loose.

Do have a second set of hands (Wife or Husband will do) as it is easier to deal with the install if you have somebody help you hold the slider up during the install versus balancing the slider on buckets, etc..

Important: When you break loose the body bolt(s) and then when unloosening to remove, you pull downward on the bolt a little or it will often just turn, turn, turn and not come out. You can place a small pry bar, etc. between bolt head and frame (see pic below) and use it to apply a little downward pressure on the body bolt when unscrewing it and they come right out.

Do one slider at a time. Do not remove all body bolts on the vehicle at the same time!

Torque body bolts to the torque recommended by Ace.
    Not torquing to properly may find the bolts working loose/ walking out, in a few days!

When reinstalling body bolt(s), always insert bolt and hand tighten it first! You do not want to cross thread the body bolt
    . You must push firmly upward when trying to thread the body bolt or it will not grab and just keep turning and turning without grabbing. Tighten up the body bolt real tight with a socket wrench. Careful not to over tighten and break the body bolt.

After both sliders are bolted up, use a torque wrench to torque all the body bolts to the torque recommended by Ace. If you do not have a torque wrench, you can drive a couple of miles or so to a friend that has a torque wrench or to a local automotive shop and have them torque the body bolts for you.

You can do no harm by trying / doing your own Ace Slider install. Worse case scenario you have to get someone at the last minute to help you out.....you have to drive to your local shade tree mechanic/garage with a body bolt partially in or out. And of course, your local stealership will bail you out..

Note: If you don't have the 24" breaker bar tool, pry bar and the socket, go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy them. Save your receipt! You can do as many others do, (yeah, maybe not right to do so but..) use the tool and then return to where you purchased for a full refund on the same day. The socket will probably not be refundable as it will be marred with use but the handle will not see any evidence of use as long as you don't bang it around. As far as the torque wrench to do the torquing..... IF you don't have one just stop by a local Mom and Pop garage and ask the guy there for him to use his torque wrench to torque the bolts.(Takes 5 min.) He will either charge you a few $ or do for a small say $10 tip. (Most guys/gals that own torque wrenches will wisely not loan them out) You can always buy a torque wrench and return that as you do the breaker handle. Reality is the tools mentioned are nice to have around the home garage so you may just want to buy and keep.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
That's a hell of a post for 6 bolts :)

Also what size socket for the bolts? I did the ACE sliders on my JK but can't remember.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the ACE rails so I'm excited to get them on. Already have my breaker bar and 18mm socket ready.

Sponsored

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I got the ACE rails installed yesterday and drove back home just fine but this morning while leaving to work I noticed that they are squeaking(especially the driver side) when I’m making turns or during stop and go. Not sure if they have gotten loose in just one ride or this is normal and expected after installation. Also, I’m positive it’s the rails because when I stand on it and gently jump I can hear the squeak.

Is this normal guys ?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
The ones I had on my JK never did that.

My rails I ordered on the 21st I still haven't heard anything about.

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The ones I had on my JK never did that.

My rails I ordered on the 21st I still haven't heard anything about.
I ordered mine on 2/18 from North Ridge 4x4 and it is still in "Processing" with no updates.

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I ordered mine on 2/18 from North Ridge 4x4 and it is still in "Processing" with no updates.
I ordered mine from Northridge on 2/22. On 2/24 I got an email with invoice. On the invoice it says "Drop shipped from manufacturer." I think that means that they just send the order over to ACE and they fulfill it when they are ready to go. I think on the ACE website (or maybe someone posted here) it says about two weeks to get your sliders. I've got my 24" breaker and torque wrench waiting and ready to go.

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
A question about quality... The lone review on Quadratec for the JL version of the ACE sliders is 1 star. They claim the finish was not real powder coat and that the fit was not great. If you already have them on your JL...how would you respond to that review? Are they being rushed to market and just not dialed in yet or did that person simply get a bad set?

Sponsored

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I really love mine. They look great and solid. There were 2 issues that would have improved my experience.

1. The sliders contact the frame at the front mounting point. The caused a loud creaking sound when driving. I had to put some rubber between the two pieces to make that go away. That worked and they are silent now. So the fit wasn't just right.

2. Including some instructions would have been nice. At first I thought they sent the wrong thing because I thought they bolts up to the rubi sliders. They don't. In hindsight it's pretty easy. But knowing what to expect when removing the body mounts would have been nice. Just a sheet of paper, anything.....

Otherwise they are great, and built like a tank. These things are going to get scratched up, so not too worried about touching up as needed. I'd still recommend them. They are great t deal with over the phone.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7D03F9B5-D3CB-4C66-A121-52A33EE9D25D.jpeg
I completely agree the slider on the driver side does contact the frame which was causing my creaking noise. After filing the edge down slightly it stopped the creak. Poor design...:no:

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm going to cancel my order.
Sorry if I ruined it for you, I was implying they could have done a better job. I still like mine, they do look solid on the vehicle.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if I ruined it for you, I was implying they could have done a better job. I still like mine, they do look solid on the vehicle.
No you were like the 3rd of 3 install feedback that I saw with poor fitment.
Sponsored