Sponsored

ABS light and Traction light on after hitting pot hole

SCrubicon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2022 F250 KR
Was driving today and hit a huge pothole. After that my ABS light, traction control light, and service 4wd light came on. Thoughts? Do I need to take it to the dealer?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Was driving today and hit a huge pothole. After that my ABS light, traction control light, and service 4wd light came on. Thoughts? Do I need to take it to the dealer?
Most likely a wheel speed sensor gone bad. Yes, time for a trip to dealer.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Most likely a wheel speed sensor gone bad. Yes, time for a trip to dealer.
Not Necessarily. I had a wheel speed sensor go out on my JK and was able to purchase the sensor and swap out myself. 10-minute job. Just be careful not to break the plastic clips/keepers. I’d check out a YouTube video first to make sure I was unlocking the clips correctly.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not Necessarily. I had a wheel speed sensor go out on my JK and was able to purchase the sensor and swap out myself. 10-minute job. Just be careful not to break the plastic clips/keepers. I’d check out a YouTube video first to make sure I was unlocking the clips correctly.
The OP has a 2019 that’s likely still under warranty. Why not have the dealer take care of it?

Of course someone can do it themselves, but in this instance the OP shouldn’t have to pay for anything.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@SCrubicon23

And when you take your JLU to the stealership, do not mention the pot hole.....hitting a "huge pot hole." ....................They / the Tech does not need to know that tidbit in order to access the problem and fix same under warranty.

Just say you were driving down a side street and the warning lights came on...

Your providing the info/huge pot hole story..... may just prompt the stealership into saying the fix is on your dime.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I’m pretty sure the service light means something needs service? I’d do the service thing but that’s just me!

• Sad
Reactions: GtX

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Most likely a wheel speed sensor. Could also be a bent or pushed in pin in the wheel speed sensor plug. And the rear seems to be more likely then the front.

OP
OP
SCrubicon23

SCrubicon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2022 F250 KR
I just started it after it’s been off for a few hours and all lights are off now. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I don’t know. I’ll keep watching and make sure nothing is off. May check the speed sensor also. If I go to the dealership, I definitely won’t be mentioning the pothole. Thanks

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Similar situation as yours and I had a CEL that said passenger rear speed sensor (can't remember the exact code). So, read online about getting debris in the tone ring area that could corrupt the signal. I was out wheeling and went through some axle deep water and sandy wash areas. I took everything apart, didn't notice anything specific (mud/rock/sand/moss, etc) that could have been stuck in there. There wasn't any damage to the tone ring or the speed sensor, so I put it all back together and then cleared the CEL. Went for a drive and it has never come back on. I guess it's possible there was something in there, but there wasn't any evidence. Gotta love electrical gremlins.
Sponsored