Sponsored

Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Why couldn't they just make the knee panel a separate piece like the TJ? That seems like a crazy amount of unnecessary work! I read through this entire thread and am still leaning towards the MB Quart option of replacing everything with new speakers and amps...
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
How many of you guys who replaced speakers have a 2.0T engine and the larger 8.4" Alpine? I only ask because the 2.0T and 8.4" Alpine combo has factory Active Noise Cancelling. The 3.6 engine does not. Any noticeable difference with ambient noise after the speaker replacement on a 2.0T with 8.4" Alpine?

willhayward

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
How many of you guys who replaced speakers have a 2.0T engine and the larger 8.4" Alpine? I only ask because the 2.0T and 8.4" Alpine combo has factory Active Noise Cancelling. The 3.6 engine does not. Any noticeable difference with ambient noise after the speaker replacement on a 2.0T with 8.4" Alpine?
I have the 2.0T. As for the active noise cancelling - are you referring to the autovolume adjust? If so, I turned that off when I got the vehicle.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
How much of a major PITA? I've seen a video where it shows the whole dash doesn't need to come out, just the bottom below the steering wheel and the glove box. Is that feasible or was it just easier to remove everything else? I'm debating if the knee speaker upgrade is worth the PITA. I'm about "average" when it comes to being mechanically inclined
Read on here as there is a thread that shows a shortcut on the Metra pods. It cuts it from ~3.5 to 4 hours R&R to about 1.5 hours. I can't find the thread but added a couple comments on it to make it a bit easier.

Basically it prevents removing upper dash, panel, HVAC by going in via the light control switch module to undo and re-install the top drivers pod screw which is blocked.

I've done it the long way twice, and the short cut 4 times now and it is definitely a huge time saver plus less chance of breaking something or having rattles after.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Here is what my sound bar now looks like.
3322A745-06D3-443F-9D9B-D513493836B2.jpeg

As for the crossover -I only installed them in case the frequency limitation was different between the factory and aftermarket speakers - probably wasn't necessary but it only took a few minutes - the instructions come with your components - I bought some connectors from crutchfield to ensure everything would be plug and play when I got them in. I used 3M double sided stick tape to secure them inside the soundbar in the channel that holds that wiring harness. Make sure you have 2 different plugs for each side - one for the tweeter and one for the woofer (if you have the alpine system) - if you've replaced the dash and the pods - it's one of each of those.
Those are not cross overs - they are Tweeter protectors if you read the C1-650 instructions. Likely a high pass filter to keep lows from causing tweeter damage. This is likely why these work well as you can keep the 2 amp outputs from the Alpine connected - one to the woofer, and one to the tweeter protector and onto the tweeter. If these were a conventional component two way it would be one input from amp to the crossover and then a mid and tweeter output which doesn't work with our Alpine setup as already split in the amp.

Thanks for pointing these out.

So these might be interesting to get more sound without a full amp setup.

Sponsored

willhayward

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are not cross overs - they are Tweeter protectors if you read the C1-650 instructions. Likely a high pass filter to keep lows from causing tweeter damage. This is likely why these work well as you can keep the 2 amp outputs from the Alpine connected - one to the woofer, and one to the tweeter protector and onto the tweeter. If these were a conventional component two way it would be one input from amp to the crossover and then a mid and tweeter output which doesn't work with our Alpine setup as already split in the amp.

Thanks for pointing these out.

So these might be interesting to get more sound without a full amp setup.
Just for clarification, a high pass filter IS a crossover.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206556458-Understanding-Crossovers?mobile_site=true

The point, regardless of terminology, is solely to allow a specific range in OR filter frequencies out. That said, I figured that since the filters came with the JL’s - it would do absolutely no harm to install but without getting too involved in finding out specific ranges of the alpine, had potential to do harm if not installed. I was just playing it safe with an extra 10min of work and am thrilled with the added highs to my system without having to introduce an aftermarket amp.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Yes! Any pictures or explanation of the crossover setup would be greatly appreciated. I think the cutting & SSV adapter part will be pretty straight forward.

Look what arrived today. Will start the process this weekend, if I can wait that long.

BD6E341E-7562-476C-B989-6584E7BAC8C5.jpeg
Just for clarification, a high pass filter IS a crossover.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206556458-Understanding-Crossovers?mobile_site=true

The point, regardless of terminology, is solely to allow a specific range in OR filter frequencies out. That said, I figured that since the filters came with the JL’s - it would do absolutely no harm to install but without getting too involved in finding out specific ranges of the alpine, had potential to do harm if not installed. I was just playing it safe with an extra 10min of work and am thrilled with the added highs to my system without having to introduce an aftermarket amp.
I hooked them up for a sound test and must be doing something wrong wiring wise. First I plugged the Metra 72-6514 adapter plug into the OEM woofer wire, then to the C1 woofer. Then wired from the woofer additional spade connectors on the back of the speaker to the crossover/filter to the C1 tweeter. (Picture 1 below). Tweeter didn’t sound very good and nether new speaker was as good as the smaller JL C2 350x I pulled from my original configuration. I don’t see how the Metra 79-7902 adapter is suppose to go to the OEM tweeter wire and to the new tweeter also if it plugs into the crossover/filter wires. Is the 7902 not used? (Picture 2 below).

How did you wire yours in using the 7902, 6514 & crossover/filter? Maybe it’s late and I’m not with it, but just not enough connection unless I need to splice? Is the 7902 and original OEM tweeter wire not used? Or is the 6514 and OEM woofer wire not used? Or did you splice in?

Any pictures of wiring you did would be great.

