Sponsored

Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Yesterday I was driving top and doors off enjoying some tunes and when I slowed down it sounded like I blew a speaker on the sound bar. I’ve tracked it down to the 4” on the passenger side.
I think I’ve tracked this down to an insane rattle on the top side of the sound bar above the right side speakers. Doesn’t seem to be the speaker after all but it sure sounds like it until I put some pressure on the panel above. Now to come up with a fix for it…
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My factory dash tweeters clearly say 8 ohm on them (non-Alpine system, 7" display). I tried some Infinity 3-4 ohm replacements (Reference REF-3032cfx) and they were definitely louder, and clipped a lot at higher volumes. I just took them out as I couldn't deal with the clipping anymore, and they were also way too bright for my tastes.

Even dialing the treble way back didn't help. The only thing that did help was moving the fader to 80% rear, but then I lost all the bass.

Trying to find some aftermarket 8 ohm 3.5" tweeters is like finding a unicorn as well. So for now I'm back to the factory tweeters while I figure what, if anything, to replace them with.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My factory dash tweeters clearly say 8 ohm on them (non-Alpine system, 7" display). I tried some Infinity 3-4 ohm replacements (Reference REF-3032cfx) and they were definitely louder, and clipped a lot at higher volumes. I just took them out as I couldn't deal with the clipping anymore, and they were also way too bright for my tastes.

Even dialing the treble way back didn't help. The only thing that did help was moving the fader to 80% rear, but then I lost all the bass.

Trying to find some aftermarket 8 ohm 3.5" tweeters is like finding a unicorn as well. So for now I'm back to the factory tweeters while I figure what, if anything, to replace them with.
I had a similar experience with the 3032s when I initially installed them, but after I fixed the wiring of the Metra adapters they sounded pretty good and I ran with them for 3 years. I used the base blocking capacitors that come with the speakers to get more low frequency power to the lower dash speakers and used polly fill to help with left - right separation.

I also tried JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters in the upper dash with the provided harness. They provide a good balance for the lower dash factory speakers and in the dash, that combination sounded better that the 3032s. They still needed the Metra adapter wires reversed.

I have more details of my system posted here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/#post-1567017

sabharad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
The installation instructions that were emailed from CRUTCHFIELD have the wiring guide. Left corner: Positive (+) gray/violet or gray/orange, Negative (-) Gray/Yellow
Right Corner: Positive (+) dark green/violet or gray/dark green, Negative (-) dark green/yellow or gray/green.
Mine were LEFT corner POSITIVE Gray/orange, Negative gray/yellow.....RIGHT corner POSITIVE gray/dark green, NEGATIVE gray/green. (the gray/green negative is VERY light in color) The Speaker bar was self explanatory black/white.
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for this entire thread, especially @Loki Kai . The info on the polarity of n the metra harneses, and also the colors of the your cables and how they were different that the Crutfchfield instructions saved me a TON of time and frustration. THANK YOU.

For those wondering, I have the Alpine Premium system, but swapped out my uconnect for the Alpine x409 (I love it), replaced the soundbar speakers with the Alpine SPV-65-JLT (Yes, this can be done with the premium audio system, and yes, the metra adapters that Crutchfield sends for this are backwards too), and Just added the Kicker 47ksc3504's in my front dash corners.

Next up I'll change out my knee panel speakers... but seeing how much work that is, I'm going to be lazy for a while before tackling this project.... at least thats what I tell myself for now.

Thanks again everyone.

RNLROCK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE Sahara
Did this install today. Pretty simple, not much tweaking to fit the Infinity brackets, and wires were in correct polarity.

Definitely hearing a difference: it is a tad brighter than the Alpine, vocals are fuller and instruments more detailed, and I didn’t use poly fill in the front. My experience with Infinity is that they need 30 hours or so to break in and they lose much of the aggressiveness, so I’m withholding final judgement but so far - I like. Certainly not expecting Morel-quality at these prices ($58 per pair plus the Metra adapters).

I’m an audio snob (my current tube based system is below) so my expectations for stock car audio are much lower. By example, one of my Headphones in my home system below retails for about 15x the cost of two pairs of the Infinitys. I used to spend $$$ on car hifi but stock radios have gotten better and I mostly listen to talk radio and Tidal tunes on my commute, so I can’t see the value of doing a high end hifi system in the Jeep, which is cramped and noisy to begin with.

126E4A4F-5333-43E6-BAD6-1E3F9D9C8DBD.jpeg

F746487F-DA8A-4CF2-A968-76A4A95E7BBF.jpeg

6A760D94-C4CF-4103-AEF4-7BDE99E12C5B.jpeg
Love the VPI turntable, fellow audiophile!

So what was the end audio result and verdict for your Wrangler? I have the Alpine system, and my buddy want to install the Morels in my Wrangler.

Sponsored

VertigoTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Sport S
My factory dash tweeters clearly say 8 ohm on them (non-Alpine system, 7" display). I tried some Infinity 3-4 ohm replacements (Reference REF-3032cfx) and they were definitely louder, and clipped a lot at higher volumes...

