First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
I wonder how the 2.0 turbo is going to perform without the BSG? The generator was designed to help deliver a fair amount of torque under 1500 rpm. With that now absent in the Rubicon and Sport offerings, I’m guessing it will feel like a big disappointment compared to having the BSG. But, who knows, right?

I wish FCA would publish the specs on the 2.0 turbo without BSG.
Maybe the EPA has not done their final take on the testing ? But, for me I see the 2.0L as still a TURBO and still Fuel Injected - 2 add-ons I would rather not have . . . so it's a 3.6L for me - just don't know if its in a JLU or JT ?? And so, Along with those wonderings, there is that darn ESS "delinquent" pint sized #2-battery now, without the 48V system ! Thus the start / stop inconsistencies will probably plague the 2.0L as well . . . unless they up the anti on the #2 battery . It has a tendency to loose its full charge - at least the case in my '16 WK2 - and thus the ESS is worthless (won't work) . Seems you have to keep driving and driving, keeping the battery at peak charge in order for any consistency . If you don' use you vehicle everyday and some ON the HWY. you'll never achieve optimum #2 battery voltage . Seems like if I were a college educated Engineer THAT would be my 1st inclination of a FIX, but no, jeep would rather play around with more complex "things" -- that's PROGRESS !

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
The specs for 2.0 w/o BSG will be the exact same as 2.0 w/ BSG.
The engine design specs should be the same but the performance specs should look quite differently. The BSG should add some very noticeable torque, which should produce a better 0-60mph time as well as produce a little better gas mileage.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I wonder if it'll come back into the line up. Seems weird to me they dropped BSG on the 2.0. After owning it, I would not order a Wrangler without it. Granted, I'm leasing, so I don't have to really worry about long term reliability, and plan to get another one after the 48 month lease is up anyway. Hopefully by then there will be a PHEV option.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
But, for me I see the 2.0L as still a TURBO and still Fuel Injected - 2 add-ons I would rather not have . . . so it's a 3.6L for me
I know you mean direct injection, but for a second I imagined you being absolutely positive that the 3.6 had a carburetor and chuckled. :D

Like you, I'm probably going with a 3.6. The 2.0T just sounds like a downgrade on paper. If I were to get a Sahara, I'd be all over that 3.6 BSG though. The stories I've read here about ESS make it sound like a terrible glitchy system that you're better off disabling. 99% of the time I drive my jeep I'm in city traffic, so I'd really make use of the BSG at red lights lol.

I wish they'd stop half-assing things and make a compelling hybrid or EV already. But everyone except Tesla grumbles and sees them as "pesky compliance vehicles" or something along those lines. Which is too bad. Instant torque is pretty darn sweet. I'd claim Tesla was eating their breakfast lol. I keep seeing more and more of them in the parking lot at work because they're fun to drive, cool looking, and pretty cheap to operate.

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The engine design specs should be the same but the performance specs should look quite differently. The BSG should add some very noticeable torque, which should produce a better 0-60mph time as well as produce a little better gas mileage.
Performance specs will be near identical. BSG is only utilized on launch, RPM’s won’t drop below 1500 again on an acceleration run.

Mpg will be near identical. Might be lucky to see 1mpg change. BSG adds 2/1 mpg (city/Hwy) on the 5.7 V8. So BSG will have an even lesser impact on the little 2.0 I4

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Performance specs will be near identical. BSG is only utilized on launch, RPM’s won’t drop below 1500 again on an acceleration run.

Mpg will be near identical. Might be lucky to see 1mpg change. BSG adds 2/1 mpg (city/Hwy) on the 5.7 V8. So BSG will have an even lesser impact on the little 2.0 I4
Well, if about the only benefit BSG provides is to make smother starts after the engine shuts down at a traffic light, then it sure doesn't seem worth it. Glad I ordered the minimally complicated 3.6 V6.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if about the only benefit BSG provides is to make smother starts after the engine shuts down at a traffic light, then it sure doesn't seem worth it. Glad I ordered the minimally complicated 3.6 V6.
I have the 3.6 and I'm very happy with it. Over one year with no problems at all.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Greetings all!

Yes I know this is kind of beating a dead horse. I'm sorry in advance for asking but I value the input if I can get it. Either way I'm not a member of the v6/2.0 is better group. I'm looking at what is better for me.

