Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Alright so this is an initial review. Will update after I get to take it out and run it through the paces.

So to start, anyone considering 2.5” lifts should definitely consider Accutune into their decision making process.

This is my 4th lift/shocks ive had on my jeep in the year ive had it. First was rough country spacer, to make sure i liked the height. Next was Rock Krawler and falcon shocks had my issues with it and wasnt happy, however it was among the first batches they had out. Third was Metalcloak 2.5 with rocksport shocks, great lift great components. Rode and handled amazing, insane flex, highly recommended. Now, Accutunes 2.5” comfort ride coils with fox factory race 2.5” shocks for 3.5-4” lift.

So I really love suspension performance coming from growing up in the desert with trucks and motorcycles and racing and the like. And through all these lifts that I had ive been seeking out the best handling I can get for what I like to do. Which led me to fox factory series. I originally ordered from northridge 4x4 and they were back ordered for months. So I looked somewhere else that had them in stock. Low and behold Accutune offroad had some. For those of you that dont know about accutune check out their website, some very good detailed information on there and a great group of guys. https://accutuneoffroad.com/ and every purchase of shocks you make from them comes custom tuned to your vehicle

I contacted Ryan over there and asked him if they had any in stock and they did, but he told me since they were new for the new JL he has not had a chance to tune a set of them yet. Since I was close enough to their shop in Carson, ca I dropped my jeep off to them last week to work their magic. I originally was going to keep my MC coils and just install the shocks I wanted, but I knew that wouldnt give me the ride quality I was looking for since MC springs are a bit stiffer. So I opted to get the whole package done with their springs and tuning my shocks to them.

I dropped my jeep off to them last monday, and picked it up friday. Since i dropped it off Ryan and his group of guys had all the new springs, hydros, bump spacers, and shocks installed and started tuning. They spent the rest of the week tearing apart and tuning and putting back together and re test driving my jeep until it was handling perfect. All the way up till friday afternoon an hour before they closed they finished the final valve tuning. They put in a lot of work and a lot of fine tuning to dial my jeep in just right.

Once I picked it up Ryan and I went for a test drive around the roads where they do all the testing each time they make a new valving adjustment. And lets just say this road is incredibly screwed up. It looks like big desert whoops with ledges and drop offs. Needless to say great spot to test speed and bottoming resistance on everything. The way they dialed in my suspension felt absolutely amazing on this shitty road, we were able to hit most of it 30+. The jeep felt smooth and controlled over every hit and bottom out was plush and not harsh at all. No bouncy or head toss, it was just planted through the whole road no matter what size the bumps.

So all in all my first ride/ daily drive with the new suspension is absolutely amazing. I will update this like i said once Ive had the chance to really test it offroad. But from the quality of work and the great customer service and the overall performance Ryan was able to achieve out of their kit is something to be commended for. Im incredibly happy how it turned out and really thankful to Ryan and his guys for the amount of time they dedicated to my rig to get it handling so amazing. Anyways long read sorry, need to give recognition where its due. Check them out guys. :rock:

-Erik

1FE6AF76-3859-4672-9077-DC708717C3DE.jpeg

3D637A25-6709-4AEA-8EAF-28E708E73C6C.jpeg

AE35D988-5468-4D20-BDF9-B913C452CEBA.jpeg

98A3E6B0-9F2E-4EC4-AFB4-32EBE8863257.jpeg
Sponsored

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Alright so this is an initial review. Will update after I get to take it out and run it through the paces.

So to start, anyone considering 2.5” lifts should definitely consider Accutune into their decision making process.

This is my 4th lift/shocks ive had on my jeep in the year ive had it. First was rough country spacer, to make sure i liked the height. Next was Rock Krawler and falcon shocks had my issues with it and wasnt happy, however it was among the first batches they had out. Third was Metalcloak 2.5 with rocksport shocks, great lift great components. Rode and handled amazing, insane flex, highly recommended. Now, Accutunes 2.5” comfort ride coils with fox factory race 2.5” shocks for 3.5-4” lift.

