Ace pro series rear bumper and tire carrier help

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I ordered this on Black Friday weekend due to their sale. It showed up 2 weeks ago but we had rain then snow on the weekends. Today was the day to get it on. I tore off my old one and the tow package and removed interior panels to run wires for the plate light. 1st step, I cannot get the LED lights to mount. They come with 2 screws that are too short and 2 that leave too much play. One side of the mounting area is open ended to slide in so with play it won’t stay put.
Anyone instal one yet and have advice for this and the rest of the install? I’m really disappointed there are no instructions or videos. They have JK videos but no JL. The rear door plate is different and I’ll have to remove one set of vents I think. They just tighten the lights down. I don’t think they can thread any further. I’m hoping there is room to mount the tow harness when I’m done.
Sponsored

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
So it appears the LEDs usually have a post/bolt sticking out that I should just have to put a nut on. The ones I was given have bolts but I was trying to thread them in. It looks like they are supposed to stick out instead and just get the nut. I opened the housing and there’s no way to get a bolt to stick out through the threads.
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led-lights/single-row-led-light-bar-6-inch-led-bar-6-led-light-bar
these appear to be them but the area for the bolt is not a separate piece like pictured.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dwrdnet

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When you did the tailgate plate, did you remove the vent on the one side, and how did you run the wiring? I agree no instructions is not very cool.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I removed the driver side vent and ran the plate wire up through the grommet along the inside and our the vent. I cut off their wiring because the plate lite wires were so small. And the LED only lasted 20 minutes before dying. I just got a new plug to use and kept the brake lite wiring and plugged in Quadratec ring to it running through the original grommet hole.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry as I can’t offer any help as far as your install goes but I just wanted to ask for clarification on something. You bought the bumper in November and you just got it 2 weeks ago? Did you order it as a preorder or something? I see on their website they have 4-6 weeks wait time for their products, but it seems like you waited a long time. I ordered some stuff recently and I just want to know what to expect for shipping times.

Sponsored

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I ordered at the end of Black Friday weekend. I talked to them after 6 weeks and he said they had over 800 orders that weekend and I was one of the last. He also said they had 3 in stock coming out of powder and he wasn’t happy with the finish on mine so it took a few extra days to repowder. I was ok with it because I bought a front bumper, winch, lift, wheels/tires, slipstream and a bunch of stuff Black Friday so had plenty to keep me busy. I’m assuming this time of year the 4-6 should be accurate? May be worth a call just because of the pandemic tho.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered at the end of Black Friday weekend. I talked to them after 6 weeks and he said they had over 800 orders that weekend and I was one of the last. He also said they had 3 in stock coming out of powder and he wasn’t happy with the finish on mine so it took a few extra days to repowder. I was ok with it because I bought a front bumper, winch, lift, wheels/tires, slipstream and a bunch of stuff Black Friday so had plenty to keep me busy. I’m assuming this time of year the 4-6 should be accurate? May be worth a call just because of the pandemic tho.
Thanks for replying. I emailed them before I ordered and they said 3-4 weeks. Today is 4 weeks so I’m not worried, I just wanted to see if I needed to mentally prepare for 4 months of waiting haha

SaveUp41

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
@suicideTone I read elsewhere not to expect any instructions which totally is not cool - Sounds like you figured out the LED issue on your own. May I ask what your thoughts are on the bumper? How do the welds look, how is the finish (powder coat) and how did they do on packaging it for getting it out to you? I like the look of the ACE rear bumper with the integrated tire carrier, but I also liked my ROAM sidesteps when they first showed-up... They are a rusty eyesore now just short of their 2nd birthday. On the flip-side, my MetalCloak front bumper looks great... I wish they had more options for a rear bumper and it'd be a no-brainer.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Once mine finally shipped, there was a 100 Semi Accident somewhere in the midwest right where my package was @ the time so that ended up being a few day delay on top. I'm very happy with the welds and the powdercoat. There was one small chip in the paint on one end that was scratched in transit, but I rattle canned it and it looks fine. There was lots of foam and packaging, but one end probably got jostled wrong. No rust showing at all and it's been very rainy here. I had my Artec front bumper powdercoated at the fab-shop I work @ and a week later, I showed him all the welds in the winch cradle that were showing rust already. Took the whole thing off, wire brushed it and rattle canned, myself. I think he went thin on the corners. This has no issues I have seen. There are no instructions and the JK verison is not exactly the same so it took some extra time @ each step. You will need an extra body to help mount it and to set in the swing arm. I did spend about an hour trying to get all 3 lugs on my spare and had no success. The wheel fit, but there wasn't enough clearance for the lug. I could get any 2, but never the third. I settled on just using the top 2. I was losing daylight, so I may revisit that, but my aftermarket wheels just didn't have clearance for much wiggle room.

ACE JLU backend.JPG

SaveUp41

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Once mine finally shipped, there was a 100 Semi Accident somewhere in the midwest right where my package was @ the time so that ended up being a few day delay on top. I'm very happy with the welds and the powdercoat. There was one small chip in the paint on one end that was scratched in transit, but I rattle canned it and it looks fine. There was lots of foam and packaging, but one end probably got jostled wrong. No rust showing at all and it's been very rainy here. I had my Artec front bumper powdercoated at the fab-shop I work @ and a week later, I showed him all the welds in the winch cradle that were showing rust already. Took the whole thing off, wire brushed it and rattle canned, myself. I think he went thin on the corners. This has no issues I have seen. There are no instructions and the JK verison is not exactly the same so it took some extra time @ each step. You will need an extra body to help mount it and to set in the swing arm. I did spend about an hour trying to get all 3 lugs on my spare and had no success. The wheel fit, but there wasn't enough clearance for the lug. I could get any 2, but never the third. I settled on just using the top 2. I was losing daylight, so I may revisit that, but my aftermarket wheels just didn't have clearance for much wiggle room.

ACE JLU backend.JPG
Thank you for the response! It's a good looking bumper! Powder coating is always a huge concern in the midwest because of all the salt they dump on the roads in the winter months... And the worst is when something arrives ding'd or scratched up... that means it will never have change in hell to stay rust free for more than a couple days. Sounds like ACE did a pretty solid job. Love the Smokey plate BTW - Never saw that one before :like:
Cheers!

Sponsored

Dwrdnet

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So I am about to put the bumper on. Did yours come with new bumper bolts, or did you have to reuse factory bolts?

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
reuse 2 bolts horizontally on each side. reuse 2 from underneath on the driver side and use 2 new ones (supplied) with the plate on the passenger from underneath. Put a few drops of glue to hold the plate inside the frame rail (not near the threads) and put the bolts through until it sets to help line them up so they don't move while installing the bumper.
Sponsored