Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
  • Banned
I compiled a list of everything I want to add to the JLUR I ordered, and it leaves less than 100 pounds for myself and any passenger(s). Myself and my dog total 310 (she's over 100 lbs). This is a bummer. From what I've found, I only have 1,235 lbs of payload to start. Here's what I'm talking about, loaded down for camping/exploring:

Aftermarket top extra 150 lbs
ARB compressor 25
Rear bumper 150
Jerry cans (full) 80
Propane tank 37
Solar panel/inverter 35
Full fridge 100
Front bumper/winch 250
Tools 125
Sleeping bag/clothing 50
Water 140

This doesn't even account for some odds and ends. I like to be geared up for long adventures. I'm thinking of taking this Jeep to Alaska in the spring. What recommendations does anybody have in terms of a beefed up spring package, etc?
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
A couple of things:

1) you have about 850 pounds of payload, I think, on a JLU. Itā€™s on your door jam.... mine says 850. Take a look.
2) your calculation above should be net (New stuff weight misused replaced stuff weight ā€” Maybe you already Did that?)
3) 125 pounds of tools? That weighs as much as my wife. Are you sure about that one? Are you including all of your recovery gear in this? Shackles, tow straps, ropes, snatchblock, traction boards, shovel, etc? Even still, that seems like a lot to me.
4) 140 pounds of water is 17-ish gallons. A gallon per person per day is a good estimate depending on climate. How long will you be out without access to potable water? I think what many folks who will be away from potable water for a LONG time do is take ā€˜someā€˜ water and then take a filtration kit. Saves a lot of weight.
5) 12 gallons of extra gas? That my be needed, again depending on circumstances. But that too is a lot of extra gas for the average trip.
6) what is an ā€˜after market extra topā€? Is this the net weight after removing the top you have? same with the bumpers?
7) front bumper and winch/plate/etc at 250 pounds seems high to me as well. The TrailRecon guy on you tube did a plastic OEM bumper replacement with the OEM steel bumper, steel skid, and a smittybilt winch with synthetic line. He added only about 125 pounds (Net). That does seem light to me and Iā€™m wondering if his weights were accurate. Bump it to 175 pounds net and itā€™s still 75 pounds under your number. how did you calculate the 250?
8) rear bumper: which one are you looking at? An LOD rear bumper weighs about 90 pounds then subtract what you have (maybe 25for the plastic OEM one?). So youā€™re down to about 65 pounds net not 150. Thatā€™s a very useful 85 pounds. Are you adding a tire carrier? Is that why you were at 150?
9) 37 pound tank of propane. Thatā€™s a lot of fuel. That must mean that you really like to cook and eat well on your trips. All good. But it also means that you have undercounted some stuff too. You will need a mount for that tank, hoses, cook stove, and some kind of cooking station (tailgate table, other table, utensils, knives, pots, etc.) thatā€™s likely 50 pounds more stuff, even if you go with lighter weight ā€œhikingā€ solutions.
10) how will you power the fridge? Dual battery kit or something else? Maybe the solar that you mentioned? Have you accounted for battery weights here?

This is absolutely, your Jeep, your way. Not trying to steer you in any other direction. Your Jeep, your way. But if this is truly the (net) weights and all truly what you need/wish to take, you will be over the rated payload.

there is a very good YouTube channel: ā€œthe road chose meā€œ.......he has a series right now on driving the AlCan highway. His advice: as long as you have range of 250 miles, you donā€™t need to bring extra gas. I really liked the series as he also discusses where to sleep, options, etc. very good. No specific mods needed for the trip, he says. He also has a great video on payload weight and gear for Jeeps and he gives very solid practical advice on how to manage weights. He knows what he is talking about and he has the real world overlanding creds to demonstrate it.

Others can help you with Your suspension question ā€” but I think that the payload limit on a JLUR has more to do with the tire rating than the springs/suspension.... others will know more than me.....

Last edited:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
If you really do plan to have that much weight, one thing you can do is add +0.5-1" springs in the rear. So, do a 2.5" lift in the front and a 3.5" lift in the rear. It can really help you out when loaded up.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If you really do plan to have that much weight, one thing you can do is add +0.5-1" springs in the rear. So, do a 2.5" lift in the front and a 3.5" lift in the rear. It can really help you out when loaded up.
Wouldnā€™t ā€œEā€œ rated tires give him several hundred pounds more payload than the stock ā€œcā€ rated? I have NO experience here and really donā€™t know if this is accurate, but if he adds the springs, that will prevent sag, true..... but wonā€™t he also be ā€œoverloadingā€œ his ā€œcā€ rated tires?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Wouldnā€™t ā€œEā€œ rated tires give him several hundred pounds more payload than the stock ā€œcā€ rated? I have NO experience here and really donā€™t know if this is accurate, but if he adds the springs, that will prevent sag, true..... but wonā€™t he also be ā€œoverloadingā€œ his ā€œcā€ rated tires?
I don't know about any of that. I just know that overlanding guys will add extra spring height in the rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
  • Banned
A couple of things:

1) you have about 850 pounds of payload, I think, on a JLU. Itā€™s on your door jam.... mine says 850. Take a look.

Bummer.

2) your calculation above should be net (New stuff weight misused replaced stuff weight ā€” Maybe you already Did that?)

