Sponsored

Absolutely HORRIBLE experience getting a JLU at a NJ Dealership. Need some advice

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Yep ! And that is exactly what I ended up doing.
Car dealers today are nuts with that shit. Appealing to low-information buyers with stars in their eyes.

If you say "I'm buying cash" after they hit you with the "monthly payment" hard sell, THEY walk out lol.

Outside of air travel, there are fewer things I hate more than car-buying.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
I just pickup a Willy's from Franklin Sussex auto mall in Sussex NJ. I got a fair deal for these times. I got it below invoice but only because I new more about their stock and what was coming in than they did. Once I showed them what they had coming and on thier other dealer ships sites then they would deal below invoice. They have about 4 or 5 4L turbos coming in. I took one of the last 3.6 that they had at any of their dealers.

I did have an issue with financing where about $3,000 was added in by the sales manager that I did not know about. And the way they have you sign the paper work on this desk top touch screen, when zoomed in you don't get to see all of the page so I missed it and the finance person thought I already knew about the charges. To compound this they had provided the contracts on a thumb drive and the thumb drive did not work. Once I got thumb drive replaced and seen the contracts, I find these added items I was not aware of. I was fit to be tied. I went to the deal ship loaded for bear and when I met the Finance person and explained my issue about the extra charges and before I even got a chance to lay in to them, he said I can fix that no problem I just have to call the bank and we will sign a new contract. So it took more trips back and forth to the dealership but they took care of the problem. I was affaid they were going to say too bad you already signed but they took care of it without any issue.

I had one other dealer tell me that they were only selling at MSRP on the Willy's because they can not keep them on the lot. When I question this, he made the comment well he wasn't up sell above MSRP, the salesman I was dealing with just shook his head. The salesman understood how ridiculous this was. The day I visited this dealer, a woman had just purchased the one I was interested in, just because of the looks of the Willy's. I also knew they had another one in transit that I liked the color of but they did not want to move on price so I walked.
HAHA Yea every dealer that ells me "oh we cant go below MSRP, we usually sell above MSRP", I tell them no problem, if you can actually get idiots that come in to pay MORE than the sticker, they should sell to them

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Price.
I waited a long time in a ford dealership. Found a copy of a book titled "Negotiating the Price". Ford right on the cover. It was salesman's training. This was long ago. I was shopping for a Bronco when they were huge.

First requirement was to get the buyer's name and phone number so they could be drawn back if they walked. Buyer's most valuable tool? Walking.

One tactic in the book was changing from a 3 year loan to a longer loan. This reduced the monthly pay amount they showed the customer.

When the customer resisted they suggested the sales person offer an alternative vehicle that didn't have the features that the buyer wanted....4 cylinder engine instead of 6, or 8....a used vehicle instead of new.

Closing? They suggested asking a string of questions that would get a yes answer. Then close.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
So I went to look at a JLU Willys...$44k MSRP sticker, and a Gladiator Sport S with Max tow and some other features that had a sticker of $48k and was then discounted to $46k,Great! I have $8k left in my car lease that I was wanting to roll into either car.
And the nightmare starts

The salesman refused to talk total price. He stated, "we really only discuss by monthly payments, not the price". What kind of shit is that? I never even said if I preferred to lease or finance, so how can you possibly give me any number. He gave me the option of a 60 mo. lease option they have. In my mind I'm thinking great as I plan to buy this car out, the lease length/miles is irrelevant.

When I built these cars on Jeep's site, my "estimated lease" for 36 mo. was around ~400. So I was thinking to be paying $520-$550 nothing down over a 60 mo. lease including my $133 a mo. from my current lease ($8k / 60 months).

This guy after 5 minutes comes back and tells me that the price for the Gladiator would be $675, and the Willys would be...get this....$693!!!! AND on top of that, he wanted me to put down $2000, AND the 1st month + inceptions.

He keeps telling me that I have to be charged tax and interest on the lease I would be rolling in and is attempting to add it to the total price of the car! Why would I be paying interest and tax on this as if I were to pay it off fully like I'm sure they are, I wouldn't be charged anything more than the $7800 besides the disposition fee of $375.

