Sponsored

About to pull the trigger on this lift kit. Need advice/opinions.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Icon stage 3 - 2.5" lift for my JLU Sahara.
Will be running 285/75R17s.
I'm afraid the tires might be a bit small for this lift since I'll be netting 3"+ in the front and 2"+ in the rear. Any thoughts?
Also I'll be doing a lot of long distance camping road trips (80% road, 20% trails)
Current vehicle load is nearing 600lbs above stock
I'm also getting 10% off from my local dealer so its been very tempting

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...s-18-up-jeep-jl-25-stage-3-suspension-system/

Y'all think this is worth it?

Jeep Wrangler JL About to pull the trigger on this lift kit. Need advice/opinions. 1594212532486
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Icon stage 3 - 2.5" lift for my JLU Sahara.
Will be running 285/75R17s.
I'm afraid the tires might be a bit small for this lift since I'll be netting 3"+ in the front and 2"+ in the rear. Any thoughts?
Also I'll be doing a lot of long distance camping road trips (80% road, 20% trails)
Current vehicle load is nearing 600lbs above stock
I'm also getting 10% off from my local dealer so its been very tempting

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...s-18-up-jeep-jl-25-stage-3-suspension-system/

Y'all think this is worth it?

Jeep Wrangler JL About to pull the trigger on this lift kit. Need advice/opinions. 1594212532486
For that price I’d like to see adjustable lcas. Not a fan of fixed lcas. Since most lifts net you more than advertised height on sport and Sahara, the fixed arms don’t give you the opportunity to dial in more caster if you want/need it. IMHO , you can get RK or MC lifts for near same money, and have a better kit on your rig. But it’s just an opinion, maybe with all your weight you will net exactly 2.5” and all will be well.

OP
OP

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For that price I’d like to see adjustable lcas. Not a fan of fixed lcas. Since most lifts net you more than advertised height on sport and Sahara, the fixed arms don’t give you the opportunity to dial in more caster if you want/need it. IMHO , you can get RK or MC lifts for near same money, and have a better kit on your rig. But it’s just an opinion, maybe with all your weight you will net exactly 2.5” and all will be well.
Thank you. In regards to weight, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Even though I am on a sahara, the amount of weight currently on stock has pushed it down by 1.5 inches in the front and a whole inch in the rear.

Do you think small 285/75R17 (33.8 inches) will be just nice for this type of lift or still a bit small?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. In regards to weight, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Even though I am on a sahara, the amount of weight currently on stock has pushed it down by 1.5 inches in the front and a whole inch in the rear.

Do you think small 285/75R17 (33.8 inches) will be just nice for this type of lift or still a bit small?
I think 35s would look sweet on there. Depending on the tire they run an inch or so under said size, so you’d still be around 34” on the Jeep.

OP
OP

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think 35s would look sweet on there. Depending on the tire they run an inch or so under said size, so you’d still be around 34” on the Jeep.
I'm running nitto ridge grapplers. I heard they size larger than most other manufacturers.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I haven’t installed an icon and honestly don’t think I ever will. That kit is missing a bunch and for the price point, it shouldn’t be.

If youre dead set staying with them, I’d consider going 2.5” front and 3.5” rear springs to compensate for the heavier load. We have done that with a MC lift that the customer uses to haul his camper around with. Worked out great.

If you came to me for your build, it point you to a MC game changer with then2.5/3.5 coils and rocksport shocks

brett

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running nitto ridge grapplers. I heard they size larger than most other manufacturers.
That’s what I’m running in a 37 and it measures 35.75” on the Jeep at 30 psi.

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
just a thought. Check out Rusty's Offload. For $1100 you get there performance kit (without shocks) and choice of 2 or 3 inch springs (made in Eibach factory in California) plus :

KIT INCLUDES:

• Front Progressive-Rate Coil Springs
  • Rear Progressive-Rate Coil Springs
  • Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Front Track Bar
  • Adjustable Rear Track Bar
  • Front Track Bar Frame Mount Brace
  • Front and Rear Extended Sway Bar Links
  • Front Brake Line Extension Brackets
  • Front Lower Coil Spring Isolators
Then you have a $1000 bucks to pick what shocks you want to run and a MUCH more adjustable kit.

