First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Tired of searching so just going to ask. I live in South Florida where running the AC is a requirement 360 days a year and the other five are questionable. Saw a video on the 2.0L claiming there's not enough battery to run the AC at a stop light which gives me concern because part of the allure is the potential fuel saving sitting in traffic which often can last hours on my daily commute. any thoughts or literature that can be suggested. I've checked everywhere I'd think to look.
Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
If it’s warm outside and the a/c is on, then the auto start/stop won’t kill the engine because that would kill the a/c.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Not sure on the JL but on the Grand Cherokee if the AC is set to Max cool the engine wont shut off, or if the temp in the cabin exceeds the set temp the engine will restart, as well as, Engine won't shut down if the engine it too hot or not warmed up enough, or battery is low....Seatbelt not fasened etc.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
The extra battery will drive the blower motor, not the compressor, so it will just continue to circulate air but no longer cool it when ESS is active. There is a long list of conditions that inhibit ESS (listed in the manual), and having the AC set to max or having a large temperature differential between what is set and what the exterior temp is are just two that keep the engine running at stops to keep the AC going.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If it’s warm outside and the a/c is on, then the auto start/stop won’t kill the engine because that would kill the a/c.
That's what I feared. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Not sure on the JL but on the Grand Cherokee if the AC is set to Max cool the engine wont shut off, or if the temp in the cabin exceeds the set temp the engine will restart, as well as, Engine won't shut down if the engine it too hot or not warmed up enough, or battery is low....Seatbelt not fasened etc.
My AC is always blowing. Not necessarily on max but it's almost always over 80 here. Bummer.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The extra battery will drive the blower motor, not the compressor, so it will just continue to circulate air but no longer cool it when ESS is active. There is a long list of conditions that inhibit ESS (listed in the manual), and having the AC set to max or having a large temperature differential between what is set and what the exterior temp is are just two that keep the engine running at stops to keep the AC going.
I’m going to see about finding the manual online and getting a better grasp. Sounds like perhaps once interior cools to desired temperature the ESS may still engage for small period stoppage but prolong and temps rise overriding ESS and cranking the motor. Might still provide some benefit. Perhaps I’ll test drive a Grand Cherokee and see how that goes. Better yet. Rent one if I can find with appropriate power option.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I’m going to see about finding the manual online and getting a better grasp. Sounds like perhaps once interior cools to desired temperature the ESS may still engage for small period stoppage but prolong and temps rise overriding ESS and cranking the motor. Might still provide some benefit. Perhaps I’ll test drive a Grand Cherokee and see how that goes. Better yet. Rent one if I can find with appropriate power option.

I don't know what the temp thresholds are. But I can say the only times the ESS doesn't engage with relation to HVAC are when its very cold (below 20) and the cabin is under about 50, or if its hot (above 80) and the interior temp is at or above outside temp still. So basically the first or second stop lights I get out of my house ESS is inhibited, then works at every stop after that.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
That’s promising. :)

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I live in Phoenix and I have driven several vehicles with ESS as well as hybrid vehicles in the past 10 years. Basically the hotter it is, the more the engine is running when stopped. The mpg difference isn't major. I would expect the vehicle can maintain cabin temps pretty well in South Florida for the amount of time you are stopped. It's the longer duration stops when the engine usually kicks back on. I drove a hybrid about 80 miles for work yesterday and did not notice the engine come on at lights. It was over 100 for a good portion of that drive. Of course, the colder you keep the cabin, the more it will want to run. I've really only noticed it coming on more in the depths of summer. The 3.6 is going to do the same thing, only it won't drop off until you are stopped.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I live in Phoenix and I have driven several vehicles with ESS as well as hybrid vehicles in the past 10 years. Basically the hotter it is, the more the engine is running when stopped. The mpg difference isn't major. I would expect the vehicle can maintain cabin temps pretty well in South Florida for the amount of time you are stopped. It's the longer duration stops when the engine usually kicks back on. I drove a hybrid about 80 miles for work yesterday and did not notice the engine come on at lights. It was over 100 for a good portion of that drive. Of course, the colder you keep the cabin, the more it will want to run. I've really only noticed it coming on more in the depths of summer. The 3.6 is going to do the same thing, only it won't drop off until you are stopped.
Than that’s a reasonable expectation. I like my cabin temps around 68 which usually takes a few miles after first starting my vehicle. If the ESS shuts off at regular light stops than I can see that saving me money. I’ll live with the fact that full stop bumper to bumper will keep my engine running. Still expect that would burn less than the 3.6 so I’d expect some savings.

My Durango RT gets 20 @ 80, yet at a stop it just bleeds gas. Did an experiment early on to see how bad. Granted the 3.6 isn’t going to be this bad. As I neared the off ramp about a mile out, I reset my MPG and it showed 20, as I applied brakes and approached the first traffic signal it went up to 21. As I stat it quickly started dropping. By the second signal I was at 14. If only I could shut that engine off.

City driving for me is around 10 MPG and our streets are semi-highways where minimum speed is 45 yet so many lights that the constant stops just kill you. At 45 I’m getting 28-30. Amazing that on the go I’m at 28 or better on cruise control yet I’m actually averaging 10. Those stops are draining the life out of my gas card.

For me ESS might help enough it warrants either getting the 2.0L or waiting on a MY19 where the 3.6 gets BSG to assist with smoother restarts. I didn’t appreciate the way it felt on the Sahara. Seemed unfinished and sort of clunky. Like it wasn’t completely thought out. Something missing. My understanding the BSG is the missing link to ESS implimegtarions. I could be wrong and misinterpreting what I experienced.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have not driven a vehicle with a BSG, at least to my knowledge. I drove an F150 for awhile (another work vehicle) with ESS, it definitely isn't as smooth as a hybrid which used the electric motor to start and then brings the engine in. I'm interested how the BSG will work. The biggest thing I found for improving mpg is adjusting my driving in stop and go situations. Because of the constant feedback on my mgp ratings, and probably because I'm old enough I don't want to hurry everywhere for no damned reason, I'm less aggressive with braking and accelerating. I'll still punch the gas when I have to because people here don't know how to merge. I've noticed because we share pool vehicles that I nearly always beat the average mpg at the end of a trip by a significant margin. Coasting to lights helps a ton One other plan is to get a full set of hot head headliners for the hard top which I will use in the summer months, that way the radiant heat isn't causing me to crank the a/c as much to try and counterbalance.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m 54. My driving habits aren’t changing. Lol. I need all the help I can get and hopefully a working ESS solution will help.

The roof panels for my area are a must. From what I’ve researched.

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
That's what I feared. Thanks
It will kill the engine depending on what it senses. I had this happen the other day. A/C was on, came to a stop, the engine cut off and it was just blowing without condenser. I was still at a stop and as it started to warm up inside the Jeep it sensed it and started the motor back up to kick on the condenser and blow cold air before the light turned green.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
It will kill the engine depending on what it senses. I had this happen the other day. A/C was on, came to a stop, the engine cut off and it was just blowing without condenser. I was still at a stop and as it started to warm up inside the Jeep it sensed it and started the motor back up to kick on the condenser and blow cold air before the light turned green.
Have you compared fuel economy when the ESS is off? Not sure if the small amount of time off helps.
Sponsored