So I really love suspension performance coming from growing up in the desert with trucks and motorcycles and racing and the like. And through all these lifts that I had ive been seeking out the best handling I can get for what I like to do. Which led me to fox factory series. I originally ordered from northridge 4x4 and they were back ordered for months. So I looked somewhere else that had them in stock. Low and behold Accutune offroad had some. For those of you that dont know about accutune check out their website, some very good detailed information on there and a great group of guys. https://accutuneoffroad.com/ and every purchase of shocks you make from them comes custom tuned to your vehicle

I contacted Ryan over there and asked him if they had any in stock and they did, but he told me since they were new for the new JL he has not had a chance to tune a set of them yet. Since I was close enough to their shop in Carson, ca I dropped my jeep off to them last week to work their magic. I originally was going to keep my MC coils and just install the shocks I wanted, but I knew that wouldnt give me the ride quality I was looking for since MC springs are a bit stiffer. So I opted to get the whole package done with their springs and tuning my shocks to them.

I dropped my jeep off to them last monday, and picked it up friday. Since i dropped it off Ryan and his group of guys had all the new springs, hydros, bump spacers, and shocks installed and started tuning. They spent the rest of the week tearing apart and tuning and putting back together and re test driving my jeep until it was handling perfect. All the way up till friday afternoon an hour before they closed they finished the final valve tuning. They put in a lot of work and a lot of fine tuning to dial my jeep in just right.

Once I picked it up Ryan and I went for a test drive around the roads where they do all the testing each time they make a new valving adjustment. And lets just say this road is incredibly screwed up. It looks like big desert whoops with ledges and drop offs. Needless to say great spot to test speed and bottoming resistance on everything. The way they dialed in my suspension felt absolutely amazing on this shitty road, we were able to hit most of it 30+. The jeep felt smooth and controlled over every hit and bottom out was plush and not harsh at all. No bouncy or head toss, it was just planted through the whole road no matter what size the bumps.

So all in all my first ride/ daily drive with the new suspension is absolutely amazing. I will update this like i said once Ive had the chance to really test it offroad. But from the quality of work and the great customer service and the overall performance Ryan was able to achieve out of their kit is something to be commended for. Im incredibly happy how it turned out and really thankful to Ryan and his guys for the amount of time they dedicated to my rig to get it handling so amazing. Anyways long read sorry, need to give recognition where its due. Check them out guys. :rock:

-Erik

1FE6AF76-3859-4672-9077-DC708717C3DE.jpeg

3D637A25-6709-4AEA-8EAF-28E708E73C6C.jpeg

AE35D988-5468-4D20-BDF9-B913C452CEBA.jpeg

98A3E6B0-9F2E-4EC4-AFB4-32EBE8863257.jpeg
Sweet! You might be the first actual review on the Internet for these on the JL. Your making me want to spend more

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet! You might be the first actual review on the Internet for these on the JL. Your making me want to spend more
Do it lol. They are really nice shocks

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it lol. They are really nice shocks
I’m like you I want to try a bunch of lifts out... Haha... man I checked out accutune now I’m thinking screw the fox 2.5 let’s just go straight to Coilovers :P Unfortunately that opens up a whole new level of money pit in itself. Other issue though with any coilover is to really exploit the full capabilities going long arm is the way to do it and that’s a whole new level. And new drive shafts etc.

I have a feeling Coilovers might be in your future :) ???

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I’m like you I want to try a bunch of lifts out... Haha... man I checked out accutune now I’m thinking screw the fox 2.5 let’s just go straight to Coilovers :P Unfortunately that opens up a whole new level of money pit in itself. Other issue though with any coilover is to really exploit the full capabilities going long arm is the way to do it and that’s a whole new level. And new drive shafts etc.

Coilovers are sweet, but i like the simplicity of a regular coil/spring. Coilovers are so sensitive and sometimes my load varies a lot. Traditional coil set up seems to hold it better. However if i had the funds id get coilovers just cuz I think they look sweet and have they do have some awesome benefits. But I will say he told me that mine rides just as nice As their shop jeep on the coilovers. So ill take that haha

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Out of curiosity, since Accutune is big into Fox, it seems, why didn't they install Fox bump stops instead of Kings?

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, since Accutune is big into Fox, it seems, why didn't they install Fox bump stops instead of Kings?
Those were my supplied ones. I didnt like how fox schrader valve was under the strike pad, hard to get to in a spring. And also more expensive and harder to tune properly with the IFP

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat

No difference between coilovers and traditional springs and shocks with respect to supporting mods. You can get just as much wheel travel out of a conventional setup, and it's wheel travel/droop that will determine if you need different control arm geometry and driveline mods.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Great write up. What did you not like about the RK/falcon combo? To harsh of a ride?

