First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wow, are they ever robust. Even though I'm only a wanna-be DIYer, I usually install stuff like this myself. In this case the troublesome body bolts have me spooked. Couple that with the fact that the local dealer only wants $100 to install them and the decision is easy. How much will they protect my door hinges from rock chips?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Wow, are they ever robust. Even though I'm only a wanna-be DIYer, I usually install stuff like this myself. In this case the troublesome body bolts have me spooked. Couple that with the fact that the local dealer only wants $100 to install them and the decision is easy. How much will they protect my door hinges from rock chips?
@rickinAZ

Actually they are called Ace "Sliders" . Yes they are really decent.

Being "spooked" is warranted!

WISE, WISE, WISE move having the dealer install them! You have a decent dealer, as most dealer's will not install them let alone install them for the bargain price of $100.

Yes, they do play interference so to speak in regard to pebbles, etc., flying up and hitting the rear flares and the hinges. I still suggest vinyl coverings for the hinges though.

Do you have a 2 dr... IF so, your hinges will probably see few hits...

If it is a 4 dr JL, your rear hinges are gonna see lots more action... but again 2 dr or 4 dr, the Ace's block a large majority of the pebbles..

By the way, Rustoleum Bedliner Spray is tops for painting / touching up your Ace Sliders.

Be sure to routinely wax your sliders with a product like Turtle Wax 50984 ICE Seal N Shine Hybrid Sealant Spray Wax, which will protect your sliders, give you no white residue and also that will make them look great.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@rickinAZ

Actually they are called Ace "Sliders" . Yes they are really decent.

Being "spooked" is warranted!

WISE, WISE, WISE move having the dealer install them! You have a decent dealer, as most dealer's will not install them let alone install them for the bargain price of $100.

Yes, they do play interference so to speak in regard to pebbles, etc., flying up and hitting the rear flares and the hinges. I still suggest vinyl coverings for the hinges though.

Do you have a 2 dr... IF so, your hinges will probably see few hits...

If it is a 4 dr JL, your rear hinges are gonna see lots more action... but again 2 dr or 4 dr, the Ace's block a large majority of the pebbles..

By the way, Rustoleum Bedliner Spray is tops for painting / touching up your Ace Sliders.

Be sure to routinely wax your sliders with a product like Turtle Wax 50984 ICE Seal N Shine Hybrid Sealant Spray Wax, which will protect your sliders, give you no white residue and also that will make them look great.
First of all, excellent post - very informative. I've owned a slew of JKs, but never a 4-door. I'm only going to the Unlimited this time because Jeep has a gun to my head over the diesel engine availability. I usually have a 6" deep strip of clear bra over the leading part of the hood. This time I'll do that, plus the rear hinges. That said, I don't off-road, so given the ACE Sliders ( :) see, I learn), the rear hinges may not be needed, but they look terrible when they get pocked up. Thanks again.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rickinAZ

Forgot to mention.... talk to the Tech, on the day of the install. Ask him to PLEASE pay particular attention to the spacing between the Ace Slider and the Rubicon Rock Rail on each side.

Way to install is, to mount/install the ACE Sliders and then go back and if needed / as needed, loosen the bolts that hold the Rubicon rock rail and then slightly move the rock rail as needed so it is NOT touching the Slider anywhere.

IF, the installer allows the Rubicon rock rail to touch the slider you WILL, experience an annoying rattle type noise, metal to metal noise, when you drive down any road that is not prefectly smooth.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Hard to tell from website pics.. Do these "angle up"... they look like they slant up from under body versus come out flush and even?

Sponsored

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Hard to tell from website pics.. Do these "angle up"... they look like they slant up from under body versus come out flush and even?
Yes, they angle upwards.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To Daryl's point, they angle upwards. The upward slope is such that the outer rail is about an inch higher than the attachment point near the rockers.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Just ordered a see of these myself, enjoy.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hopefully all of you guys got rails with welds that look better than mine. They have held up well but look like a 3rd grader welded them. I’m a very novice welder but I’m pretty sure my welds look better than these. Not impressed.
Sponsored