As best I could. Without items in hand, I'm only as good as the internet.

3) 125 pounds of tools? That weighs as much as my wife. Are you sure about that one? Are you including all of your recovery gear in this? Shackles, tow straps, ropes, snatchblock, traction boards, shovel, etc? Even still, that seems like a lot to me.

It's probably understated, to be honest. These tools include many hand tools for emergency repairs and fixes, a shovel, 2 bottle jacks, etc. It adds up quick. It's almost solid metal. I could probably whittle it down some.

4) 140 pounds of water is 17-ish gallons. A gallon per person per day is a good estimate depending on climate. How long will you be out without access to potable water? I think what many folks who will be away from potable water for a LONG time do is take ā€˜someā€˜ water and then take a filtration kit. Saves a lot of weight.

Counting on finding water and filtering it is a major PITA. I prefer to haul. And it's for my dog, too. Water goes quick.

5) 12 gallons of extra gas? That my be needed, again depending on circumstances. But that too is a lot of extra gas for the average trip.

It's actually 10 gallons with the weight of the steel cans included. Extra fuel is a security blanket that I will not forego. I always carry extra in my diesel truck, too. I once helped a family out with 5 gallons in the middle of Nevada who miscalculated and were not going to make it to a fuel station.

6) what is an ā€˜after market extra topā€? Is this the net weight after removing the top you have? same with the bumpers?

It's not "extra top," the "extra" was for the weight. It's a pop-up tent top with awning. I am not sure the awning was even accounted for.

7) front bumper and winch/plate/etc at 250 pounds seems high to me as well. The TrailRecon guy on you tube did a plastic OEM bumper replacement with the OEM steel bumper, steel skid, and a smittybilt winch with synthetic line. He added only about 125 pounds (Net). That does seem light to me and Iā€™m wondering if his weights were accurate. Bump it to 175 pounds net and itā€™s still 75 pounds under your number. how did you calculate the 250?

Again, I did the best I could to try to find weights online.

8) rear bumper: which one are you looking at? An LOD rear bumper weighs about 90 pounds then subtract what you have (maybe 25for the plastic OEM one?). So youā€™re down to about 65 pounds net not 150. Thatā€™s a very useful 85 pounds. Are you adding a tire carrier? Is that why you were at 150?

Funny you mention LOD, I used their "Destroyer" rear bumper with jerry can mounts as an example for weight. It is listed as 146 lbs without all the accessories.

9) 37 pound tank of propane. Thatā€™s a lot of fuel. That must mean that you really like to cook and eat well on your trips. All good. But it also means that you have undercounted some stuff too. You will need a mount for that tank, hoses, cook stove, and some kind of cooking station (tailgate table, other table, utensils, knives, pots, etc.) thatā€™s likely 50 pounds more stuff, even if you go with lighter weight ā€œhikingā€ solutions.

It's a 20 lb cylinder, full.

10) how will you power the fridge? Dual battery kit or something else? Maybe the solar that you mentioned? Have you accounted for battery weights here?

Not yet, which is why I mentioned there were some other odds and ends. I also didn't include my computer, GPS, and other electronics.

This is absolutely, your Jeep, your way. Not trying to steer you in any other direction. Your Jeep, your way. But if this is truly the (net) weights and all truly what you need/wish to take, you will be over the rated payload.

Yes, I know.

there is a very good YouTube channel: ā€œthe road chose meā€œ.......he has a series right now on driving the AlCan highway. His advice: as long as you have range of 250 miles, you donā€™t need to bring extra gas. I really liked the series as he also discusses where to sleep, options, etc. very good. No specific mods needed for the trip, he says. He also has a great video on payload weight and gear for Jeeps and he gives very solid practical advice on how to manage weights. He knows what he is talking about and he has the real world overlanding creds to demonstrate it.

Thank you.

Others can help you with Your suspension question ā€” but I think that the payload limit on a JLUR has more to do with the tire rating than the springs/suspension.... others will know more than me.....

Do you know what the weight rating is on the factory BFG tires? Thank you for your reply.

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
  • Banned

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
It will say right on the side of the tire.

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It will say right on the side of the tire.
That's helpful if you have the Jeep and aren't forced to look for info online. Mine is on order, hence why my 1,235 payload number is apparently way off.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Rear air bags also an option if you expect your load to vary lot over your journey.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also get realistic weight forward. With the right bumper you can carry some stuff up front which helps.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
That's helpful if you have the Jeep and aren't forced to look for info online. Mine is on order, hence why my 1,235 payload number is apparently way off.
Oopps ... sorry bro ... missed that part.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No, tires are only one factor. Suspension, axle, brakes...

Also need to watch where the weight is loaded by looking at GAWR, rear axle capacity is 3,100 lbs on a JLUR

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't really have anything smart to say... I know some people who overloaded their Jeeps, but only for shorter trips.

OTOH, there is that youtube channel with the family of five who overlanded in a JKU for years (I think). They must have been over the GVWR from the looks of it. I don't think they had problems related to that. They still use the JK.

Maybe you can take less water, have a few filtering systems and refill on the road. There should be plenty natural water sources in Alaska. Maybe a little less fuel as well.

Weight is the main reason why I am not using steel bumpers anymore. Same for RTT
Sponsored