Brett

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up. What did you not like about the RK/falcon combo? To harsh of a ride?

Brett
No the ride was fine out of them, i was disappointed with the height, i got under the 2.5”. I did not like that i had to cut the control arm bracket to achieve proper flex, it was bottoming out on the arm. Customer service issues. Most people are happy with their stuff, but I wasn't, just personal preference i guess. My mc/rocksport combo handled and drove better and was just a much easier set up than the falcons/rk

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No the ride was fine out of them, i was disappointed with the height, i got under the 2.5”. I did not like that i had to cut the control arm bracket to achieve proper flex, it was bottoming out on the arm. Customer service issues. Most people are happy with their stuff, but I wasn't, just personal preference i guess. My mc/rocksport combo handled and drove better and was just a much easier set up than the falcons/rk
Hey man out of curiosity do you have an aftermarket drive shaft and track bars? I just re-read your running the 3-4.5” shocks not the 2-3”. That’s pretty long wheel travel from those shocks. I might be giving accutune a call soon to get a quote. I’m hoping I can have similarly valved shocks from them.

I wonder if they will match other vendor discounts on those shocks.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man out of curiosity do you have an aftermarket drive shaft and track bars? I just re-read your running the 3-4.5” shocks not the 2-3”. That’s pretty long wheel travel from those shocks. I might be giving accutune a call soon to get a quote. I’m hoping I can have similarly valved shocks from them.

I wonder if they will match other vendor discounts on those shocks.
I didnt ask for a discount so im not sure. Im runing the 3-4.5 in the front and the 2-3 in the rear. I matched my shock lengths to what i had from the rocksports. However they told me with their kit they put the 3-4.5” in the rear as well to get more droop out if it. Right now im running 1” bump spacers in the rear, i could run smaller but ill rip off my fender.

As im set up right now i have 6 1/2” of up travel from both front ant rear. Its really nice. Yeah i have aftermarket track bars but no driveshaft. Mine hasnt broke yet lol. If i would have bought my rear shocks originally from them i would have gotten the size they recomended for that inch more of droop. Oh well, they work perfect as they are.

They will dial you in man for sure, they will ask for all your jeep specifics and go from there. They also set them up fully open on adjusters. So as you increase weight or need more dampening resistance you still have The full range of the adjusters to use as well

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Alright so I was able to test out the new suspension pretty good this weekend at the local mountains. Did some high speed stuff and slower rock crawling. All I can say is these shocks paired with Accutunes set up blows me away with how I thought my jeep could ride.

Before hitting the trails I turned up the low speed compression to about 5. These new fox shocks have a high and a low speed for adjusting. The low speed controls body roll and G-outs. The fire roads I was able to maintain a pretty good amount of speed 30+ most of the time through the bumps and dips. Having the hydros in the front is a huge bonus. It soaks stuff and keeps the body planted and no harsh bottoming.

Over the slow stuff having 1” bumpstops all around really helps the articulation. The shocks and springs do a nice job of soaking up ledges and drops and those unexpected bigger than anticipated rocks. Compared to the mc I had flex is pretty much the same. Shocks are same size, but running 1” smaller bumpstops really helps.

Overall this set up has improved my ride quality by about 100% id say. If you dont offroad much or do much faster desert style stuff this is probably an overkill set up. On road performance and handling is absolutely fantastic it feels just like stock with a ton more control. Offroad, is where it shines. I had so much fun this weekend getting a feel for the shocks. Fireroad bombing is a blast now and to make it better its buttery smooth. Want to drink coffee and haul ass down a dirt road? Go right ahead. If youre on the fence with these shocks. Do it they are wonderful. If you are able, get them tuned to your springs as well, whether its accutune or somewhere else. The ride is phenomenal.

D3BE420C-2F5A-489F-A2E8-0A29A8CDE4FE.jpeg

FEED9F12-19F7-4CD1-806A-D137403428EB.jpeg

5ED46527-9ABA-4031-87E6-C31BA8ABE3A2.jpeg

48671780-AD89-4AC4-B521-97DE2EFB5507.jpeg

35891D6D-D0BA-4A06-AF20-FCE7C07AC7BD.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: