Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser GXR
Hey guys..

So I have a really annoying coworker that calls himself a "racer" when he barely knows anything about cars (I'm not saying I do, but I don't call myself that)

Anyway, he's taken my Jeep for a spin without my permission in the past and that really pissed me off. Today, he managed to piss me off even more.

I was parked on a ramp-like thing near a building, and another car was parked behind me so I couldn't get out. This guy was there and he was insisting that he could get it out so he gets into my JL and starts accelerating really hard like seven times. I kept yelling out "HANDBRAKE" and he was sure that there was something wrong with the Jeep because it wouldn't move. I think he had pushed it down but not all the way since the D on the shifting gear was flickering. I got in the Jeep (after the guy behind me moved his car) and was able to drive with no issues.

So my question is, will this damage my brakes in any way?? I'm really pissed off and upset right now. :(
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Berrypunch
In my experience, I could still drive with my hand brake on. And D wasn’t flickering. You’ll eventually hear a chime if you drive like that for a while. If it were flickering, your transmission probably wasn’t engaged and you probably didn’t do any damage to your brakes at all. With that said I have a 2018 model and they may have changed it since then.

I’m more interested in the story of how your coworker managed to drive your Jeep without your permission. So he stole your keys? What else does he do without your permission?

EDIT: I was about to say you sound like a push-over and your coworker seems to walk all over you, but then I see that you are a woman in Middle-East and it probably made more sense now. With that said, I wouldn’t let this coworker anywhere near my Jeep within a 10ft radius.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berrypunch

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Berrypunch
In my experience, I could still drive with my hand brake on. And D wasn’t flickering. You’ll eventually hear a chime if you drive like that for a while. If it were flickering, your transmission probably wasn’t engaged and you probably didn’t do any damage to your brakes at all. With that said I have a 2018 model and they may have changed it since then.

I’m more interested in the story of how your coworker managed to drive your Jeep without your permission. So he stole your keys? What else does he do without your permission?

EDIT: I was about to say you sound like a push-over and your coworker seems to walk all over you, but then I see that you are a woman in Middle-East and it probably made more sense now. With that said, I wouldn’t let this coworker anywhere near my Jeep within a 10ft radius.
Well he's actually kind of my boss, so it's hard to be very stern with him (even though I tried and he's an ass that doesn't listen). I say kind of because my actual boss is on maternity leave and he's supposed to take her spot until she's back.

About when he took it for a spin.. Basically he'd given me some work to do and saw my fob on the desk and asked to go look at the Jeep in the parking. I gave him the fob thinking he'd just go take a look and check it out (like other sane, polite people would), but that wasn't the case.

I should also add that women's rights here aren't as bad as people (or the media) make them seem. Especially in my country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berrypunch

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the D was blinking, the Jeep probably went into "autopark". Seat belt not on, door open, speed less than 1.2 MPH...
Would that cause any damage?

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Would that cause any damage?
No, it would be like revving the engine while in Park -- if that is why it was blinking. It could also be the transmission throwing a code, but your Check Engine light would also be on. The instrument cluster should have had a message as to why it was blinking too. If you did not see it, and cannot reproduce it, I don't know what more to worry about.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Don't leave your Fob out, keep a non functioning look alike to give him if he pressures you. By the time he figures that out, your real boss will be back ( I hope)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well he's actually kind of my boss, so it's hard to be very stern with him (even though I tried and he's an ass that doesn't listen). I say kind of because my actual boss is on maternity leave and he's supposed to take her spot until she's back.

About when he took it for a spin.. Basically he'd given me some work to do and saw my fob on the desk and asked to go look at the Jeep in the parking. I gave him the fob thinking he'd just go take a look and check it out (like other sane, polite people would), but that wasn't the case.

I should also add that women's rights here aren't as bad as people (or the media) make them seem. Especially in my country.
What country?

I spent many years in Kuwait, UAE, and Saudi. Very interesting countries from a historical and cultural point of view.
Sponsored