zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
7D03F9B5-D3CB-4C66-A121-52A33EE9D25D.jpeg
I completely agree the slider on the driver side does contact the frame which was causing my creaking noise. After filing the edge down slightly it stopped the creak. Poor design...:no:
How much did you need to file down? Are we talking by hand or with an angle grinder? Do you think I should do this preemptively before installing, or put them on to see if there's an issue first?
Sponsored

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How much did you need to file down? Are we talking by hand or with an angle grinder? Do you think I should do this preemptively before installing, or put them on to see if there's an issue first?
That picture was taken after loosening the bolts halfway so it protruding more than what it was. I don't suggest preemptively filing it, but what you can do is first tighten all 3 bolts halfway through and then have someone push hard on the front side of the rail inward and you simultaneously tightening it to the recommended torque specs, then tighten the next one in the order.

Drive that way for a day or two and see it's not rubbing with the body if it does then loosen up all three bolds to gain access to the filing area and file it as needed, probably not a bad idea to stick some rubber material too for extra protection.

Hope that helps.
CJ

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
That picture was taken after loosening the bolts halfway so it protruding more than what it was. I don't suggest preemptively filing it, but what you can do is first tighten all 3 bolts halfway through and then have someone push hard on the front side of the rail inward and you simultaneously tightening it to the recommended torque specs, then tighten the next one in the order.

Drive that way for a day or two and see it's not rubbing with the body if it does then loosen up all three bolds to gain access to the filing area and file it as needed, probably not a bad idea to stick some rubber material too for extra protection.

Hope that helps.
CJ
Did you contact ACE and let them know this issue?

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there any indication that ace is working on a change to fix the problem? I'll just wait or if there is no indication they are going to change it then I'll look at other options.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Is there any indication that ace is working on a change to fix the problem? I'll just wait or if there is no indication they are going to change it then I'll look at other options.
There is no significant issue actually. Most that you need to do is file/grind a very little bit on the slider mount flange itself. (Takes 5 min.) Many have installed and not needed to do this. Much depends about how careful you line up things before you tighten/torque the body bolts. Can tell you if anyone is squeamish about having to properly position or having to file a little bit, they don't want to be doing any slider install that involves body bolts, themselves.

No, you should not have worry about such things .Ace should tweak things a bit during manufacture, so, so much concern does not need to be made in regard to positioning when doing the install.

Last edited:

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I'm expecting to get mine soon and was wondering how the install works. I understand they use the 3 body bolts on each side but had a couple questions. Do they use washers? How was 80lbs of torque determined if there are no instructions? Thanks!

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I'm expecting to get mine soon and was wondering how the install works. I understand they use the 3 body bolts on each side but had a couple questions. Do they use washers? How was 80lbs of torque determined if there are no instructions? Thanks!
Geeez, did you read my first very very wordy post.. ;)

On each side ---> 3 body bolts on the JLU and 2 body bolts on JL
See the pic in my first post of body bolt - picture is worth a thousand words
Read my first post.. it goes into more detail then most instructions you find with such add-ons.
Read all the other posts in this thread. Careful in regard to metal to metal contact when installing..

Last edited:

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@FatBoy01 Thanks for the write up. Will look into the positioning of my rail today as I am getting the creak.

Just curious - during your install, on the front body bolts - did just the washer and bolt come out or did the larger metal cylinder that resembles the lid of a jar (about the size of a hockey puck) come off too? My passenger side stayed put, drivers side came off (though no indication anything broke), have the creak on the drivers side and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the "puck" coming off.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@FatBoy01 Thanks for the write up. Will look into the positioning of my rail today as I am getting the creak.

Just curious - during your install, on the front body bolts - did just the washer and bolt come out or did the larger metal cylinder that resembles the lid of a jar (about the size of a hockey puck) come off too? My passenger side stayed put, drivers side came off (though no indication anything broke), have the creak on the drivers side and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the "puck" coming off.
To be honest, I have done the Ace Slider install on a few JK's but never on a JL. Never had the "jar lid" thing you speak of come off.

Jk or JL though, install is same same.

Never had any creaking issues with the JK installs.

I have had a few guys here message me saying thanks for the write up and they have no creak and I have had a couple of guys say they have the creak. A couple of guys did light grinding and corrected the issue. A couple used/inserted rubber pads with some success.

Could just be a difference in positioning, torquing or maybe Ace needs to tweak / grind say an edge when they manufacture so there is less chance of metal to metal contact if that by chance is the issue.

Hopefully, ACE will step up and talk candidly about and or address this issue.

edit:
3/7/18 3:40pm EST ---I just sent Ace customer service a message requesting that they check out this thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I have done the Ace Slider install on a few JK's but never on a JL. Never had the "jar lid" thing you speak of come off.

Jk or JL though, install is same same.

Never had any creaking issues with the JK installs.

I have had a few guys here message me saying thanks for the write up and they have no creak and I have had a couple of guys say they have the creak. A couple of guys did light grinding and corrected the issue. A couple used/inserted rubber pads with some success.

Could just be a difference in positioning, torquing or maybe Ace needs to tweak / grind say an edge when they manufacture so there is less chance of metal to metal contact if that by chance is the issue.

Hopefully, ACE will step up and talk candidly about and or address this issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. Apparently the front body bolt setup is different from the JK (according to ACE). I've been in contact iwht them and will let everyone know if there is an official fix. I do know it's happening to very few JLs - so at least there's that.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thanks for the quick reply. Apparently the front body bolt setup is different from the JK (according to ACE). I've been in contact iwht them and will let everyone know if there is an official fix. I do know it's happening to very few JLs - so at least there's that.
3/7/18 3:40pm EST ---I just sent Ace customer service a message requesting that they check out this thread.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
To reword my last question, does the body washer stay against the frame or go under the rock rails?

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
And here's some audio:

That should auto start at the first creak and there are a few more noticeable ones a few seconds later.
That can get annoying. I have mine on order. Not sure if I should cancel them or not. I emailed Ace Engineering as well to see if they have a solution.
Sponsored