Sponsored

About to make an offer on a 2019 2dr JL Rubicon - MSRP 51,200, "sale price" $46,500. Options?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Alright guys, the fun begins. I'm looking at a white 2 door JL Rubi with the following:

Bright White
8 speed auto / V6
body color fenders
body color freedom hardtop
alpine audio/8.4" entertainment
LED lighting group
Safety Group
Steel Bumpers
Tow Group/HD Alternator/Aux group
Black leather interior

MSRP is 51,200 and they're listing it at 46,500. They also have a whopping $899 dealer fee, but this is pretty much the exact Jeep I want so I'm trying to come up with an offer. Looks like invoice price according to the super helpful excel sheets on here comes to 47,790 so they've got it up at around 2.5% below invoice. VIN lookup shows that it was once listed or sold (internally at the auto group) for 45,300.

Since this is a 2019 and it's been on the market since May, do you think I can feasibly offer something like 43 or 43.5k? No lower than that, correct? That's about 7 or 8 percent under inv. This will be my first new car negotiation as I usually buy pre-owned or CPO vehicles, so some of this is new to me. Note I will probably lease this for the first 36 or 42 months, but I'm going to get to an agreement on sale price before I go there. Also, this will hopefully be done over email as I'm 6 hours and one state away from the dealer.

Do I actually, truly need Tread Lightly for them to even remotely consider knocking more off, or do you just get lucky with motivated dealers trying to clear the lot for 2020s? I just don't think this particular model will be there in 30 days when TL would kick in for me.

And finally, what is there in the way of factory-installed options? Can I ask them to install 35" tires before I pick it up, and if so do I pay for the tires or just the difference between the brand new 33"s that would come off + labor?
Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I am seeing dealers in the PNW accepting 6% off invoice for in stock inventory.. Doc fees vary, $500-700. Offer 8% and let them counter.

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
$43.5k would be ~8.5% below invoice. The best, most competitive pricing out there is 8-8.5% below invoice with affiliate pricing, and you're asking for it without. No dealer will touch that, they aren't having problems selling 2019's. I'd recommend starting at 8% below ($44k) and going up to 5% below ($45.5k).

If this is the exact Jeep you want, don't let $500-$1000 keep you from it...$500 over a 5 year loan is like an extra $20 a month, if that.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Alright guys, the fun begins. I'm looking at a white 2 door JL Rubi with the following:

Bright White
8 speed auto / V6
body color fenders
body color freedom hardtop
alpine audio/8.4" entertainment
LED lighting group
Safety Group
Steel Bumpers
Tow Group/HD Alternator/Aux group
Black leather interior

MSRP is 51,200 and they're listing it at 46,500. They also have a whopping $899 dealer fee, but this is pretty much the exact Jeep I want so I'm trying to come up with an offer. Looks like invoice price according to the super helpful excel sheets on here comes to 47,790 so they've got it up at around 2.5% below invoice. VIN lookup shows that it was once listed or sold (internally at the auto group) for 45,300.

Since this is a 2019 and it's been on the market since May, do you think I can feasibly offer something like 43 or 43.5k? No lower than that, correct? That's about 7 or 8 percent under inv. This will be my first new car negotiation as I usually buy pre-owned or CPO vehicles, so some of this is new to me. Note I will probably lease this for the first 36 or 42 months, but I'm going to get to an agreement on sale price before I go there. Also, this will hopefully be done over email as I'm 6 hours and one state away from the dealer.

Do I actually, truly need Tread Lightly for them to even remotely consider knocking more off, or do you just get lucky with motivated dealers trying to clear the lot for 2020s? I just don't think this particular model will be there in 30 days when TL would kick in for me.

And finally, what is there in the way of factory-installed options? Can I ask them to install 35" tires before I pick it up, and if so do I pay for the tires or just the difference between the brand new 33"s that would come off + labor?
I would not pay more than $44,000 for it, they need to get rid of the 19’s

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'd go in asking for it at $43k but would pay $44k. Be ready to walk or you will pay more. Good luck!

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'd go in asking for it at $43k but would pay $44k. Be ready to walk or you will pay more. Good luck!
This sounds about right to me but that dealer fee sounds like a rip-off at $900. So, I would want no more than 43k plus that $900 fee.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This sounds about right to me but that dealer fee sounds like a rip-off at $900. So, I would want no more than 43k plus that $900 fee.

I just sent in an offer of 43k and they didn't bite or send a counter:
"I received your offer for my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that i have here for 43K OTD. Unfortunately at this time i am unable to accept that offer. If you change your mind please let us know. Thanks."

I didn't quite say OTD in my offer, so I sent back a correction saying I'd be willing to do 43k + taxes and dealer fees and have not heard back yet. I'm willing to walk on this one for sure but it's a nicely optioned rig in a shrinking nationwide inventory of '19 JLRs.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
I'm willing to walk on this one for sure but it's a nicely optioned rig in a shrinking nationwide inventory of '19 JLRs.
I'd walk and just order one. The dealers will sit on inventory, as the number of 2018s still around shows.

Nicely optioned means there is more of a market for it, so again the won't sell it at that deep of a discount unless they are having a cash flow issue.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd walk and just order one. The dealers will sit on inventory, as the number of 2018s still around shows.

Nicely optioned means there is more of a market for it, so again the won't sell it at that deep of a discount unless they are having a cash flow issue.

This dealership doesn't want to make a deal or even keep the dialog going it seems (because I'm an internet customer with the numbers lined up?) - looks like the search is on unless they get back to me. What's the deal with MY2020? Did the prices go up for your average V6 auto rubicon build?

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
This dealership doesn't want to make a deal or even keep the dialog going it seems (because I'm an internet customer with the numbers lined up?) - looks like the search is on unless they get back to me. What's the deal with MY2020? Did the prices go up for your average V6 auto rubicon build?
They did. I'm not sure of exactly how much, but I think the base MSRP bump plus the auto bump is something like $750.00

Sponsored

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update - talked to the sales manager and got the original dealership down to $44,800 for the 50,200 MSRP JLR. Looks like it's just barely 7% under invoice price and 12.5% off MSRP. Seems pretty solid yeah?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger, I'm waiting for lease numbers to come back from them now before I ultimately decide to lease or buy the thing. Seems like a good deal, I wish I could have beaten them down a tiny bit more but I'm waiting for the numbers to come at me via email so we'll see how it looks with fees and all that added in.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Update - talked to the sales manager and got the original dealership down to $44,800 for the 50,200 MSRP JLR. Looks like it's just barely 7% under invoice price and 12.5% off MSRP. Seems pretty solid yeah?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger, I'm waiting for lease numbers to come back from them now before I ultimately decide to lease or buy the thing. Seems like a good deal, I wish I could have beaten them down a tiny bit more but I'm waiting for the numbers to come at me via email so we'll see how it looks with fees and all that added in.
I was only able to get 10.5% under MSRP, so I'd say you got a great deal. :like:

BTW - Zero Regrets

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a

Any reason why you wouldn't want 8% off a MY2020?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
3% under is good, 5% under is great, 8% is friggin fantastic. Anything beyond 8% and you guys must be really good friends or whatever. GG chief! I'll envy you lol. I got 5% under invoice. (FWP price)

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any reason why you wouldn't want 8% off a MY2020?
Is that easily doable? It feels like pulling teeth to get discounts on ‘19s, I feel like these same dealers won’t want to go 8% on a 2020 build. Especially dealers in the Los Angeles area where I live.
Sponsored