Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

photo2000a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps,gofastcars,luxcars,oldcars,junkers
Occupation
Engineer, Fashion Photographer, Go fast driver
guess my only concern w/using other brand speakers would be if they maintained the waterproofing , I thought the factory ones specially up on top dash etc were water proofed?? hopefully the new alpines are....
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I was wondering if you had to cut out some of the plastic housing for the rear top mounted sound bar to fit the 3.5 speakers as the cutout is very small and is an exact fit for the stock 3.5 in speakers. I tried installing a pair of 3.5 JLAudio, (same as Light Bright)speakers in the rear but it didn't fit flush to the opening on the soundbar. I only run a pair of them in the front.
No cutting, just mounted with screws into plastic. I did have to solder the connector directly to the speaker for the sound bar to make room for the capacitor. This thread has more information.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-stock-sound-system.4009/page-16#post-255646

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
This was one of the better threads that has been started on this forum

Thanks. You guys are great and I will be checking out the treads that you all posted.

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
I think the knee and sound bar are same size.

For those who asked, the knee panel has 3 bolts by default, so I just self tapped 4 new screws. I can see where the factory missed all three "factory" holes anyway, so why not? It's just a plastic housing.'

Are these the same size that are in the soundbar as well?

Hogghead

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Pipe fitter
I think the knee and sound bar are same size.

For those who asked, the knee panel has 3 bolts by default, so I just self tapped 4 new screws. I can see where the factory missed all three "factory" holes anyway, so why not? It's just a plastic housing.'
I wonder if that’s where your rattle was coming from.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Didn't think about that. I've heard others say they stuffed some foam in there and it worked, but the new speaker doesn't have the popping, and I added a strip of foam and drilled the holes myself, so I would assume that wasn't it.

I wonder if that’s where your rattle was coming from.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Yes. I also ordered some speakers to replace the knee panels, should be here Friday, let me know how you make out.
You are a very patient person ..

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Any difference between the 3022 and 3032?

The 3022s are discontinued at Crutchfield but still available at Amazon. $10 cheaper but rating is significantly better than the 32s.

Thanks.

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Any difference between the 3022 and 3032?

The 3022s are discontinued at Crutchfield but still available at Amazon. $10 cheaper but rating is significantly better than the 32s.

Thanks.
I saw these on Amazon and wondered the same? Wattage difference maybe?

Hogghead

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Pipe fitter
Went through the Alpine booth at Jeep Fest and all the upgrades I seen available was for the JK. I didn’t get a chance to talk to anyone though just going by what they had out advertising.

Sponsored

DogsOnTheRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey, been following along in this thread.
Opened up my SoundBar to see what's inside, and the same sorry excuse for a tweeter is in there!
(Same connector as well. The woofer was a 4 incher, somewhat better quality, but same family as the tweeter.)

@Timmay, what size is the knee driver? I suspect it may be a matching woofer to the soundbar, but have not yet opened the knee panel.
It would make sense to have the same woofer as soundbar, but now you know you can put the identical dash speaker into the soundbar as the tweeter/mid.

Photo of SoundBar speakers attached. (Note the different connector used for the woofer.)

IMG_2053.JPG

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya even if ALPINE did come out with a complete system those things always RUN in the 1200.00 Range. F'k that. Way too much money for cheap crap.

DogsOnTheRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey, put in my front speakers today, and I suddenly have a soundstage! Still not what I would call "premium audio", but good for open top driving.
I plan to do the same to the rear Soundbar next week, as fading back and forth from front to rear is night and day difference.

This has been a great thread, and I recommend buying two sets of the 3.5" speakers, whichever brand you like.

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Hey, put in my front speakers today, and I suddenly have a soundstage! Still not what I would call "premium audio", but good for open top driving.
I plan to do the same to the rear Soundbar next week, as fading back and forth from front to rear is night and day difference.

This has been a great thread, and I recommend buying two sets of the 3.5" speakers, whichever brand you like.

Which speakers did you go with? Where did you purchase them from?

Did you have to purchase adapters? If so, what was the part number on those?

Thanks in advance for all the info.

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Which speakers did you go with? Where did you purchase them from?

Did you have to purchase adapters? If so, what was the part number on those?

Thanks in advance for all the info.
Very first post of the thread covers this, they come with the adapters if buying from Crutchfield
Sponsored