Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

brynamic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I’ve just read through this entire thread and what I think I’ve learned is on the standard audio system (not alpine) the 3.5” on the dash and sound bar are 4 ohm and the 4” in the knee panel and sound bar are 2 ohm? Keeping in mind I’ve never meddled in the details of car audio in the past, but I seems like I should by speakers that match the amp?

Yesterday I was driving top and doors off enjoying some tunes and when I slowed down it sounded like I blew a speaker on the sound bar. I’ve tracked it down to the 4” on the passenger side.

Backstory, I already replaced the front dash speakers with the Kicker 77KICK25AB and was happy with that. I also bought a set for the sound bar but never put them in because I was happy. Ha ha.

If I’m looking to replace both the 4” on the sound bar, would the kicker KM4’s be a good drop in replacement? I might throw the other set of 77KICK25AB at the same time.
Advertisement

captainkoz

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
I took mine out yesterday and tested with a volt meter. The 3.5 in the dash and the sound bar are 4 ohm, the 4" in the sound bar actually read 2.7 ohm. Usually you round up to 3, but i believe they are supposed to be 2. I installed the Infinity ref 3032 into the dash, they sound good. I also just bought the JL Audio C2350x, when they arrive, I will pout one on the drivers side, and leave one of the Infinity's in, and switch back and forth to see which I like better. I am hoping the JL has a little more less tangy sound, but the infinities sound way better then the stock speakers. I do have the alpine system, so I know it is sending only the highs and mids to that location. I am also going to do the MB Quart 6x9 upgrade to the sound bar. Crutchfield is out of stock on them, and they should be in next week. I have heard this upgrade is fantastic.

brynamic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Yesterday I was driving top and doors off enjoying some tunes and when I slowed down it sounded like I blew a speaker on the sound bar. I’ve tracked it down to the 4” on the passenger side.
I think I’ve tracked this down to an insane rattle on the top side of the sound bar above the right side speakers. Doesn’t seem to be the speaker after all but it sure sounds like it until I put some pressure on the panel above. Now to come up with a fix for it…

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My factory dash tweeters clearly say 8 ohm on them (non-Alpine system, 7" display). I tried some Infinity 3-4 ohm replacements (Reference REF-3032cfx) and they were definitely louder, and clipped a lot at higher volumes. I just took them out as I couldn't deal with the clipping anymore, and they were also way too bright for my tastes.

Even dialing the treble way back didn't help. The only thing that did help was moving the fader to 80% rear, but then I lost all the bass.

Trying to find some aftermarket 8 ohm 3.5" tweeters is like finding a unicorn as well. So for now I'm back to the factory tweeters while I figure what, if anything, to replace them with.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My factory dash tweeters clearly say 8 ohm on them (non-Alpine system, 7" display). I tried some Infinity 3-4 ohm replacements (Reference REF-3032cfx) and they were definitely louder, and clipped a lot at higher volumes. I just took them out as I couldn't deal with the clipping anymore, and they were also way too bright for my tastes.

Even dialing the treble way back didn't help. The only thing that did help was moving the fader to 80% rear, but then I lost all the bass.

Trying to find some aftermarket 8 ohm 3.5" tweeters is like finding a unicorn as well. So for now I'm back to the factory tweeters while I figure what, if anything, to replace them with.
I had a similar experience with the 3032s when I initially installed them, but after I fixed the wiring of the Metra adapters they sounded pretty good and I ran with them for 3 years. I used the base blocking capacitors that come with the speakers to get more low frequency power to the lower dash speakers and used polly fill to help with left - right separation.

I also tried JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters in the upper dash with the provided harness. They provide a good balance for the lower dash factory speakers and in the dash, that combination sounded better that the 3032s. They still needed the Metra adapter wires reversed.

I have more details of my system posted here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/#post-1567017

sabharad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
The installation instructions that were emailed from CRUTCHFIELD have the wiring guide. Left corner: Positive (+) gray/violet or gray/orange, Negative (-) Gray/Yellow
Right Corner: Positive (+) dark green/violet or gray/dark green, Negative (-) dark green/yellow or gray/green.
Mine were LEFT corner POSITIVE Gray/orange, Negative gray/yellow.....RIGHT corner POSITIVE gray/dark green, NEGATIVE gray/green. (the gray/green negative is VERY light in color) The Speaker bar was self explanatory black/white.
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for this entire thread, especially @Loki Kai . The info on the polarity of n the metra harneses, and also the colors of the your cables and how they were different that the Crutfchfield instructions saved me a TON of time and frustration. THANK YOU.

For those wondering, I have the Alpine Premium system, but swapped out my uconnect for the Alpine x409 (I love it), replaced the soundbar speakers with the Alpine SPV-65-JLT (Yes, this can be done with the premium audio system, and yes, the metra adapters that Crutchfield sends for this are backwards too), and Just added the Kicker 47ksc3504's in my front dash corners.

Next up I'll change out my knee panel speakers... but seeing how much work that is, I'm going to be lazy for a while before tackling this project.... at least thats what I tell myself for now.

Thanks again everyone.

RNLROCK

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE Sahara
Did this install today. Pretty simple, not much tweaking to fit the Infinity brackets, and wires were in correct polarity.

Definitely hearing a difference: it is a tad brighter than the Alpine, vocals are fuller and instruments more detailed, and I didn’t use poly fill in the front. My experience with Infinity is that they need 30 hours or so to break in and they lose much of the aggressiveness, so I’m withholding final judgement but so far - I like. Certainly not expecting Morel-quality at these prices ($58 per pair plus the Metra adapters).

I’m an audio snob (my current tube based system is below) so my expectations for stock car audio are much lower. By example, one of my Headphones in my home system below retails for about 15x the cost of two pairs of the Infinitys. I used to spend $$$ on car hifi but stock radios have gotten better and I mostly listen to talk radio and Tidal tunes on my commute, so I can’t see the value of doing a high end hifi system in the Jeep, which is cramped and noisy to begin with.

126E4A4F-5333-43E6-BAD6-1E3F9D9C8DBD.jpeg

F746487F-DA8A-4CF2-A968-76A4A95E7BBF.jpeg

6A760D94-C4CF-4103-AEF4-7BDE99E12C5B.jpeg
Love the VPI turntable, fellow audiophile!

So what was the end audio result and verdict for your Wrangler? I have the Alpine system, and my buddy want to install the Morels in my Wrangler.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement