Sponsored

About to pull the trigger on a Rubicon, any reasons why I shouldn't?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Sport = I can’t afford the Sahara or Rubicon, but still want a Jeep or I have DEEP pockets to build a serious off-road machine. Regardless, a sport is still a wrangler and will take you places, with proper skill, that other 4x4 wish they could go.

Sahara = mostly mall crawl and I want all the bells and whistles. Still a very capable 4x4!

Rubicon = I want the most capable production 4x4 ever built and the option to have all the bells and whistles.

If you look at standard features on Sahara and Rubicon they are pretty similar and also have most of the same options.
Sponsored

SuperSixOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Techie
Ummmm, a good reason. Ah! heres one, the 2019 Jeep Rubicon with a turbodiesel V-6 option? A Rubicon with a plug-in hybrid powertrain option by 2020.

There you go. 2 really great reasons! NOT to pull the trigger.

Decisions, decisions.:bow:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know that the price is that close between a Sahara and Rubi. If you put the exact same options on both, the Rubi will still come out $1,000s more.

Anyway we bought a Sahara and had done NO research first. If we had it to do again we'd get the Rubi because we have fallen love with offroading. We have gone and put Rubi rims/tires, front bumper that can handle a winch, a winch and 2" lift on it already because we offroad whenever we get the chance.
The Rubi would have been more expensive but the only thing I would have needed to do is put on a winch, maybe the 2" lift. But I put those on for $1000s less.
With the Rubi you get the locking diffs and sway bar disconnects and that is a HUGE difference if you offroad at all. I will be getting sway bar disconnect links and possibly throwing a locker in the rear of the Sahara and we will be running it out to Moab next year.
The reality is about 75% of Jeeps mall crawl no matter how tough they look. You need to decide what you want to do with it off road (if at all), how much you want to mod it (if at all) and then go from there. If you want to mall crawl and you are vein then get the Rubi :) lol

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Was looking at the Sport and Sahara originally. Sport is most wallet friendly, but it gets expensive with options. I like the way the Sahara drives, but for almost the same price, you can get a Rubicon which is in every respect better off-road than the former. Is sacrificing the on-street ride quality worth it if I want to do the occasional wheeling? What is the % of clubs that run Rubicons vs Sahara?
I had a Sport S, then had buyers remorse and got a 2 door Rubicon. I wouldn't say that you are sacrificing much on-street ride quality. That, or if there is much of a difference you quickly get used to it.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Was looking at the Sport and Sahara originally. Sport is most wallet friendly, but it gets expensive with options. I like the way the Sahara drives, but for almost the same price, you can get a Rubicon which is in every respect better off-road than the former. Is sacrificing the on-street ride quality worth it if I want to do the occasional wheeling? What is the % of clubs that run Rubicons vs Sahara?
Good luck getting a deal in the surrounding area of Charlotte

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Three obvious points : (1) Since you bring up your wallet , the size of your wallet is paramount as in : nothing else matters ; (2) If your wallet is self-filling up all the time , then the Rubicon is the obvious choice ; (3) If the wallet is limited , and you still want a Jeep , the Sport is more healthy fun than any other vehicle brand out there . Myself , I could barely afford a stock Sport , and I am very happy to have it .
Start like your buying a Sahara, leave the Charlotte, look at the links for the best dealers, get 6.5-7% off the INVOICE price (14-15% off MSRP) and now you can buy a loaded Rubicon for the same price with the savings from going to one of the discount dealers

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Logic is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands and you open yourself up to criticism as soon as you use it.
Logic is a very good thing in rascal hands and you are chuffed when you use it .

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Ummmm, a good reason. Ah! heres one, the 2019 Jeep Rubicon with a turbodiesel V-6 option? A Rubicon with a plug-in hybrid powertrain option by 2020.

There you go. 2 really great reasons! NOT to pull the trigger.

Decisions, decisions.:bow:
Both are interesting options if someone wants to wait it out.

Also is Super 6-1 a reference to the Black Hawk that went down in Mogadishu?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had a Sport S, then had buyers remorse and got a 2 door Rubicon. I wouldn't say that you are sacrificing much on-street ride quality. That, or if there is much of a difference you quickly get used to it.
I drove a Sport, Sahara, Rubicon. All on paved city streets and highway. I agree, not much sacrifice in terms of ride quality. It's very subjective but I actually preferred the Rubicon's firmer spring rates and the K02s. I actually thought the Rubicon was quieter too.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if people didn't buy Rubicons, there wouldn't be an endless supply of brand new suspensions (even axles) and wheel/tire takeoffs for us sport owners to upgrade with for pennies on the dollar. Thanks Rubicon owners! :like:

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Well, if people didn't buy Rubicons, there wouldn't be an endless supply of brand new suspensions (even axles) and wheel/tire takeoffs for us sport owners to upgrade with for pennies on the dollar. Thanks Rubicon owners! :like:
Pennies on the dollar? How's that?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Get what ever you want, as long as it is in the budget. I love my Rubicon.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Get a vehicle that reflects how you intend to use it. And, one that you love the looks of.

My personal choice is a Moab, it has the looks of a rubicon, but since I have no desire to climb rocks I don’t want the extra weight, the lower gearing of the R. I also believe due to lower gearing that a rubicon will suffer in fuel mileage.
Sponsored