I'm about to place the an order for a 2020 JL Rubicon 2 door. I was dead set on v6 due to my experience and my fathers experience with one each. Now that the Rubicon no longer has the 2.0 with BSG it has come on the table for me. I went to my local dealer today to test drive a 2.0 and out of 36 Wranglers on the lot 0 had the 2.0. I spoke to the sales and service dept regarding this and sales stated that people where I live just don't want the complexity of the 2.0. The sales person states they have only sold 2 2.0 models and they were both orders. I have a lot of turbo experience dating as far back to the nissan 300zx, an rx7 tt , numerous turbo Subarus and my wifes escape turbo, so the turbo doesn't scare me. The hybrid did.That is just me though. The guys in service said it screams, but didnt have much input on reliability as they haven't had many in for service.

I drive 60 miles one way 3 times a week to my hospital and this will be my replacement DD. The wife cant drive a manual, well I mean wont drive a manual, so either way its an auto for me. I live in the mountains, literally as I live on top of a mountain. My daily drive is through the mountains for about 20 miles and then flat/hilly the rest. I usually only keep a vehicle ~3 years, but I really dig the JL so maybe longer.

Does anybody have experience driving both the JL 3.6 and 2.0 auto in mountains or at altitude? I range from ~2000'-~4000' in my area. My local trail that is Beasley Knob. Its pretty difficult and i doubt in stock form I would clear the toughest parts as most guys use their winches from time to time on built Jeeps. Off road will probably represent a low percentage of my total miles driven, but I want this thing to do well and be reliable while doing it.

2.0 owners- Have you had any issues with heat in off road rock crawling conditions? Is the fan noise/ less desirable exhaust noise such an issue that you would consider them as a no go if you did it again? My wife drivers a Ford Escape turbo and it does quite well up here. I know first hand that the jk 3.6 feels kinda sluggish here compared to when I lived in FL. Thanks for reading the wall of text.

Pros better gas mileage and more usable power
Cons I can find are possible lower resale value, fan noise, less desirable exhaust tone and unknown reliability

I have always tuned/built my vehicles and value performance highly

I will likely drive to a big city before I order to test drive a 2.0 at least, but I wanted input from other owners as I think I have driven the sales dept crazy enough as is.

TLDR 2.0 or 3.6 auto for the mountains, long daily drive, will use on tough off road trails?
If you are leasing the vehicle for 3-4 years, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 2.0T. People who have it like it a lot; smooth, delivers good power, etc. However, if you are keeping the Jeep for a long time/high miles (i.e. well beyond warranty), the V-6 might be the safer financial choice. Smaller motors that are turbo-charged to generate more power tend to run higher internal temperatures, they tend to be harder on their oil, then tend to put a lot of stress on the crankshaft bearings (though they can have beneficially shorter and stiffer crankshafts) and they tend, on average, to have shorter service lives between major rebuilds. Add to that the fact that it is the newer less proven motor for FCA and you've got an argument for sticking with the well-proven and largely bullet-proof V-6. FCA is a solid company and this motor has been in service elsewhere, so it could be a perfectly safe choice that works out fine (and is cheaper to run due to better milage), but if you are looking to err on the side of caution, you're going to want to go with the V-6.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Really torn between the 2.0 non-BSG and the 3.6.

Owned a TJ about 20 years ago and really loved it. I want a daily driver for my 45 mile round trip commute, mostly city and some traffic. I'd like MPGs in the 20s so I don't have to gas up too much - I can go a whole week in my current Subaru Legacy.

The Rubi is probably not for me as I am unlikely to do hard core rock crawling, but will do many forest roads and some moderately difficult trails, plus snow. My RAM CDT is a tow rig, but it gets 21 mpg on the highway and if it were a convertible and not 22 ft long, I'd be quite happy!

Drove the 2.0 BSG and was super impressed, but also worried about the complexity of the BSG drivetrain, so looking forward to learning more about the 2020 non-BSG option.

My TJ was the classic stout 4l inline six, what a tractor that engine was.

Nik H

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I love my 2.0 with BSG....