Trying to find some aftermarket 8 ohm 3.5" tweeters is like finding a unicorn as well.
Couple of thoughts here...

Infinity References are known to be on the bright side. That's common for metal based tweeters. **EDIT** Just noticed these are "textile" tweeters.** I'd look for something with a silk dome tweeter for a smoother top end. The Infinities are ~3 ohm (more output at equal power vs 8 ohm) and have high sensitivity (also more output at equal power vs lower sensitivity). So they are both bright (harsh to my taste) and louder than your stock speaker.

According to wiring diagrams posted here and by Crutchfield, the front speakers in the non-Alpine base system are run in parallel on a single channel. If the 3.5 inch is 8 ohms, and the 4 inch is 4 ohms in parallel they result in a resistance of ~2.7 ohms. So basically a 3 ohm load to the head unit. By changing the 3.5 inch to a 4 ohm speaker that changes the load presented to the head unit to ~2 ohms. Not sure if it's rated for that, but it would increase the output and make the head unit work harder. This would also increase the negative aspects of the Infinities.

Yet there is a way to fix this. Use a 4 ohm 3.5 inch in the dash and an 8 ohm 4 inch speaker in the kick panel. This will present the same resistance load as the stock configuration. That could be a good time to upgrade to a 6.5 speaker too.

If you want 4 inch, I'd try this: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...eated-Paper-Cone-Midbass-Woofer-8-Ohm-295-416

If you want 6.5 inch, I'd try this: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DC160-8-6-1-2-Classic-Woofer-295-305 The sensitivity on this driver is ~82, but I've heard it in a project and provides good midbass, so I'd try it even with the lower sensitivity. If you would prefer something higher, check here: https://www.parts-express.com/speak...aldiameter/6~1-SLASH-2?order=pricelevel12:asc

You could also try this on the sound bar before committing to digging into the dash. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

blakenan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for this entire thread, especially @Loki Kai . The info on the polarity of n the metra harneses, and also the colors of the your cables and how they were different that the Crutfchfield instructions saved me a TON of time and frustration. THANK YOU.

For those wondering, I have the Alpine Premium system, but swapped out my uconnect for the Alpine x409 (I love it), replaced the soundbar speakers with the Alpine SPV-65-JLT (Yes, this can be done with the premium audio system, and yes, the metra adapters that Crutchfield sends for this are backwards too), and Just added the Kicker 47ksc3504's in my front dash corners.

Next up I'll change out my knee panel speakers... but seeing how much work that is, I'm going to be lazy for a while before tackling this project.... at least thats what I tell myself for now.

Thanks again everyone.
@sabharad Thanks to you and everyone on this thread. A wealth of information. I'm curious to hear your opinion of the Kickers in the upper dash location. I'm looking for an alternative to the Inifinitys as I tend to avoid really bright speakers. My first baby step will be to upgrade the upper dash and get an under-seat subwoofer. Any feedback you have would be great.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
I took mine out yesterday and tested with a volt meter. The 3.5 in the dash and the sound bar are 4 ohm, the 4" in the sound bar actually read 2.7 ohm. Usually you round up to 3, but i believe they are supposed to be 2. I installed the Infinity ref 3032 into the dash, they sound good. I also just bought the JL Audio C2350x, when they arrive, I will pout one on the drivers side, and leave one of the Infinity's in, and switch back and forth to see which I like better. I am hoping the JL has a little more less tangy sound, but the infinities sound way better then the stock speakers. I do have the alpine system, so I know it is sending only the highs and mids to that location. I am also going to do the MB Quart 6x9 upgrade to the sound bar. Crutchfield is out of stock on them, and they should be in next week. I have heard this upgrade is fantastic.
Did you ever put the JLs in the dash?

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Just installed the Infinity 3032cfx's in my Alpine dash corners. Very nice improvement. Highs are less crispy. Mids are richer. That's not surprising, given that the magnets are like 3x bigger.

For anyone considering this, it could not be easier.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html?omnews=7735982

Crutchfield includes the necessary Metra wiring harness for free, making this a 100% plug-and-play affair. 10 minute job.

I do recommend a trim-removal tool for removing the speaker grills. It'd be easy to mar the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system 1643478437712

Sponsored

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
They really are a huge improvement over stock. I did some side by side testing with these, stock, Kickers, and JLs. Everything was a huge improvement over stock. Kickers were the brightest, followed by Infinitys then JLs. I prefer the warmer JLs so I sent the Kickers back to Crutchfield and am selling a set of 4 Infinitys in the for sale section here.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Someday I hope I can directly compare the different ones to each other. Until then I am very happy with my JBL 3.5" GX328.

lostdownsouth

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUD
FWIW, in my 21 JLRUD, I pulled the dash Alpine's and put in the JL Audio C2's. They sound warmer than the stock Alipines right off the bat. I used a Metra 72-7902 and 5 minutes later was done. I'm happy with the sound improvement - I didn't try a bunch of other speakers, I just went to JL Audio because of good past experiences and I wasn't let down.
Sponsored