AC stops blowing cold when put in park

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Hey guys, I noticed that when I put my Wrangler in park with the AC on, it stops blowing cold. I have a 2019 4 cylinder with e-torque and I know the AC shuts off at a stop but it's weird to me that it completely stops blowing cold when put in park and the engine still on. I left my dogs inside the car with the AC running and the engine running as well to pick up some food and when I came back it was really hot inside. Is this a normal thing for a Wrangler or should I take it in to get it checked out?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have the 3.6 and the A/C blows cold all the time, except when the ESS would kick in. I would have it looked at. BTW, my wifes Toyota Highlander doesnt blow as cold when sitting still. The dealership says that was normal.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same setup. No, absolutely NOT normal. It needs to be fixed.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same setup as you (mines an unlimited though) and my AC still blows cold in Park. I'd get it looked at.

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Hey guys, I noticed that when I put my Wrangler in park with the AC on, it stops blowing cold. I have a 2019 4 cylinder with e-torque and I know the AC shuts off at a stop but it's weird to me that it completely stops blowing cold when put in park and the engine still on. I left my dogs inside the car with the AC running and the engine running as well to pick up some food and when I came back it was really hot inside. Is this a normal thing for a Wrangler or should I take it in to get it checked out?

Silly question but are the electric cooling fan coming on? Plenty loud on a JL so you would notice. Is the truck running hot? Could be a problem with airflow across the condenser if you have cold air while moving and nothing at a stop...

Sponsored

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Silly question but are the electric cooling fan coming on? Plenty loud on a JL so you would notice. Is the truck running hot? Could be a problem with airflow across the condenser if you have cold air while moving and nothing at a stop...
The fan is on but it's just not cold. It's weird because if I have it in drive with the ESS off and my foot on the brake, the AC blows ice cold. It's only when I have it on park that it stops cooling.

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
The fan is on but it's just not cold. It's weird because if I have it in drive with the ESS off and my foot on the brake, the AC blows ice cold. It's only when I have it on park that it stops cooling.
Not talking about the blower motor , talking about the cooling fan under the hood.However, If sitting in drive at a stop it continues to stay cold than I would say nevermind as airflow isnt the issue. Very strange .

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser GXR
I'm having the same issue with mine! It doesn't happen every single time. I used to think it's just way too hot outside and I might be stopped under the sun, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Pretty sure we should both get that checked out.

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
I'm having the same issue with mine! It doesn't happen every single time. I used to think it's just way too hot outside and I might be stopped under the sun, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Pretty sure we should both get that checked out.
Now that I know it's not normal I'll definitely be getting it checked out.

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that I know it's not normal I'll definitely be getting it checked out.
Please update this thread when you do.. In case I haven't gotten mine checked yet :angel:

Sponsored

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Just took it in. They said I had the temperature set at too high of a temperature (it was set at 72F), I told him that I tried it with the temperature set at 65F and it would still do the same thing. All he said was "well I drove a Wrangler home and it was cold". He told me to try it again and if it happens to give him a call. So basically they told me I was full of shit. I'm so pissed,they always treat me like this. This is the worst part about owning a jeep.

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just took it in. They said I had the temperature set at too high of a temperature (it was set at 72F), I told him that I tried it with the temperature set at 65F and it would still do the same thing. All he said was "well I drove a Wrangler home and it was cold". He told me to try it again and if it happens to give him a call. So basically they told me I was full of shit. I'm so pissed,they always treat me like this. This is the worst part about owning a jeep.
Ugh that really sucks.. I'm sure that's not the case with me as well, since I have the temperature set at its lowest and the blower usually on 3 or 4.

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Ugh that really sucks.. I'm sure that's not the case with me as well, since I have the temperature set at its lowest and the blower usually on 3 or 4.
Yeah I'll just take it straight to the dealership when it happens again. This shouldn't be happening especially when it's 110F outside.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That is way too hot. Set it to Max AC.

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
That is way too hot. Set it to Max AC.
It doesn't matter if I set it to max or any other temperature. It just acts as a fan with no cooling whatsoever. I think it has to do with the ESS system. When I drive the AC works perfectly fine, I get to my destination and the ESS system kicks in and turns the engine off, I put the car into park and the engine turns on again, but the AC keeps acting as if the engine is off and doesn't blow cold again until I turn the ignition off and on again.
Sponsored