I literally started laughing in his face. If you remove my $133 a month, he was attempting to charge me $560 a mo. for the lease AND put $2000 down! I walked the hell out of the door as I was telling him he can go find another idiot to pay a total of ~$35,600 for a 60 mo. lease on an MSRP of $44k while we haven't even discussed the car price even.
Thats nuts! Its funny cause i have a guy at the dealership who told me to build one and wait for it cause i save money on itneven if the exact same one is on the lot. Sure enough, fully loaded Willys for 44k with only a 5 week wait. would habe been 48k from lot . Saving 4k in 5 weeks, totally worth it.

Maybe try that?

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I am waiting on a JLU Willys and was thinking about doing the same thing till I started to dig into the numbers more.

Say you are looking at a MSRP of 45k and get them down to 40k sale price
on a 36 month lease/12000 miles with a 70% residual you're at $31,500
say you put down 2k for fees taxes etc with a $400 month payment
total lease cost for 3 years is 16k and your buyout would be 31.5k

buyout 60 month @4.29% 0 down is $628 a month
total cost $37,711

53711 over 92 months combined with lease and buyout after

Finance it off the bat with 2k down 3.9% 72 months for $630
total cost $48k

you save 6k and pay it off 20 months earlier with the same payment you'll have after the lease. Also your payments will go up after the lease wich will be hard to swallow after getting used to the lower monthly cost.

I may be off and if i am please let me know if anyone wants to chime in.
70% residual is unrealistic. 65-68% after 3 years on that trim is more realistic.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Setting foot on a dealers lot should be for 2 things:
1. Do the paperwork for what was already negotiated via email.
2. Pick up the vehicle

We're 20 years into a new century and people are still buying cars like it's 1985. I bought both of my Jeeps several % below invoice and in both cases the first time I set foot on the lot was to place the order. Second time was to take delivery.

Get a cheap email quote from one of the big volume dealers with the exact color and features and reference that when you email the internet managers of a dozen or so dealers within an hour or two of your location. Someone will bite on a price match or close and then you can avoid the sleaze, frustration, and high blood pressure.

If your region is hopeless and no one will do the deal. Get yourself a cheap plane ticket to the volume dealer and enjoy a mini vacation on the drive back with the thousands you just saved.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I went to look at a JLU Willys...$44k MSRP sticker, and a Gladiator Sport S with Max tow and some other features that had a sticker of $48k and was then discounted to $46k,Great! I have $8k left in my car lease that I was wanting to roll into either car.
And the nightmare starts

The salesman refused to talk total price. He stated, "we really only discuss by monthly payments, not the price". What kind of shit is that? I never even said if I preferred to lease or finance, so how can you possibly give me any number. He gave me the option of a 60 mo. lease option they have. In my mind I'm thinking great as I plan to buy this car out, the lease length/miles is irrelevant.

When I built these cars on Jeep's site, my "estimated lease" for 36 mo. was around ~400. So I was thinking to be paying $520-$550 nothing down over a 60 mo. lease including my $133 a mo. from my current lease ($8k / 60 months).

This guy after 5 minutes comes back and tells me that the price for the Gladiator would be $675, and the Willys would be...get this....$693!!!! AND on top of that, he wanted me to put down $2000, AND the 1st month + inceptions.

He keeps telling me that I have to be charged tax and interest on the lease I would be rolling in and is attempting to add it to the total price of the car! Why would I be paying interest and tax on this as if I were to pay it off fully like I'm sure they are, I wouldn't be charged anything more than the $7800 besides the disposition fee of $375.

I literally started laughing in his face. If you remove my $133 a month, he was attempting to charge me $560 a mo. for the lease AND put $2000 down! I walked the hell out of the door as I was telling him he can go find another idiot to pay a total of ~$35,600 for a 60 mo. lease on an MSRP of $44k while we haven't even discussed the car price even.
Unfortunately, in my experience EVERY Jeep dealer I have dealt with in the last 10 years or so have been the most undesirable people who remind me of used car dealers trying to rip you off.
Everything from changing price after agreeing on a factory order price, to the finance manager messing up the paperwork and the service department. I don't know why the Jeep dealerships are this way. May be just my experience, but it is a huge turn off to buying another Jeep or recommending one to a friend.