Im not a Rusty's rep just a happy customer!!!!

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...con/rustys-jl-wrangler-2-performance-kit.html

OP
OP

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t installed an icon and honestly don’t think I ever will. That kit is missing a bunch and for the price point, it shouldn’t be.

If youre dead set staying with them, I’d consider going 2.5” front and 3.5” rear springs to compensate for the heavier load. We have done that with a MC lift that the customer uses to haul his camper around with. Worked out great.

If you came to me for your build, it point you to a MC game changer with then2.5/3.5 coils and rocksport shocks

brett
I was looking into metalcloak as well but unfortunately, none of the dealers around me does installation for brands they don't carry and I live in a condo which makes it impossible to do self installation. If I lived near you, I would 100% come to you for installation. :(

OP
OP

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
just a thought. Check out Rusty's Offload. For $1100 you get there performance kit (without shocks) and choice of 2 or 3 inch springs (made in Eibach factory in California) plus :

KIT INCLUDES:

• Front Progressive-Rate Coil Springs
  • Rear Progressive-Rate Coil Springs
  • Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Front Track Bar
  • Adjustable Rear Track Bar
  • Front Track Bar Frame Mount Brace
  • Front and Rear Extended Sway Bar Links
  • Front Brake Line Extension Brackets
  • Front Lower Coil Spring Isolators
Then you have a $1000 bucks to pick what shocks you want to run and a MUCH more adjustable kit.

Im not a Rusty's rep just a happy customer!!!!

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...con/rustys-jl-wrangler-2-performance-kit.html
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into it now. Hows the springs hold up to heavy loaded rigs? This is my #1 concern.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....Do you think small 285/75R17 (33.8 inches) will be just nice for this type of lift or still a bit small?
The 34's will be fine. I'm running the same size with a 2" lift. If you're only going 1/2" higher I don't see it being a noticeable difference with the tires at all.

For reference, my Sahara with 285/75/17 and a 2" lift:

Jeep Wrangler JL About to pull the trigger on this lift kit. Need advice/opinions. 19-5-4-3-resize-

Jeep Wrangler JL About to pull the trigger on this lift kit. Need advice/opinions. 19-7-19-9-resize-

OP
OP

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The 34's will be fine. I'm running the same size with a 2" lift. If you're only going 1/2" higher I don't see it being a noticeable difference with the tires at all.

For reference, my Sahara with 285/75/17 and a 2" lift:

19-5-4-3-resize-jpg.jpg

19-7-19-9-resize-jpg.jpg
Thank you for the pictures! Your Sahara looks gorgeous! Especially with the accented tow hooks on the front. Where'd you get that hood decal by the way? I was looking for that too. :)

May I ask what type of 2 inch lift are you running? Brand?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks. I wanted to accent the hooks, but didn't want to go with red since Rubicons all have red (I wanted something different than the crowd).

The lift is from Daystar. Not the most popular lift since it doesn't replace springs/struts, but that's exactly what I wanted. I actually LIKE the stock ride and wanted to retain it. Install was a breeze (I have a thread on it), and it came with longer LCA's to retain the proper caster angle, which was another one of the things I wanted the lift to do.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into it now. Hows the springs hold up to heavy loaded rigs? This is my #1 concern.
They have great customer service at Rusty's I would call them up and ask any questions . I spoke to like 8 manufacturers before I bought my lift! (i know that is considered OCD but thats me).

I do run a hard top (8 months of the year) steel bumpers (factory) warn winch plate and winch and plenty of recovery gear for getting stuck in the mud and snow.

20200506_182211.jpg
Sponsored