First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Seems like conflicting reports on whether this upgrade is plug-n-play. Here's what I've purchased thus far. JL C2350s for soundbar. Infiniti 3022cfx for dash. Metra 72-7902 adapters. I do not currently own a multimeter, never used one and not sure how to use one.

IMG_3655.jpg

Is there any harm in just popping these in using the Metra adapters? Should I pick up a cheap multimeter? If so, any tips on how I'd go about testing and what impact that has on my use the Metra 72-7902 adapter?

Thanks.
If you have an iPhone check out SpeakerPop app. It is great for quickly getting polarity correct.
Sponsored

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
If you have an iPhone check out SpeakerPop app. It is great for quickly getting polarity correct.
Thanks, I'm going to head back in when doing the polyfill to correct. What exactly needs to happen? Do I have to adjust the pins in the adapter? Also, this doesn't apply to the soundbar? I'm about to do those with the same 72-7090 adapter.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks, I'm going to head back in when doing the polyfill to correct. What exactly needs to happen? Do I have to adjust the pins in the adapter? Also, this doesn't apply to the soundbar? I'm about to do those with the same 72-7090 adapter.
Replace the speaker and test with SpeakerPop and the test track to make sure polarity is still the same as other speakers. You don't have to fully install to test, but make sure to test from front of speaker as from the back the polarity will be reversed!! Point the phone microphone right to front of speaker you wish to test; about 6 to 12 inches away.

If it shows up as reversed you need to swap the wires by whatever means is easiest. If you have the right terminals for the speaker side I just cut them off and replace. If not you can solder. Or you can try to unlock the pins and swap them in the Metra connector.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
so I just got my dash speakers installed, the drivers side polarity was reversed. I plugged the metra adapter in and tested with a multimeter. so I repined the adapter and installed the drivers side. the passenger side however the metra adapter worked straight in. I double and triple checked with a multimeter
How would I go about checking it with a Multimeter?

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
How would I go about checking it with a Multimeter?
Read the voltage coming off the stock wiring. Red to positive and black to ground will give a positive reading on the multimeter. If it’s a negative voltage you have the leads switched

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Seems like conflicting reports on whether this upgrade is plug-n-play. Here's what I've purchased thus far. JL C2350s for soundbar. Infiniti 3022cfx for dash. Metra 72-7902 adapters. I do not currently own a multimeter, never used one and not sure how to use one.

IMG_3655.jpg

Is there any harm in just popping these in using the Metra adapters? Should I pick up a cheap multimeter? If so, any tips on how I'd go about testing and what impact that has on my use the Metra 72-7902 adapter?

Thanks.
You ordered the exact setup I have in mine. You could multi meter it, but sound should tell you if polarity is reversed. Mine were plug and play and everything was fine. I originally added bass blocker, but got a popping noise when powering on the head unit. I removed the base blockers and no popping, just good sound. Just used the adapter plugs and had no other issues.

I have read on the forums where some have reversed polarity and had to switch the metra pins, luckily I didn’t have that problem.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I had trouble getting the JL 350s to fit. It seems they barely fit without the adapter. Once I put the Metra harness on, one side is always out. I spent about an hour trying to fit one speaker and gave up. I'd love to get them installed if anyone has tips on how to make them fit. If I'm unable to get them installed, are there other upgrade options for the sound bar that are an easier fit.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I had trouble getting the JL 350s to fit. It seems they barely fit without the adapter. Once I put the Metra harness on, one side is always out. I spent about an hour trying to fit one speaker and gave up. I'd love to get them installed if anyone has tips on how to make them fit. If I'm unable to get them installed, are there other upgrade options for the sound bar that are an easier fit.
Most of those I know who have upgraded the dash and sounder 3.5's go with the Kenwood KFC-X3C. I know these fit without problems, but are snug in the sound bar. They sound pretty good for what they are.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is a small channel opening where OEM wire comes in. I tucked the adapter white plug up inside that opening getting out of the way of the circular cone part of the SB. Held the adapter there with my fingers until the speaker holds it in place, then gave the C2-350 a little clockwise twist to line up the screw holes. You could always hard wire, but shouldn’t be necessary. Notice the JLAudio logo located on cone and foam side in orientation. If you need me to open up the inside for a picture let me know. I’d rather not disassemble, but will if needed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system 1605995796522

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your work and offer to reopen... No need. But a few questions as looking to replace my 3.5 in sound bar.. Crutchfield said will not fit my JLR with Alpine Premo system.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2350X/JL-Audio-C2-350x.html

I did put some Infinity 3032cfx in the dash and worked great. Did not add the base capacitor either.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html?tp=96&l=A

So what do you think... C2-350 or 3032cfx and follow your suggestion.

There is a small channel opening where OEM wire comes in. I tucked the adapter white plug up inside that opening getting out of the way of the circular cone part of the SB. Held the adapter there with my fingers until the speaker holds it in place, then gave the C2-350 a little clockwise twist to line up the screw holes. You could always hard wire, but shouldn’t be necessary. Notice the JLAudio logo located on cone and foam side in orientation. If you need me to open up the inside for a picture let me know. I’d rather not disassemble, but will if needed.

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for your work and offer to reopen... No need. But a few questions as looking to replace my 3.5 in sound bar.. Crutchfield said will not fit my JLR with Alpine Premo system.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2350X/JL-Audio-C2-350x.html

I did put some Infinity 3032cfx in the dash and worked great. Did not add the base capacitor either.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html?tp=96&l=A

So what do you think... C2-350 or 3032cfx and follow your suggestion.
Glad the dash speakers worked out well for you. For the soundbar I think the JL C2’s has more base and the Infinity has more highs. It’s really a preference thing, but I prefer the base to the rear or behind me. You usually want base from the rear and too much highs can be overwhelming and without balance. Crutchfield said the same thing about them not fitting my Gladiator SB, but after some finagling with the wiring plug they will go in as you can see from the picture.

I think the JL and JT soundbar take the same premium speakers, so should fit. I’ve heard people speak highly of the Kenwood’s too. If the place you are buying from has a good return policy, try a couple brands. I know Crutchfield will return for $10 including shipping which isn’t bad to try out what you like the most.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine were flipped as well. Called Crutchfield and they were great. They put a note in the file for JL's so they know the issue in the future. They are sending me some quick connects so I can snip the old ones off and put the new ones on in reverse. No charge for anything.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I recently picked up a pair of the Crutchfields during their half off sale. Today I finally made time to install them. I work in an unheated garage and the impending -50°F wind-chills being predicted for this later week spurred me on.

The blinding white light from the snow outside, contrasting with the shadows in my garage made it hard to see how I needed to bend the tabs on the Crutchfields. Once the windshield was down things just hooked right up.

It seems they are working correctly. I only had time for a short jaunt to listen so far. They seem like a nice improvement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system PXL_20201221_171041106

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system PXL_20201221_171045380

At least the design of the defroster vents make for a handy tool holder.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Am I missing something? I can’t get the 3.5“ Infiniti’s to fit into the sound bar and line up with the holes to save my life? I can only get them to fit if I line the connectors up with the channel, but then they are no where near the screw holes. Are you guys all drilling new holes? Are there speakers that don’t require drilling?

Thanks

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Am I missing something? I can’t get the 3.5“ Infiniti’s to fit into the sound bar and line up with the holes to save my life? I can only get them to fit if I line the connectors up with the channel, but then they are no where near the screw holes. Are you guys all drilling new holes? Are there speakers that don’t require drilling?

Thanks
Drilled new holes.
Sponsored