Sponsored

About to order with 3.6l etorque - anyone have one yet?

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
The reviews of this engine in the Ram have been good, just curious if anyone has experience with it in the Wrangler. Thanks!
Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
The reviews of this engine in the Ram have been good, just curious if anyone has experience with it in the Wrangler. Thanks!
Sorry I can't help- but I just ordered mine this week... reviews and information on the Jeep application of this engine are not to be found! I'd love to here user experienced differences in torque off the line, fuel economy, ESS smoothness!

Gerry878

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Occupation
Banker
I’m no expert but I don’t think it’ll make much of a difference with power numbers. It’s more for fuel efficiency as the engine wouldn’t need to work too hard during full stop take offs. Meaning engine load will be very minimal. Just my thoughts. Love the way Jeep is thinking though. Wranglers are evolving. Cheers!

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m no expert but I don’t think it’ll make much of a difference with power numbers. It’s more for fuel efficiency as the engine wouldn’t need to work too hard during full stop take offs. Meaning engine load will be very minimal. Just my thoughts. Love the way Jeep is thinking though. Wranglers are evolving. Cheers!
Do you have one or are you assuming this like the rest of us are?

Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I’ve read it and it states:
“
  • a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions;”
Which led me to believe there may be a seat-of-the-pants difference in the launch... which is why I’m seeking opinions from folks who have DRIVEN one

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
“
  • a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions;”
Which led me to believe there may be a seat-of-the-pants difference in the launch... which is why I’m seeking opinions from folks who have DRIVEN one
from what the ram videos have said there’s no seat of the pants difference. It’s about smoothness of economy. It basically only takes over until the engine hits 1500rpm so it’s not long enough to really notice. What it should help and what people who have driven it say is how much smoother the stop start is. The current one is quite clunky and harsh. It’ll also help run things like AC while the engine is stopped. Something the current ess can’t do.

LennyF

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon - Ordered a 2021 JL Rubi - 4H Auto
“
I drove a 2020 3.6 with eTorque about 2 weeks ago and was specifically looking for additional torque from the line and did not notice any difference whatsoever between the 3.6 with and the 3.6 without

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
“
Why rely on another "opinion" when you can just go to any number of Dealers in your area and test drive IT for yourself Gratification or Dismay ! ? . That's what I would do, and have done ! I won't give you my impressions ONLY because YOU need to satisfy YOUR own "curiosity" . . . don't you think ? Good luck with the testing !

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why rely on another "opinion" when you can just go to any number of Dealers in your area and test drive IT for yourself Gratification or Dismay ! ? . That's what I would do, and have done ! I won't give you my impressions ONLY because YOU need to satisfy YOUR own "curiosity" . . . don't you think ? Good luck with the testing !
Obviously that would make sense to do. Unfortunately, none of the LA dealers have any 2020 with the 3.6 etorque to test! Most vehicles are Rubicons or Sport around here, and any of the Saharas on the lot have been 2019.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Obviously that would make sense to do. Unfortunately, none of the LA dealers have any 2020 with the 3.6 etorque to test! Most vehicles are Rubicons or Sport around here, and any of the Saharas on the lot have been 2019.
Minor Road Trip ? If it's important to you that is ? Good point on the 2019's . . . a 2019 with eTorque should be easier to find - regardless of model, the "effect" of the eTorque will be the same ! My experience in testing was with a 2019 Sport S and a Sahara . . . AND I wanted to see what differences there were via IT being on a 2.0L vs. a 3.6L (automatics) .
There ARE other Threads Here and members who have the eTorque, and have given their likes / dislikes . . . again, 'Good (will) Hunting' for your Dream Jeep !

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minor Road Trip ? If it's important to you that is ? Good point on the 2019's . . . a 2019 with eTorque should be easier to find - regardless of model, the "effect" of the eTorque will be the same ! My experience in testing was with a 2019 Sport S and a Sahara . . . AND I wanted to see what differences there were via IT being on a 2.0L vs. a 3.6L (automatics) .
There ARE other Threads Here and members who have the eTorque, and have given their likes / dislikes . . . again, 'Good (will) Hunting' for your Dream Jeep !
Thank you! I've driven 2.0 etorque in a rental for a few days and liked it. 2019 only offered the 2.0 etorque. Since the 2.0 is turbo, it already differentiates itself in the torque category- so I think the only thing comparable would be the smoothness of the start/stop - which was velvety smooth!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you! I've driven 2.0 etorque in a rental for a few days and liked it. 2019 only offered the 2.0 etorque. Since the 2.0 is turbo, it already differentiates itself in the torque category- so I think the only thing comparable would be the smoothness of the start/stop - which was velvety smooth!
Yes . . . I DO agree . . . Much Smoother than say regular ESS, in particular, my WK2.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Does 3.6 eTorque add any horsepower or foot pounds? Specs I find seem to say it’s the same. Also, I drove with and without eTorque. The ESS is definitely smoother so much so I would get it if that was the vehicle I wanted. Actually I’m sprained there isn’t more on the subject.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Does 3.6 eTorque add any horsepower or foot pounds? Specs I find seem to say it’s the same. Also, I drove with and without eTorque. The ESS is definitely smoother so much so I would get it if that was the vehicle I wanted. Actually I’m sprained there isn’t more on the subject.
It's a 90 ft/lb electric motor, but only adds it on the bottom end of the RPMs. Basically a short burst of torque to get the vehicle moving from a stop, reducing the amount of fuel needed to do so. It doesn't add anything on the top end, as its being used as a generator to replenish the battery at that point.
Sponsored