I have owned the 3.6 liter in another Jeep vehicle and it was solid as well. However, when I bought my 2018 Rubicon, I drove both and loved the low end torque off the line with the 2.0. Really not too concerned about the added complexity that people talk about but time will tell.

Have no clue how the 2.0 without BSG will perform.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I remember hearing that the BSG contributed up to 70 lb/ft of torque up to 1500 rpm. I can't seem to find any documentation, but if that is true there is going to be a big difference in off the line feel. It might not translate to actual acceleration specs (but it should), but I think it won't be what everyone loves about the 2.0.

Beane2

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Greetings all!

Yes I know this is kind of beating a dead horse. I'm sorry in advance for asking but I value the input if I can get it. Either way I'm not a member of the v6/2.0 is better group. I'm looking at what is better for me.

I'm about to place the an order for a 2020 JL Rubicon 2 door. I was dead set on v6 due to my experience and my fathers experience with one each. Now that the Rubicon no longer has the 2.0 with BSG it has come on the table for me. I went to my local dealer today to test drive a 2.0 and out of 36 Wranglers on the lot 0 had the 2.0. I spoke to the sales and service dept regarding this and sales stated that people where I live just don't want the complexity of the 2.0. The sales person states they have only sold 2 2.0 models and they were both orders. I have a lot of turbo experience dating as far back to the nissan 300zx, an rx7 tt , numerous turbo Subarus and my wifes escape turbo, so the turbo doesn't scare me. The hybrid did.That is just me though. The guys in service said it screams, but didnt have much input on reliability as they haven't had many in for service.

I drive 60 miles one way 3 times a week to my hospital and this will be my replacement DD. The wife cant drive a manual, well I mean wont drive a manual, so either way its an auto for me. I live in the mountains, literally as I live on top of a mountain. My daily drive is through the mountains for about 20 miles and then flat/hilly the rest. I usually only keep a vehicle ~3 years, but I really dig the JL so maybe longer.

Does anybody have experience driving both the JL 3.6 and 2.0 auto in mountains or at altitude? I range from ~2000'-~4000' in my area. My local trail that is Beasley Knob. Its pretty difficult and i doubt in stock form I would clear the toughest parts as most guys use their winches from time to time on built Jeeps. Off road will probably represent a low percentage of my total miles driven, but I want this thing to do well and be reliable while doing it.

2.0 owners- Have you had any issues with heat in off road rock crawling conditions? Is the fan noise/ less desirable exhaust noise such an issue that you would consider them as a no go if you did it again? My wife drivers a Ford Escape turbo and it does quite well up here. I know first hand that the jk 3.6 feels kinda sluggish here compared to when I lived in FL. Thanks for reading the wall of text.

Pros better gas mileage and more usable power
Cons I can find are possible lower resale value, fan noise, less desirable exhaust tone and unknown reliability

I have always tuned/built my vehicles and value performance highly

I will likely drive to a big city before I order to test drive a 2.0 at least, but I wanted input from other owners as I think I have driven the sales dept crazy enough as is.

TLDR 2.0 or 3.6 auto for the mountains, long daily drive, will use on tough off road trails?
I put 115 thousand miles on a JK with the 3.6 decided to try the 2.0 this time around on 2019 Rubicon and so far we love it. The take off is way better especially getting on and off ramps that I have to do to get to work and back, it seems lighter and faster as for trails no issues of any kind going on the same ones as we did in the JK. The fans are noise though but I saw some videos and the 3.6 was noise as well as they raised the compression ratio which means more heat and more cooling. I average 24.8 MPG now, one of the things we really like is the 8 speed transmission its very smooth does care to down shift when needed and will hold as long as it needs to...it seems much better than the old one. But hey they are Jeeps just get one that suits you and enjoy!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I remember hearing that the BSG contributed up to 70 lb/ft of torque up to 1500 rpm. I can't seem to find any documentation, but if that is true there is going to be a big difference in off the line feel. It might not translate to actual acceleration specs (but it should), but I think it won't be what everyone loves about the 2.0.
I think you are right on target. I test drove the 2.0L turbo 5-6 times. Very impressive! But, I think without the BSG in the Sport and Rubicon models, it is going to feel a lot different. That is why I went with the 3.6L in my 2020 JLRU order.

It will be very interesting to see the specs for the non-BSG turbo when they come out.
Sponsored