First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I see where the possible liability was mentioned for hitting the truck in front. Keep in mind when hit from the rear, your body is propelled backwards and your foot does come off the the brake pedal.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Guessing totaled as well, based on my experience within insurance, etc- but this is the process another user went through when it came to frame replacement:
Frame replacement.

First Name
Robs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well, I was in that situation. Although my car was no longer new then. But I planned to sell it in the next two months before that accident. Of course, I was furious at the culprit of the accident.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I was in that situation. Although my car was no longer new then. But I planned to sell it in the next two months before that accident. Of course, I was furious at the culprit of the accident.
Looks like you got either the wrong avatar...or the wrong forum šŸ˜«

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I know every insurance company is different and things in US are different that Canada. I just went through this with my daughters car due to a deer strike. My daughter is fine but the car not so much. Insurance told me repairs would have to be 75% of value to total the car. Upon inspection the repair amount was 55% of value without even taking it apart. At that point they made the decision total the vehicle because they knew once they pulled it apart there would be a lot more damage and more than likely frame damage. The insurance company then cut me a check for current market value which was $4k more than I paid for the car 24 months ago.

Where it got interesting is the prior rear end damage to the car from an accident earlier in the year. She was rear ended but didn't have time to get repairs done before going back to college and repairs were scheduled for this week. My insurance company did deduct $642 from my payout for this prior damage. I called the insurance company of the person that rear ended my daughter to cancel the repairs and was told they still owe me the money due to diminished value. They cut me a check for $1650.00 which was equal to the body shop estimate.

Sponsored

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
This past Thursday my pride and joy (2021 Sahara with 10,000 km on it) was involved in a not at fault accident. My husband was sitting at a red light and a guy in a Range Rover crashed into the back of him at about 80 - 90 kms, pushing him into the back of a flat bed tow truck in front of him. So there is both back and front damage. At quick glance, it actually doesnā€™t look that bad (the Range Roverā€™s front end was demolished though) , and I have to hand it to the Jeep for taking such a blow like a champ. It probably saved my husband from some very serious injuries as well. That being said, thereā€™s a lot of hidden damage that isnā€™t immediately noticeable. Both bumpers are toast, the back tailgate is cracked and will need to be completely replaced, the floor in the back is crunched and you canā€™t get into the little cubby, the front grill was caved in and has puncture holes, which put a hole in the rad (causing all of the coolant to leak out), one of the motor mounts was sheared, thereā€™s damage to the front lights, there is damage to one fender flare, the back tire mount is messed and the spare rim is all scratched up, and a bunch of other things Iā€™m probably not remembering right now. Itā€™s undriveable right now as it would overheat immediately. Thatā€™s only what we can see and it hasnā€™t been officially assessed yet as we are waiting for it to be towed on Monday.

Since itā€™s so new and insurance would have to pay out full value (plus additional things such as replacement value for the 5 winter tires on it, a tint job, etc), Iā€™m guessing it wouldnā€™t be a write off, but Iā€™m not ruling it out in case thereā€™s damage to the frame and other things weā€™re not able to see. At the very least, it looks like they are going to have to do a lot of disassembly and rebuilding.

One of our biggest concerns right now is diminished value. Believe me when I say this Wrangler has been babied and kept in immaculate condition. Weā€™ve had it for a year and a half and it had not a mark on it and very low kms (a lot of that thanks to the pandemic) It would have been worth a significant amount if we had chosen to sell it in another 3.5 years. Now thatā€™s been in an accident itā€™s ā€œ taintedā€, and unfortunately where we live (Ontario), we are not able to file diminished value claims through insurance. So Iā€™m wondering if anyone has been in a situation and how much their vehicleā€™s value actually diminished in reality. Is it a lot, or is it fairly minor? I know it depends on insurance companies, but has anyone in a similar situation had all replaced parts be OEM? Iā€™m a bit worried about getting aftermarket crap and that also affecting value. Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated! This is new waters for me and Iā€™m pretty anxious about how itā€™s all going to go.
I was in a similar situation in July, I feel your pain. My Jeep took a hell of a hit as well and the damage appeared to be repairable. I found a couple places that would do the report for about $300, luckily it never got that far. The aluminum parts needed to be replaced not repaired and in my case those parts were so far out the insurance co decided to total it as opposed to waiting and paying for a rental.

This happened in July at the height of post pandemic used car pricing so the comps were sky high and the insurance co sent me an offer for a solid 10K over what I was hoping for. With a little luck you should be in the same boat and you will not need the DVR.

Mine was a 4 month old Sport Altitude w/ 6K miles that I had ordered in January. It was what I could afford/justify at the time. With the extra 10K I was able to order a Rubicon with a few extra goodies. It's been a slow motion happy ending for me, haha.

Good luck, hopefully you get some good news soon.

I almost forgot, a good friend of mine manages an insurance co. She told me if the offer (assuming it's totaled) is too low, refuse it and send them a counter offer showing comps in your area.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Sorry for your accident.From your description your jeep may be done,and probably should be.Frame damages in the rear,enough force to break a motor mount.The scarcity of replacement parts......I wish you the very best.
Sponsored