Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are the JL speakers as bright as the Infinity speakers?

Advertisement

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Are the JL speakers as bright as the Infinity speakers?
I don’t know about that as I have never heard the Infinity’s before to compare. They are certainly brighter then the stock speakers that were removed, but I would say the sound pretty balanced.

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don’t know about that as I have never heard the Infinity’s before to compare. They are certainly brighter then the stock speakers that were removed, but I would say the sound pretty balanced.
Definitely want a better dash speaker, but don't want something too bright or harsh at highway speeds

willhayward

First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Definitely want a better dash speaker, but don't want something too bright or harsh at highway speeds
I replaced my 2021 JLU front dash with Infinity Reference and they are amazing. I have the OEM Premium Alpine system and recently replaced all the speakers (JL Audio C1-650 coaxial with Metra Pods in the knee panels and C1-650 components in the sound bar) - night and day difference; worth the $500 extra.

exilepa

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I replaced my 2021 JLU front dash with Infinity Reference and they are amazing. I have the OEM Premium Alpine system and recently replaced all the speakers (JL Audio C1-650 coaxial with Metra Pods in the knee panels and C1-650 components in the sound bar) - night and day difference; worth the $500 extra.
Did you keep the Alpine premium factory amp and head unit ? I read another post that said swapping the knee panels for the metra with 6.5s wouldn't be a big difference because of factory amp limitations. Sounds like that may not be the case? Just how bad was the knee speaker replacement -- Did you remove full dash or only partial?

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Subscribing

willhayward

First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Did you keep the Alpine premium factory amp and head unit ? I read another post that said swapping the knee panels for the metra with 6.5s wouldn't be a big difference because of factory amp limitations. Sounds like that may not be the case? Just how bad was the knee speaker replacement -- Did you remove full dash or only partial?
I only replaced the speakers and the alpine amp is great with the speakers I mentioned.

As for the install - the route I went with the sound bar was a pain in the ass as I cut out room for 6.5 in speakers using a kit off Crutchfield using a sawzaw.

The top dash speakers were a breeze.

Now for the pain - the knee panel pod replacements took about 4 hours - removed the HVAC controls, radio faceplate, glovebox, dash cover and trim. The driver’s side required removing the GPS antenna and removing dash frame screws to give enough room to wiggle speaker pod out.

the sound from the mentioned speakers is awesome though - much better than the “premium alpine.” My wife and kids agree.

RSK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th 2015 Jeep Renegade 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I only replaced the speakers and the alpine amp is great with the speakers I mentioned.

As for the install - the route I went with the sound bar was a pain in the ass as I cut out room for 6.5 in speakers using a kit off Crutchfield using a sawzaw.

The top dash speakers were a breeze.

Now for the pain - the knee panel pod replacements took about 4 hours - removed the HVAC controls, radio faceplate, glovebox, dash cover and trim. The driver’s side required removing the GPS antenna and removing dash frame screws to give enough room to wiggle speaker pod out.

the sound from the mentioned speakers is awesome though - much better than the “premium alpine.” My wife and kids agree.
So, I have already done the Metra pods in the dash (yes major PITA), added Focal 6.5” and Infinity 3.5” for the upper dash. Just bought the soundbar SSV 6.5” adapter kit from Crutchfield.

Just to confirm, you put in C1-650 components in the soundbar and kept the 8.4 Premium OEM Amp and still sounds good to drive everything?

I was going to do this mod with an aftermarket AMP later in the year, but if the components sound great with the OEM Premium AMP, will do the soundbar part now. Then do the AMP after if not satisfied.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Dwayne Lane's Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Advertisement