Sponsored

Accidentally left EcoDiesel idling super long

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Lol - it’s covered in the owner’s manual. RTFM. That said, I don’t mind watching people destroy their expensive machines.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Lol - it’s covered in the owner’s manual. RTFM. That said, I don’t mind watching people destroy their expensive machines.
Actually I did RTFM. That is exactly why I asked "Should I change the oil due to possible contaminants?" in my original post. The manual mentions potential for unburnt fuel entering the crankcase. That said, I tend to get better advice on here than from the manual.

Not sure about your comment about the enjoyment you get watching people destroy their expensive machines. Seems like an odd thing to say - particularly given the context.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
The majority of responses here suggest no issues, my comment was directed at that. IMO - 2.5 hrs in moderate temps - maybe subtratct 2k from your next oil change - max paranoia. You can get your oil tested for the price of 3 qts of synthetic as well - might break even - fuel in the oil is usually noted.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Actually I did RTFM. That is exactly why I asked "Should I change the oil due to possible contaminants?" in my original post. The manual mentions potential for unburnt fuel entering the crankcase. That said, I tend to get better advice on here than from the manual.

Not sure about your comment about the enjoyment you get watching people destroy their expensive machines. Seems like an odd thing to say - particularly given the context.
Another one for the ignore bucket :headbang:

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I wouldn't ignore it completely, but in this case I wouldn't worry too much.

Cylinder washing is a well known phenomenon, which is why big rig diesels are never excessively idled while new. They idle just long enough to build proper heat in the cylinders then immediately put them under about 70% load for a few hours on a dyno to fully seat the rings. Unburnt fuel 100% will get past the rings and end up in your oil, lowering its viscosity and lubricating properties.
Now will that happen on a modern ecodiesel with dlc coated rings? Not sure, but it is something to be somewhat mindful of. Pull your dipstick and give her a good wiff, always an easy way to tell.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another one for the ignore bucket :headbang:
Hi John, are you suggesting ignoring (i.e. not worrying about) the oil damage issue, because it's likely okay, or ignoring the snarky comment about the pleasure in watching me destroy my own Jeep? [which in all fairness was likely made as a well-intentioned, but poorly received, joke]

BTW, I was 1,000 miles away from an oil change away - I do every 3K miles - so I think I'll change it out of an abundance of caution. I know, 3K is a massive overkill, but the cost ($100) doesn't bother me, and I enjoy doing it myself.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hi John, are you suggesting ignoring (i.e. not worrying about) the oil damage issue, because it's likely okay, or ignoring the snarky comment about the pleasure in watching me destroy my own Jeep? [which in all fairness was likely made as a well-intentioned, but poorly received, joke]

BTW, I was 1,000 miles away from an oil change away - I do every 3K miles - so I think I'll change it out of an abundance of caution. I know, 3K is a massive overkill, but the cost ($100) doesn't bother me, and I enjoy doing it myself.
Hey Rick,

As you do the oil changes yourself I'd go ahead and change early as it will make you sleep better as I can tell this is bothering you ;)

I can also tell you that you did no damage. I've owned several Audi 3.0L TDI's in the past and on a few occasions left them idling for extended periods with no issues in the many miles I put on them.

Once you do that oil change take her on a highway drive to get the temps up to normal operating for a bit to burn off any condensation and for a regen to get triggered if needed.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If the excessive idle makes you worry, send a sample of the oil to Blackstone to analyze it. If you must idle it, after a heavy load, to cool the turbo down, get a programmer that will automatically shut the engine off, when idled for the designated time. I dont know if the sell these programmers for the Wrangler Diesels yet.
I do know, after owning Diesel Pickups for 21 years, I never had a turbo failure, from now letting it cool down by idling.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Changed the oil yesterday. [I also had changed it at 1,000 miles]. I will warn you future EcoDiesel oil-changers that the oil filter is fussy about being seated correctly. After the initial start-up both times I've changed the oil I got a low oil pressure warning - which was solved by removing/reoiling/reseating the filter. Keep in mind for my second oil change, aware of the issue, I took pains in trying to do it right the first time. Still needed to refit the filter. After that, life was good. Not a big issue, but be forewarned.
Sponsored