ACE Slider Install - Hints from fellow JL/JLU Owner's

JDBull7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi JLU
I installed my ACE sliders on Saturday and love them!! I’d also like to thank everyone on this thread for all the input, tips, tricks, help and ideas on how to make the install go easy.

After hearing some of the issues I was unsure I wanted to do this myself but after reading all the excellent input I decided to go for it. I know it’s only 6 bolts but those front ones were a bear.

All the help made it really easy even for a new JL owner and novice modder like me.

Thanks again.
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
The Rubi Rail has some adjustment available in the mounts. Make sure they loosen and push the Rubi Rail all the way in before re-tightening. That should allow the Rock Slider to clear.

Thank you,
@ACE Engineering

I also noticed today that the driver side slider is contacting the Rubi Rail and causing it to contact the rocker/paint/body between the doors on my JLUR. I noticed that the welds that join the "spokes" (for lack of the proper term, the 4"ish tubes that join the main slider bars) to the bar that runs the length under the Rubi Rails are quite thick and contact the Rubi Rails right at the brackets that hold them to the body. There's a pressed U shape in the bracket that aligns perfectly with the thick welds on the sliders. You say there's some adjustability to the Rubi Rails but because they're bolted to the pinch welds I don't see any opportunity for adjustability in and out. What is the solution to this issue? Should I grind down the aforemention welds on the sliders?

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
@ACE Engineering

I also noticed today that the driver side slider is contacting the Rubi Rail and causing it to contact the rocker/paint/body between the doors on my JLUR. I noticed that the welds that join the "spokes" (for lack of the proper term, the 4"ish tubes that join the main slider bars) to the bar that runs the length under the Rubi Rails are quite thick and contact the Rubi Rails right at the brackets that hold them to the body. There's a pressed U shape in the bracket that aligns perfectly with the thick welds on the sliders. You say there's some adjustability to the Rubi Rails but because they're bolted to the pinch welds I don't see any opportunity for adjustability in and out. What is the solution to this issue? Should I grind down the aforemention welds on the sliders?
I'm sorry you're having this issue - this is not something we've seen or heard of before. If possible can you give us a call at 586-785-3939 and ask for AJ? He's our Production Supervisor and would like to talk this out with you to see if we can figure out what is happening here.

Thank you,

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I'm sorry you're having this issue - this is not something we've seen or heard of before. If possible can you give us a call at 586-785-3939 and ask for AJ? He's our Production Supervisor and would like to talk this out with you to see if we can figure out what is happening here.

Thank you,
Okay, will do.

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
I would like you thank everyone on this thread as it was very helpful in deciding what to go with and of course the install tips. I have no experience whatsoever with any type of car modifications, besides car audio stuff. I went out and bought a 18" breaker bar, 6" extension, socket, and torque wrench (which are tools that's I've never used before). The driver side came in first so I did that one day and did the passenger the next day. Driver side was pretty easy, no issues at all. Once bolts were loose and spinning, I used a long screw driver to pry down and I spun the socket with my hand. The next day, maybe I was sore from the day before because everything seemed harder. The front bolt was so tight and the middle bolt was hard to pry loose. I took my time and eventually everything was done. Works great as a step and saved my rubi rails at least once so far.
00E96969-9D8C-4131-AAF7-C73D31A75AE8.jpeg
13EAEF8A-6E89-4EAB-904F-481F3E134C95.jpeg
3A171ACE-6CC0-41E1-B2F1-6E693EF2B8EC.jpeg

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Do you have a write of your attachment of the lights and where you tapped into the dome light? That looks amazing!
Thanks! When I installed the brawlee rear led I taped into the rear center dome light. I used that same wire to hook up to the slider lights. That way it’s works with the any door open to activate them. The rear dome light pops down go easy. And I removed the panels on the drivers side of the bar. It’s tight to work on but it’s doable. Hope this helps. No relays needed, led lights don’t draw very much amperage.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Thanks! When I installed the brawlee rear led I taped into the rear center dome light. I used that same wire to hook up to the slider lights. That way it’s works with the any door open to activate them. The rear dome light pops down go easy. And I removed the panels on the drivers side of the bar. It’s tight to work on but it’s doable. Hope this helps. No relays needed, led lights don’t draw very much amperage.
Also you will need to add wiring to the led slider lights. What is supplied isn’t very long. I used zippier cord and heat shrink and soldered every connection

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
Also you will need to add wiring to the led slider lights. What is supplied isn’t very long. I used zippier cord and heat shrink and soldered every connection
Great to know, thanks for the tips!!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well the 2dr. Slider's for the JL went on today. No clearance issues on either side. 8-) All seems aok.
I'd say there is a little more then an1/8".... probably, 3/16" clearance everywhere..

I opted to replace all 4 body bolts with 4 new body bolts from Mopar.

I wanted new body bolts that were not stressed by factory putting them in, or the process of getting those suckers out.

All 4 new body bolts had a blueish purple color thread locker on them. No dreaded, red thread locker. Torqued to 76 ft/lb per recommendation of 3 different Mopar Techs rec..

I might mention that once again, I found @ACE Engineering, a terrific outfit to deal with. They are there for their customer before, during and after install of one of there terrific products. Good communicator's and very accountable. Thank you, Ace Engineering!

20181016_103940.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the ACE rock rails 10 days ago. I didn’t have any problems with popping until yesterday. I tightened them up more and it still does it.

D055AE8A-512B-4BF0-8DC7-37DF3AD103D2.jpeg
Great look!
@ACE Engineering - I won't have Rubi rails on the Jeep and, as I can see, it has more of an open look with the pinch seem exposed. I'm assuming without that Rubi rail there is a chance I told land on a rock and hit that seem. It's kind of hard to see from the angle.

@iCrawlRocks - Could you send some more pics from different angles? Side view, top view, under view, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great look!
@ACE Engineering - I won't have Rubi rails on the Jeep and, as I can see, it has more of an open look with the pinch seem exposed. I'm assuming without that Rubi rail there is a chance I told land on a rock and hit that seem. It's kind of hard to see from the angle.

@iCrawlRocks - Could you send some more pics from different angles? Side view, top view, under view, etc... would be greatly appreciated!
The Rock Sliders lie below the pinch seam and the mounting arms actually extend under the body. The Rubi Rails help more with completing the look of the Jeep than providing a lot more pinch seam protection with our Sliders. Here's some images without Rubi Rails to give you a better idea.

Thank you.
ACEJLRS4DR-BB.jpg

ACEJLRS4DR-CC.jpg

ACEJLRS4DR-DD.jpg

ACEJLRS4DR-EE.jpg

ACEJLRS4DR-FF.jpg

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey

Thank you,
@ACE Engineering So I took your advice and talked to AJ and even sent some photos via email. I"m not getting very far very fast with him and I'm really concerned about the issue and possible damage to my paint and body. I've tried everything from adjusting the rails and sliders in/out and also putting some spacers between the slide mount arms and body mount points but the problem persists. I sent AJ an email requesting a replacement slider for the driver's side but have not heard back from him. Please advise.

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ACE Engineering So I took your advice and talked to AJ and even sent some photos via email. I"m not getting very far very fast with him and I'm really concerned about the issue and possible damage to my paint and body. I've tried everything from adjusting the rails and sliders in/out and also putting some spacers between the slide mount arms and body mount points but the problem persists. I sent AJ an email requesting a replacement slider for the driver's side but have not heard back from him. Please advise.
I'm sorry about the delay, AJ has been tied up this week but he will contact you today to get this issue resolved.

Thank you,
Sponsored