First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Came home with a few items, and the turbo temperature was 525 degrees, so I left it running (with garage door open) while I brought my purchases into the house. Fast forward 2.5 hours and my wife discovers the still idling Jeep on her way out to run errands. Ouch...Senior moment. Any repercussions? Should I change the oil due to possible contaminants?

Other than confirming my knucklehead status, any other thoughts?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I wouldnā€™t be concerned unless you think it overheated. Diesel idle forever, thatā€™s why Cummins started putting them in fire trucks way back in the day.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
I'd guess it's probably fine, just don't do it again ;)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I wouldnā€™t be concerned unless you think it overheated. Diesel idle forever, thatā€™s why Cummins started putting them in fire trucks way back in the day.
Coolant temperature was just below the middle line and turbo temperature was 278Ā°. So, seemly nice and cool (so to speak).

Ambient temperature was 91Ā° - summer has finally started here. Love the heat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I thought there was a built in timer that shut the engine off for these kind of situations.
But other than wasting fuel, I don't think you did any damage.
Since you have Scanguage, and if you did not see any codes pop up, you should be fine.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought there was a built in timer that shut the engine off for these kind of situations.
But other than wasting fuel, I don't think you did any damage.
Since you have Scanguage, and if you did not see any codes pop up, you should be fine.
My Ram will only timer shutoff if I use remote start. You can restart it remotely a second time but after that you have to get in.

We lost power a while back and I let it idle in the garage the entire day with an extension cord going to my laptop (work from home). I decided I wouldnā€™t do it a second day because they arenā€™t filling my tank and everyone else in the area just shut down for the day.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
All vehicles with push button ignitions should have this auto shut off IMO. It is very easy to forget turning off.
Happened to me in a gas station once. After I finished fueling and got back into the Jeep, I realized the engine was running and i forgot to turn it off. It was a 2.0L and it was a very silent engine.
My Ram will only timer shutoff if I use remote start. You can restart it remotely a second time but after that you have to get in.

We lost power a while back and I let it idle in the garage the entire day with an extension cord going to my laptop (work from home). I decided I wouldnā€™t do it a second day because they arenā€™t filling my tank and everyone else in the area just shut down for the day.
This should come standard on all modern vehicles IMO.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28035147/toyota-automatic-park-auto-engine-shutoff/

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™d be good with the auto park feature if it used a pressure sensors in the seat. I find it irritating when Iā€™m trying to move the Jeep a few feet with the seatbelt off and the door open (looking where Iā€™m going) and it abruptly goes into park.

tbh I kind off miss the days of having to manually turn you headlights on and off. I get the safety considerations - I actually turn my lights fully on every time I go somewhere. But I feel like the wholeā€pre-flight/post-flightā€ checks that we used to have to do helped wire the brain to be more observant.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Zero issues. In the far north they let their diesels idle all night so they don't freeze up.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Idle forever is pre 2007 mentality. What can happen on the modern diesels is the engine and exhaust temperature drops below normal operating, creating excess particulates for the egr and emissions to process.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Modern vehicles can idle for much longer than 2 hours with absolutely no issue. Big rigs with diesels sometimes spend all night idling as the driver sleeps. Idling is not an issue so long as engine temperature is kept at operating temperatures, which shouldnā€™t be an issue with Jeepā€™s powerful cooling fan. šŸ˜

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Idle forever is pre 2007 mentality. What can happen on the modern diesels is the engine and exhaust temperature drops below normal operating, creating excess particulates for the egr and emissions to process.
Please call them and tell them to stop idling their new 2020 Diesel pickups all night when -40C. Tell me what they tell you to do.
Sponsored