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
Unfortunately, in my experience EVERY Jeep dealer I have dealt with in the last 10 years or so have been the most undesirable people who remind me of used car dealers trying to rip you off.
Everything from changing price after agreeing on a factory order price, to the finance manager messing up the paperwork and the service department. I don't know why the Jeep dealerships are this way. May be just my experience, but it is a huge turn off to buying another Jeep or recommending one to a friend.
Right?!?!? I got so tired of going through about 5 dealers with the same garbage that it put me off even wanting one anymore.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Setting foot on a dealers lot should be for 2 things:
1. Do the paperwork for what was already negotiated via email.
2. Pick up the vehicle

We're 20 years into a new century and people are still buying cars like it's 1985. I bought both of my Jeeps several % below invoice and in both cases the first time I set foot on the lot was to place the order. Second time was to take delivery.

Get a cheap email quote from one of the big volume dealers with the exact color and features and reference that when you email the internet managers of a dozen or so dealers within an hour or two of your location. Someone will bite on a price match or close and then you can avoid the sleaze, frustration, and high blood pressure.

If your region is hopeless and no one will do the deal. Get yourself a cheap plane ticket to the volume dealer and enjoy a mini vacation on the drive back with the thousands you just saved.

I totally agree, unfortunately the problem in NJ especially is trade in value.....if I buy outright then your post is right on the money but with trade in it is more about the difference in trade in value and cost for vehicle that you are buying.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Ya man you feel my pain . I checked that site, and they too have an estimated lease or $660 for a 45k Gladiator and like 700 for a 49k wrangler. What is thisssssss
That's crazy.

I pay under $500 before taxes for my $60k JLUR and had no cap cost reduction. I could have gotten a Sport S if I really wanted for somewhere in the low $200's. Sure the market is a bit different now, but only a few percentage points at most.

Sounds like ya'll have it pretty bad there in NJ. It's not great here, but way better than there.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Mind PMing me your exact deal so I can shop it around these morons?
Sure, but it's in AZ and they are more like 7% off now instead of 13% off. Sadly... lol. But that is still way better than what you're getting. Honestly you're better off going to that other dealer in MD. Way closer, you could drive it back or have it shipped. Really no reason to go to AZ given your distance when you could go to ID or MD, which would be better than what my sales guy here would give you.

Back when I got my '19, I ordered direct through the GM because the sales guy was literally on day #1, and I just was up front. I could easily go to Vegas and get 12-13% off, and didn't mind flying in, landing, and driving home. So he signed off on it. It was literally a ten minute conversation -- my order was in the next morning.

I wanted a 2 door (custom order) this time around for the wife when my lease was up, but they're more like 7% off now due to more demand and less supply. I get that. They were totally up front and honest. I said I'd wait until closer to the end of the year and then go from there (wife's BMW lease is up in Dec).

Overall, you're probably wasting your time if they're not budging. Some dealers just rather sell to morons and literally will avoid anyone else. That is literally their business model. For every informed consumer walking in, they probably have 10 others that are not. They view you as a literal waste of time and money. Other dealers are volume dealers and will gladly sell at a loss and make it up with the money they get for hitting numbers, used cars, and service (and often times unfortunately, dealer addons). Also regional kick backs vary from time to time. I had it in writing that my order would be delivered to me free of anything added outside of the factory.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Right?!?!? I got so tired of going through about 5 dealers with the same garbage that it put me off even wanting one anymore.
I've never had this kind of experience with any other brand. It must be the sales culture for FCA products. I've bought Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and even Kia, but they've never been as bad as FCA dealerships. I've seen this for all FCA brands when shopping for Dodge, Fiat, and Jeep.
It's too bad FCA is so much lacking in the customer service department. Once they get your money they don't even want to see you anymore :angry:
Sponsored