Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

ChaosJeep

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Unlimited
I put the infinity 3032s in dash. They sound great. Ordered some JL C2 350 for the sound bar. I want some THUMP but the alpine sub is okay. Curious to see what people have done as far as subs go with the alpine system
Sponsored

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for starting this - RSK, nice job!!

One thing i thought i would add to the discussion is OHMS !! Both the 3.5 inch speakers (the dash and the sound bar) are 4 ohm speakers and both the 4 inch speakers (knee panel and sound bar) are 2 ohm. So replacing the 3.5's is easy because MOST aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. Its the 4 inch ones that get tricky. If you replace a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker you create a couple problems. Will it work - yes but - if the speakers are the same or similar sensitivity then the 4 ohm speaker will be much softer (not by half but) much softer than the 2 ohm speaker. Also you create a much greater DRAW on the amp and can have over-heating problems and ultimately burn out the amp.

I Think what Jeep did here was run a 4 channel 3 ohm amp. 1 Channel for front driver corner = 1 tweeter-mid / 1 bass mid and so on.

Point being just replacing either of the 4 inch speakers with a 4 ohm aftermarket is a problem and will not sound right. Same thing with trying to replace the knee panel speaker or the sound bar speaker with a 6.5 or 6.75 speaker. You need to run them as components and you need to match impedence .

good luck...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks for starting this - RSK, nice job!!

One thing i thought i would add to the discussion is OHMS !! Both the 3.5 inch speakers (the dash and the sound bar) are 4 ohm speakers and both the 4 inch speakers (knee panel and sound bar) are 2 ohm. So replacing the 3.5's is easy because MOST aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. Its the 4 inch ones that get tricky. If you replace a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker you create a couple problems. Will it work - yes but - if the speakers are the same or similar sensitivity then the 4 ohm speaker will be much softer (not by half but) much softer than the 2 ohm speaker. Also you create a much greater DRAW on the amp and can have over-heating problems and ultimately burn out the amp.

I Think what Jeep did here was run a 4 channel 3 ohm amp. 1 Channel for front driver corner = 1 tweeter-mid / 1 bass mid and so on.

Point being just replacing either of the 4 inch speakers with a 4 ohm aftermarket is a problem and will not sound right. Same thing with trying to replace the knee panel speaker or the sound bar speaker with a 6.5 or 6.75 speaker. You need to run them as components and you need to match impedence .

good luck...
It's even crazier than that with the factory Alpine upgraded audio amp. It has a 12 channel amp. One channel goes to each speaker separately with a crossover built in for separation. So there are 8 of the channels figured out by the 2 speakers at the four corners, and the last 4 channels all go to the sub. The sub is a odd unit to be sure. Quad voice coil at 2 ohms each. And each is run on it's own channel.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I put the infinity 3032s in dash. They sound great. Ordered some JL C2 350 for the sound bar. I want some THUMP but the alpine sub is okay. Curious to see what people have done as far as subs go with the alpine system
Here is what I did to my Gladiator (link below on post#62) adding a Kicker HS8 Hideaway powered sub to complement the less powerful Alpine Premium sub. It was a pretty good improvement without adding an amp yet. I know I will have to do it at some point through and get the most out of the speakers as Rubi VT highlighted. I didn’t know about the ohm differences and the system sounds pretty good now, however I know it’s not what it could be yet. It’s a process for sure and like having a BOAT (‘Bout Another Thousand) every step you take to improve.

#getting there slowly

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/premium-subwoofer-upgrade.29422/post-544633

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
did you put the C2 350’s in? How do they sound?

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
They sound good. Definitely a tight fit. But I believe the 3032’s in the dash were the biggest improvement.
the are a big help for the fronts, now i am looking to find something for the sound bar. Any suggestions ?

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm also looking to upgrade the speakers on my Alpine Premium system and had a few questions.
  1. Is there any advantage to the Infinity 3022 vs the 3032?
  2. Installing the Infiniti in the dash just requires bending the bracket with needle nose pliers to fit.
  3. If using the JL 350s in the soundbar, is there any drilling required? I did note that some mentioned it's a tight fit.
  4. Confirming I'd new two sets of these Metra 72-7902
Thanks in advance.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I'm also looking to upgrade the speakers on my Alpine Premium system and had a few questions.
  1. Is there any advantage to the Infinity 3022 vs the 3032?
  2. Installing the Infiniti in the dash just requires bending the bracket with needle nose pliers to fit.
  3. If using the JL 350s in the soundbar, is there any drilling required? I did note that some mentioned it's a tight fit.
  4. Confirming I'd new two sets of these Metra 72-7902
Thanks in advance.
1) Cant speak for the 3032, but very happy with the 3022’s (11 months and still sound great)
2) Correct, slight bend to fit the screw angle. Can’t tell after putting back on the cover plate.
3) No drilling, just tight.
4) Correct 2 pair per package and would need 2 packs (total of 4 adapters).

It’s an easy swap to change the 3.5’s. I used some polyfil too. Not sure if it helps or not, but think it does. No bass blockers for my install.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) Cant speak for the 3032, but very happy with the 3022’s (11 months and still sound great)
2) Correct, slight bend to fit the screw angle. Can’t tell after putting back on the cover plate.
3) No drilling, just tight.
4) Correct 2 pair per package and would need 2 packs (total of 4 adapters).

It’s an easy swap to change the 3.5’s. I used some polyfil too. Not sure if it helps or not, but think it does. No bass blockers for my install.
Awesome, thanks for help throughout the thread and the quick reply. I ordered the 3022s, the JL 350s and two of the Metra adapters. Will report back once installed.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thanks for help throughout the thread and the quick reply. I ordered the 3022s, the JL 350s and two of the Metra adapters. Will report back once installed.
So let me get this straight... Infinity 3022 in the dash and JL 350 in sound bar as I have a 8.4 Alpine Premium System ( https://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-350...child=1&keywords=JL+350&qid=1605565572&sr=8-1 )

PLUS 4 Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html ) I know It seems that I'm anal but helping others get it right.

Reactions: RSK

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So let me get this straight... Infinity 3022 in the dash and JL 350 in sound bar as I have a 8.4 Alpine Premium System ( https://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-350...child=1&keywords=JL+350&qid=1605565572&sr=8-1 )

PLUS 4 Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html ) I know It seems that I'm anal but helping others get it right.
You need 4 of the Metra 72-7902 adapters? Crutchfield's site says the 7902 doesn't work for the roll bar (assuming sound bar) and recommends the 72-614. Which is correct?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
so I just got my dash speakers installed, the drivers side polarity was reversed. I plugged the metra adapter in and tested with a multimeter. so I repined the adapter and installed the drivers side. the passenger side however the metra adapter worked straight in. I double and triple checked with a multimeter

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like conflicting reports on whether this upgrade is plug-n-play. Here's what I've purchased thus far. JL C2350s for soundbar. Infiniti 3022cfx for dash. Metra 72-7902 adapters. I do not currently own a multimeter, never used one and not sure how to use one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system IMG_3655

Is there any harm in just popping these in using the Metra adapters? Should I pick up a cheap multimeter? If so, any tips on how I'd go about testing and what impact that has on my use the Metra 72-7902 adapter?

Thanks.
Sponsored