Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
I had a popping noise, I thought was coming from the front dash speakers, but as I found out, it's the knee speakers. The good news is the speakers I bought drive a much cleaner high and add even an extra mid-bass allowing me to keep the volume down while getting cleaner "in your face" sound.

These were used in the Alpine 9 speaker system with 8.4" touchscreen, but I am guessing most dash speakers are the same size.

I purchased the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers which I mention because all links die eventually, but at the time this was posted the link is:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html?omnews=15593

It required trimming a tiny amount off the very ends of the mounts (it looks like it would fit three possible applications).

mHDdNV9.jpg

PnfMDVl.jpg

Had I known how much better these improved the front sound, I would have done this anyway, so that worked out :) I've had two audio shops tell me speaker upgrades wouldn't do me any good. Now I'm questioning that.
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. I've replaced the 4 small speakers and have been thinking about replacing at least the knee speakers. I assume you also need a harness similar to a Metra 72-6514?

DrJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The voice coil magnets are much bigger, so it makes sense you would get better sound. The factory speakers are dinky, surprised to see that especially if they are indeed Alpine speakers. How hard was it get the stock speakers out? Did you have remove the interior door panel?

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crutchfield includes a harness seen in the photo.

Good to know. I've replaced the 4 small speakers and have been thinking about replacing at least the knee speakers. I assume you also need a harness similar to a Metra 72-6514?

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the dash, you pop off the cover, take out two screws. Taking my time, it took a half-hour including trimming the edges off.

The voice coil magnets are much bigger, so it makes sense you would get better sound. The factory speakers are dinky, surprised to see that especially if they are indeed Alpine speakers. How hard was it get the stock speakers out? Did you have remove the interior door panel?

Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One did mention 2,000 :)

Easy answer.. Those shops wanna sell you more expensive components! They figure, if you’re gonna upgrade speakers, you’re gonna wanna amp, etc!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Drove for an hour last night. Clean highs, improved mid-bass and in your face. I rarely needed to crank it above 20. If you go near the high end, you may need to adjust the balance a couple of notches to the rear.

So you had a volume increase with these?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I thought the lower speakers were 4.5" and the ones on top of the dash were 3.5"? It sounds like you had 3.5s in the lower dash and replaced them with another set of 3.5s?

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are only 2 dash speakers and they're 3.5. You're thinking of the knee speakers.

I thought the lower speakers were 4.5" and the ones on top of the dash were 3.5"? It sounds like you had 3.5s in the lower dash and replaced them with another set of 3.5s?

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So, you're saying you replaced the knee panel speakers with these? Even on the site you linked, it says these are for the dash corners, which are 3.5 inch speakers. The knee panel speakers are 4.5 inch speakers.

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, 3.5 dash speakers. The ones you look at the covers in the corners with as you drive.

I originally said I thought the popping was coming from the dash speakers, when replaced I realized the popping was the knee speakers. That might be the confusion?

So, you're saying you replaced the knee panel speakers with these? Even on the site you linked, it says these are for the dash corners, which are 3.5 inch speakers. The knee panel speakers are 4.5 inch speakers.
Sponsored