Sponsored

ACE rock rails - do they protect rear hinges from rock chips?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have a set on order for my on-order 4-door. I've always owned 2-doors so I'm unfamiliar with the potential rock chip damage on the rear hinges.

ACE owners: do they provide meaningful protection?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a set on order for my on-order 4-door. I've always owned 2-doors so I'm unfamiliar with the potential rock chip damage on the rear hinges.

ACE owners: do they provide meaningful protection?
Yes, the Ace Slider's do block most of the little rocks/stones that would be hitting the back fender flare if you did not have the slider's. This is with 2 dr and 4 dr JL's.

For the first say 10,000or so miles, especially, your Rubi's K02's will be throwing lots of small rocks up. As the tread wears the rock throwing which the K02 is noted for will be less.

Hint: IF you are going off road, where you will be running through lots of gravel/small stones,..... before you go there, take duck tape and place it on the rear fender flares right over the existing clear film this already there, etc.. You can get duck tape in various colors so if you are anal about the visual/color get/use colored duct tape. Duck tape will help save your fender flares if you are worried about them.

A bit of Duck Tape on the rear hinges of a 4 dr. JL will help save the paint on your rear hinges... you can buy clear film to put over hinges but an off road excursion where there is a lot of gravel, Duck Tape is also a plus over top of the film.

Yeah, there are guys/gals that say frigg it, it's a Jeep and don't worry about it. I am not one of those guys.