Sponsored

Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
So not worth the $$$ for the 4”? Wait for more options?
Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Amazon has some 4” 3ohm component speakers I may try. They are rated good for the 4” but not other sizes. For $49 bucks.....

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Everyone!! Please check polarity with a multimeter before install!! So I got paranoid after someone brought up the good question as to if crutchfields wiring diagram was wrong and not metra adapter wiring.

I went back to both dash speakers and sound bar speakers ( all 3.5 ). The sound bar speakers to my Surprise was white = (-) and black = (+). I attached a picture of the rear passenger soundbar speaker with the wiring connected to my multimeter

I also attached the front passenger side dash speaker photo showing the correct wiring. All our JL May be wired differently so this is all just for my 18” JLU Sahara with Alpine system.

Please please check polarity at vehicle plug for correct polarity before installing or reversing any wires :)

Hope this helps
Having color blind issues (dash speakers mainly) -- I can't tell -- Were your metra adapters correct or did you have to reverse wires for either dash or soundbar?

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
Having color blind issues (dash speakers mainly) -- I can't tell -- Were your metra adapters correct or did you have to reverse wires for either dash or soundbar?
The metra adapters were correct but every car may be different. Since you have issues with color I would just do the test with them multimeter to determine which wire is positive then just put a piece of tape only on that wire. Taped wire = (+). Untaped wire = (-). Just a suggestion :)

DogsOnTheRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Funny thing about that, even the Metra adapter for the 4" speakers is reversed, black to white. I just left 'em all that way.

Had a chance today to run around top down, and the results were actually pretty good. Listening in the garage where it is quiet, you can hear the flaws, but on the road I am able to hear my tunes just fine. So, the Infinity is not the worst thing to put in. It at least fits, sort of.

You put it in the hole, and turn it, until it finally settles in flat, then drill 4 new holes, as the position it does go flat in is very small and does not line up to any of the 3 screw holes.

Sponsored

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Infinity reference speakers are known to be somewhat bright.
Yeah, my bad. I should have done more research before jumping on the bandwagon. I found them to be too bright when the metra adapter was used as delivered, and nails on a chalkboard bright with the adapter reversed. So I'm back to the stock speakers and much more relaxed.

Ordered some JL Audio stuff (Stealthbox, VXi amp etc.) and some Audiofrogs for the front so I'll see what I can make out of that. At least I'll be able to tweak the EQ.

DogsOnTheRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Yeah, this is a "quick fix", not an audiophile build here. No-one's taking these out to ITASCA competitions, just open top motoring.
The stock speakers really do belong in the trash, though. Surprised to hear you put them back in.

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
I'm curious if anyone has taken a Ohm measurement of the speakers in the Alpine systems for the JL? Are they 4 ohm? The reason I ask is because on my 2014 Ram it has the Alpine system and all the speakers are 2 Ohm which makes it pretty much impossible to replace/upgrade since most aftermarket manufacturers do not make 2 ohm mids and highs. If you wanted to upgrade the speakers, you pretty much had to scrap the factory Alpine speakers/ amp altogether.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
3032 Sale at Crutchfield.

I installed the 3032's in the dash and improvement was great. Well worth the $90. Thought I'd add them to the sound bar and went back to Crutchfield...

They are on sale at $68 through tomorrow 9/28 (I think). Just thought I would post up if anyone was looking for a price break.

Just a note, they (are supposed to) come with the wire adapter but when I added the speakers first the adapter wasn't in the cart. Had to go to my "vehicle" then click on the dash speaker options then add through there. Then they showed up with the harness for free in the cart. I first added them through the sound bar link and that's where they didn't show up. I'm guessing we need the harness for both locations ?? Well, hope that made sense....

Chrissalexx

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn’ JLUR 2.0 ESS
3032 Sale at Crutchfield.

I installed the 3032's in the dash and improvement was great. Well worth the $90. Thought I'd add them to the sound bar and went back to Crutchfield...

They are on sale at $68 through tomorrow 9/28 (I think). Just thought I would post up if anyone was looking for a price break.

Just a note, they (are supposed to) come with the wire adapter but when I added the speakers first the adapter wasn't in the cart. Had to go to my "vehicle" then click on the dash speaker options then add through there. Then they showed up with the harness for free in the cart. I first added them through the sound bar link and that's where they didn't show up. I'm guessing we need the harness for both locations ?? Well, hope that made sense....
Appreciate the heads up! Saw your comment and ordered the 28th and will install this weekend

Sponsored

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Just picked up the 3022s for $41.74 on Amazon, with the adapter for $8 also from Amazon.

Chrissalexx

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn’ JLUR 2.0 ESS
Was able to swap the Alpine speakers for the Infinity 3032’s this past weekend. Installation was a breeze. Used a Dremel to shave off half of the outside screw-hole. Shaved both sneakers, but only the passenger side sound bar speaker needed shaving.
Checked the polarity on the dash and sound bar wires and concluded that (on my vehicle) the supplied Metra adapters are correct.
Adjusted bass to +1 mid +2 treble -0
The construction and build quality on the 3032’s are leaps and bounds better than the Apline, but sound quality only moves up a bit. If you get the Infinity’s on sale, it might be worth it — at full price, I don’t think so. For the ~$115 that I paid, I’m satisfied. Will probably change them out when something better comes around.

Tools used:
Flat head screwdriver
Ph2 Philips head
t-20 torx bit
H5 allen bit
Voltage meter

2FB7C140-42CC-4D42-9B57-D8FE58138BED.jpeg

87C62813-DE46-48E5-A217-7B827D19CCA2.jpeg

5AEF7D9A-F0E8-4B16-BF43-3F6B1000C181.jpeg

34F0886C-3281-4E6B-8B86-69942327668B.jpeg

08666E7E-BED7-46B5-8705-151971723E2C.jpeg

Chrissalexx

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn’ JLUR 2.0 ESS
Also, thanks to all the members that have contributed to this thread! Wasn’t able to do it with out you guys.
Forgot to add that I used self-tapping wood screws to drill through the plastic and mount the sound bar speakers. :like:
Sponsored