B151E623-07A1-4B64-8DF7-4A1FCAA1294A.jpeg

393E9354-F0D3-4DF6-B1D0-29731C822F2F.jpeg

willhayward

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hooked them up for a sound test and must be doing something wrong wiring wise. First I plugged the Metra 72-6514 adapter plug into the OEM woofer wire, then to the C1 woofer. Then wired from the woofer additional spade connectors on the back of the speaker to the crossover/filter to the C1 tweeter. (Picture 1 below). Tweeter didn’t sound very good and nether new speaker was as good as the smaller JL C2 350x I pulled from my original configuration. I don’t see how the Metra 79-7902 adapter is suppose to go to the OEM tweeter wire and to the new tweeter also if it plugs into the crossover/filter wires. Is the 7902 not used? (Picture 2 below).

How did you wire yours in using the 7902, 6514 & crossover/filter? Maybe it’s late and I’m not with it, but just not enough connection unless I need to splice? Is the 7902 and original OEM tweeter wire not used? Or is the 6514 and OEM woofer wire not used? Or did you splice in?

Any pictures of wiring you did would be great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system 393E9354-F0D3-4DF6-B1D0-29731C822F2F

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system 393E9354-F0D3-4DF6-B1D0-29731C822F2F
Sent you a PM. Give me a call and I’ll walk you through this. I don’t have the patience to type it up on my phone.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Sent you a PM. Give me a call and I’ll walk you through this. I don’t have the patience to type it up on my phone.
Thanks for the help Will. Unfortunately the overall sound or output was really no better than my current setup with the JLaudio C2 350x and OEM woofer in the SB. I’m thinking the Focal 6.5’s I put in the front is pulling a good bit of power off the premium amp, then when trying another 6.5” in the SB it’s just tapped out on power.

I’ll go back to waiting on cutting the SB with the SSV adapters for now and adding an AMP installation at a later time, then upgrade the SB. It was a good test and I learned what I needed to know for now.

StockRubi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Hello Everyone. I am new here and am also a little unhappy with the quality of the Alpine upgrade. For the price tag, it should be audiophile quality and blow the doors off….

I have been trying a few setups just replacing the full range in the dash and sound bar. I have done some sound engineeringing in the past and was a mobile installer in college. I have been out of the loop for years… so here is what I have found so far

1. I replaced all 4 with Kenwood KFC-X3C
these were very bright in the top… too bright. My wife and I had ear fatigue in minutes.

2. JBL club 322 - the sound was overproduced at best and muddy. Not a lot of clarity and little midrange.

3. I tried the Infinity reference 3023 - these were a little better, but the midrange was very hard to hear over the tweeter. These were bright and clear, but seemed to loose any musicality below about 800htz

4.SKAR audio tx35 - these sounded a little more balanced and I didn’t have ear fatigue like the others.The mids are ok(not great). I think the overall sound is on par with the factory alpine, just a little more clear.

I am thinking of auditioning JL C2-350x next. Has anyone put these in all 4 spots? What are your impressions?

Sponsored

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Hello Everyone. I am new here and am also a little unhappy with the quality of the Alpine upgrade. For the price tag, it should be audiophile quality and blow the doors off….

I have been trying a few setups just replacing the full range in the dash and sound bar. I have done some sound engineeringing in the past and was a mobile installer in college. I have been out of the loop for years… so here is what I have found so far

1. I replaced all 4 with Kenwood KFC-X3C
these were very bright in the top… too bright. My wife and I had ear fatigue in minutes.

2. JBL club 322 - the sound was overproduced at best and muddy. Not a lot of clarity and little midrange.

3. I tried the Infinity reference 3023 - these were a little better, but the midrange was very hard to hear over the tweeter. These were bright and clear, but seemed to loose any musicality below about 800htz

4.SKAR audio tx35 - these sounded a little more balanced and I didn’t have ear fatigue like the others.The mids are ok(not great). I think the overall sound is on par with the factory alpine, just a little more clear.

I am thinking of auditioning JL C2-350x next. Has anyone put these in all 4 spots? What are your impressions?
i did just that with the 350xs. I actually went with JL all around. In the kick panels I used the 6.5“ components and in the sound bar I used the 4” components. Sounds great!

Reactions: RSK

StockRubi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
i did just that with the 350xs. I actually went with JL all around. In the kick panels I used the 6.5“ components and in the sound bar I used the 4” components. Sounds great!
I am starting with just the 3.5”. Ordered them today.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Okay I had read something about putting 4ohm into a 2ohm system which led me to remove my jl c2-350x from overhead soundbar(being that they are 4ohm and the premium alpine is 2ohm). They seemed to be a great improvement but when I would drive with top off or in sunrider when ever I would turn it up i would get a crack sound on any song with thump! So I found kicker 2ohm 4” marine km4 speakers and swapped them Whoa. They changed the sound in the cabin immensely!!! Even when you go into settings to adjust front to back they keep their loudness where as with the jls they would loose sound when adjusted to back. I am a happy camper. Now thinking of replacing knee speakers with same. I had gotten the kickers at crutchfield and they said they supposedly dont fit. I used wood screws and went right into the soundbar plastic. I trimmed some rubber weatherstrip to seal them under the closure. I originally had the metra harnesses for the JL’s so I reused them on the kickers but had to trim the connectors from the kickers(neg/pos) and they went in nicely with the oem covers fitting.
really great improvement thought I would share because I originally swapped out to the JLs because of reading someone else who posted.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Forgot to add

05BC934D-0F8E-47C8-8FA4-D1DB8D2B351D.jpeg
Sponsored