Sponsored

ACC and Standard Cruise Control

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
I have the Advanced Safety Group package on my 4Xe. What is the purpose of having Advanced Cruise Control and regular cruise control option available on the steering controls,? Shouldn't it be only ACC and nothing else if ACC is on the car as an option?

Thanks
Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I have the Advanced Safety Group package on my 4Xe. What is the purpose of having Advanced Cruise Control and regular cruise control option available on the steering controls,? Shouldn't it be only ACC and nothing else if ACC is on the car as an option?

Thanks
i agree with you, however, they still put both options. idk

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

Thanks
You can run regular CC without ACC. With ACC the system handles slowing down and braking in traffic. It works remarkably well. Unfortunately, when you drive in an area where every jackass feels like the roads are raceways. When someone cuts in front of you with ACC on your Jeep will brake until the preset, by you, distance is re-established, then it will accelerate again. It is a little disconcerting. Otherwise it worked really well. By the way, you have to turn on CC, then ACC for it to work.

Turniipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
On my Jeep you don't have to turn on CC for ACC to work, they have their own separate buttons. I almost never touch CC as I love ACC. However, as I live in Utah, I appreciate the two systems and having the two options. When snow/slush cover an ACC sensor you can still use CC without issue, whereas on my F150 it's one or the other, so if you're using ACC on the Ford and a sensor gets covered, you suddenly have no ACC nor CC without fussing with tons of menus to try and switch the system back to CC from ACC.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
It's meant as a backup. Lets say you slapped a 12 foot kayak on top of your jeep and it dangled upfront and stopped the system from seeing the road, you can still press the CC buttons and that wont need the sensors..

Also i agree the ACC is absolutely amazing! I used it when i drove back from Bryce Canyon to Arizona and was SO tired from hiking and camping.. the system made the journey back home very pleasant!

Also on my Jeep i can activate ACC without activating CC

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
On my Jeep you don't have to turn on CC for ACC to work, they have their own separate buttons. I almost never touch CC as I love ACC. However, as I live in Utah, I appreciate the two systems and having the two options. When snow/slush cover an ACC sensor you can still use CC without issue, whereas on my F150 it's one or the other, so if you're using ACC on the Ford and a sensor gets covered, you suddenly have no ACC nor CC without fussing with tons of menus to try and switch the system back to CC from ACC.
You’re right. I misspoke. You do have to set your speed with the CC control button, however.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Adaptive cruise is not meant for stop-and-go driving, winding roads, roads with steep hills, complex driving situations, or adverse conditions. Really you wouldn’t want any type of cruise control through any of these conditions, but depending on the situation, winding roads and steep hills would be areas where cruise control could be used. While ACC may function on winding roads and steep hills, you will see an increase in required driver input. The sensors only have a “view” straight in front of the vehicle…so hills can block the “view” of the sensors and winding roads can mean that the sensors are picking up vehicles in adjacent lanes or not detecting vehicles in your lane. These issues can lead to the Jeep either slamming the breaks on you, or worse…not hitting the breaks at all. They include CC so that you can safely operate the vehicle and avoid these issues with ACC.

My wife’s truck has ACC and we have had to turn it off several times because the nearby roads were curvy and it kept slamming the breaks for vehicles in other lanes. Yeah…it’s annoying…but it’s a driver assistance feature…it was never meant to be an autonomous function…

Just read owner’s manual (not the quick start guide) so that you are sure you understand the limitations of ACC, how it operates, and how to operate it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I thought this was really odd, too, and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to use the system overall, lol.

The ACC system is REALLY awesome in traffic. I still don't trust it 100%, so I keep my foot hovering over the brake pedal, but overall it works pretty well. My only complaint is that it's a bit rough, and needs to be smoothed out. It doesn't brake as gradually as I would prefer, and it's a bit heavy on the throttle when it's getting back up to speed. Combined, it's a bit of a rough ride, moreso if someone cuts in front of you, etc.

Hopefully they'll continue to tweak it with software updates?

OP
OP

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
I thought this was really odd, too, and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to use the system overall, lol.

The ACC system is REALLY awesome in traffic. I still don't trust it 100%, so I keep my foot hovering over the brake pedal, but overall it works pretty well. My only complaint is that it's a bit rough, and needs to be smoothed out. It doesn't brake as gradually as I would prefer, and it's a bit heavy on the throttle when it's getting back up to speed. Combined, it's a bit of a rough ride, moreso if someone cuts in front of you, etc.

Hopefully they'll continue to tweak it with software updates?

Yes the ACC on Jeep is way better than what I have on the Toyota Highlander. No lag and is precise.

I also had that initial scary moment, when I thought I had it an ACC but it was in regular cruise, and this thing not stopping at all!

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
Every other car I’ve driven puts the auto into the normal CC, if it has an Auto function. I drive in mountains on curve roads and haven’t had an issue. I guess seperating them out has a function, but the addition of complexity isn’t worth it in my opinion. It took me a bit to realize that there were two systems.

Sponsored

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Adaptive cruise is not meant for stop-and-go driving
I generally don't like ACC, but.... I have a found in severe traffic, clogged fwy type deal, it is absolutely amazing. I set the speed up to say 35 MPH, and then use the distance control to fine tune. As long as you don't completely stop for more than a few seconds, it handles everything but steering. I suggest trying this very carefully, but when you get it down, it takes the stress out of jammed highway traffic.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I also had that initial scary moment, when I thought I had it an ACC but it was in regular cruise, and this thing not stopping at all!
My Jeep has traditional cruise control, whereas my wife's CR-V has adaptive cruise control. Each system works as it should.

The ability to manually disable ACC, thus having just "dumb" cruise control, has no doubt contributed to any number of rear-end collisions when the at-fault driver wasn't cognizant that the following distance function -- the A in ACC -- was turned off. The technology is nice, but don't call it a driver aid...not when forgetfulness can lead to possibly life-altering collisions.

The upmarket trim level on the CR-V includes a color TFT dash display, with unambiguous graphics and text illustrating when ACC is on or off. Fair credit to Honda for the effort.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I generally don't like ACC, but.... I have a found in severe traffic, clogged fwy type deal, it is absolutely amazing. I set the speed up to say 35 MPH, and then use the distance control to fine tune. As long as you don't completely stop for more than a few seconds, it handles everything but steering. I suggest trying this very carefully, but when you get it down, it takes the stress out of jammed highway traffic.
Oh I completely agree…it does take a lot of the stress away. But as you said…you have to be careful using it in such a manner. As long as you are paying attention to what is happening around you and you understand that Jeep won’t hold the breaks for you, then you should be ok…people just have to understand the limitations of the system and how to use it properly.

And I hope I’m not coming across as a downer or “that guy”…I absolutely love ACC! My work is sometimes directly impacted by driver error so I always try to remind drivers that it’s their responsibility to understand their vehicle…unfortunately I see a lot crashes caused by people not knowing how their vehicle is supposed to function.
Sponsored