ABS and other dash lights after Dynatrac axle swap

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Currently at a loss, did a XD60/60 swap on my 392 and am currently working out the bugs. Have almost all the dash lights currently lit up. Axles were manufactured in 2019 but doubt that’s the issue. Pulled about 15 codes ranging from ABS to TCM to PTS codes and more. A bunch make zero sense but the ones that I’m able to look up reference the left rear and right rear wheel speed sensors.

Pulled all the sensors today and cleaned them off, the front 2 were dirty and back 2 were fine. Messaged with @beckbuilt some and he suggested swapping around the bushing position that the rear sensors bolt into. Did that, cleared the codes with my Tazer and they all came back within 1/4 mile.

I know it’s related to a wheel speed sensor issue because each time I clear the codes with my Tazer it takes between 1/8 and 1/4 mile for my speedometer to start working again. While I’m driving with it reading “0” mph the dash is happy and all is well. Once it starts reading again my dash lights up again.

I know there’s teething issues with swaps like this but I don’t have any Jeep shops around me that I trust and I refuse to deal with my idiotic local dealer. Looking for any tips or suggestions. I have a list of all the codes I can publish if that would help, there’s quite a lot.

Jeep Wrangler JL ABS and other dash lights after Dynatrac axle swap 98A59923-E35D-4890-8692-24213A3E97A0

Jeep Wrangler JL ABS and other dash lights after Dynatrac axle swap 8F8B2835-E91D-484C-BF33-4660B1B76E4F

Bushing reversed as @beckbuilt suggested…no change
Jeep Wrangler JL ABS and other dash lights after Dynatrac axle swap 21C85D13-D1E5-4FC1-AA46-39336ED5A0FD
Sponsored

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Finally getting my local dealer master tech to take a look at it this Wednesday after they close. Thankfully he’s doing it under the table! Gonna hook his scanner up and go for a drive to see if we can track down the ABS faults. I’m still 99% convinced it’s a wheel speed sensor issue. I’ll post an update when I know more. Wired up the lockers today and thank God those lights went out. First thing to go right on this swap so far!

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Stupid question, did you update new gear ratio in the computer?

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Stupid question, did you update new gear ratio in the computer?
Yep. Triple checked I did too. Tire size is correct, speedometer is dead on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Finally got around to swapping wheel speed sensors, been a busy few weeks. Drumroll please…did not fix the problem 🤦‍♂️ Looking at swapping tone rings now. Beyond ridiculous that I have to do this on a “premium” product. Going to run by the dealer again next week to have the tech stick his computer back on it to see if we can get the time rings to read at all. But I’m 99% sure now I have either the wrong tone rings or the position on the axle is off.

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
What does Dynatrac have to say about this?
Not a whole lot from the technical perspective. Told them my issues, told them the front sensors are reading because my speedometer does work and that I replaced the rear wheel speed sensors and reset the codes with no change. They’re going to send me new tone rings but didn’t give me any air gap specs, etc. I might not have to swap tone rings I may need to adjust the air gap but still need to yank the axles down regardless.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not a whole lot from the technical perspective. Told them my issues, told them the front sensors are reading because my speedometer does work and that I replaced the rear wheel speed sensors and reset the codes with no change. They’re going to send me new tone rings but didn’t give me any air gap specs, etc. I might not have to swap tone rings I may need to adjust the air gap but still need to yank the axles down regardless.
So seems like they’re working with you. You’re installing new axles on a highly computerized vehicle. You’re gonna have headaches with any manufacturer, including Dana. You’ll get it sorted and you’ll love them.

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
So seems like they’re working with you. You’re installing new axles on a highly computerized vehicle. You’re gonna have headaches with any manufacturer, including Dana. You’ll get it sorted and you’ll love them.
I get that, it’s this + the other issues that are annoying for the $ spent. I will say I’m becoming intimately familiar with the workings of my Jeep which is a plus I guess. I know I’ll get it worked out I’m just ready to quit messing with it so I can enjoy it on the trails again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Finally got to look at it with my local dealer master tech that’s helping me out after hours for free…really cool guy! So we pulled the bolt for the speed sensor and couldn’t get a reading while I spun the wheel moving the sensor in and out…depth is not the issue. So then we pulled the centering bushing out of the flange and we were finally able to get a reading but only when we pushed the sensor to the very front of the sensor hole (as close to the axle tube as we could push it). However, there was no way to bolt it up in that position…and using the centering bushing was out of the question 🙃 So that leads me to think that my wheel flanges were machined wrong because I’m having this issue on both rear wheels. Pretty annoying, hopefully Dynatrac will send me new wheel flanges and that will be the end of it.

TLDR version; Wheel sensor holes are in the wrong spot for them to get a good tone ring reading. Arrow on below pic shows which way we had to hold the sensor to get any kind of reading.

Jeep Wrangler JL ABS and other dash lights after Dynatrac axle swap DB0AA0E2-F7B5-43C6-AAA7-DA69C72E9501

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Interesting...I just had the Dnatrac XD60 installed in the rear of my JLU Sport S. I'm sure the electronics are more complicated on the 392, but so far I haven't had any issues. I need to flash the computer still (regeared), but no issues. I'm very impressed with how beefy it is!!
When I had the front regeared 2 years ago that shop didn't put the wheel speed sensor clip back on correctly and it got pinched and messed up so many things!! So I feel your pain a bit. Hope you and the guys at Dynatrac can get it sorted out!

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Interesting...I just had the Dnatrac XD60 installed in the rear of my JLU Sport S. I'm sure the electronics are more complicated on the 392, but so far I haven't had any issues. I need to flash the computer still (regeared), but no issues. I'm very impressed with how beefy it is!!
When I had the front regeared 2 years ago that shop didn't put the wheel speed sensor clip back on correctly and it got pinched and messed up so many things!! So I feel your pain a bit. Hope you and the guys at Dynatrac can get it sorted out!
Glad yours are working well! Planning on ripping down one side tomorrow so I can send Dynatrac some pictures. The relationship between the tone ring and sensor is definitely off. Hope to get it squared away soon, honestly haven’t been driving it much due to the issues I’m having.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
Glad yours are working well! Planning on ripping down one side tomorrow so I can send Dynatrac some pictures. The relationship between the tone ring and sensor is definitely off. Hope to get it squared away soon, honestly haven’t been driving it much due to the issues I’m having.
Did you get the Dynatrac axle issues sorted out on your 392?

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Did you get the Dynatrac axle issues sorted out on your 392?
Not yet. Took Dynatrac a month to find and build a solution. They ended up machining new rear hubs with what I assume is a larger tone ring (they didn’t tell me what the issue was or what the “solution” was). The hubs finally shipped out this past Thursday. Hopefully I’ll be able to have them installed by next weekend.
Sponsored