Sponsored

About to get a JL and have general questions

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I am hoping to get a Sahara within the next month or two and just have some general jeep questions for you guys:

1- The wife would like leather. With that in mind, I plan to have the doors and the top off as much as possible. With the weather taking wild swings sometimes, and a sunny day going rainy all of the sudden, what is your experience with rain in your Jeeps? Is this something that Jeep does better, or is it the same as getting rain in any car?

2- I would like to either get one lifted or do a lift pretty short there after. Looking at a 2 inch lift on 35s. What does that do to the gas mileage. Granted I currently drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that is getting like 14MPG, but I am wondering, what is the average for a lifted wrangler?

3- Is there a thread that some one can point me to where I should be looking at the welds? I am looking to buy used, and I hear that I should be checking the welds. Not sure if this is in a specific spot of the welds in general. Just want to see what to look out for, and what should be a warning for me.

4- I also hear to check the steering. What exactly should I check for? My 2001 Jeep has dead spots in the steering, so I am use to it. Granted my wife hates it. But what should I be expecting here?

5- Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You might actually think of just buying new. I think, when I last looked at used JLs, the price difference was only a couple of thousand. Any iffy welds would have been checked by now. And there is a recall V41 for the steering dampers.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
1- Jeeps have rain resistant dash's and interior materials, and even drain plugs to let out water if it should fill.

2- Get the Mopar Lift, keeps the warranty and pretty good price considering all the modifications, they even adjust the headlights for you, kinda a one stop shop for the perfect height. Allot of Research and Development went into the mopar lift and keeping it as close to stock as possible, the MPG's will drop as with any lift but I have heard of people getting 20 still.

3- welds are ok, but I would more check how much it has been off-roaded, by asking or checking the underside.

4- The steering issue is when you cannot go straight, if you are getting an 18 it should be covered by the recall where they will replace the bad part free of charge. Just get on some flat pavement and let it go and see if it shakes, rattles or has a big dead spot, please also keep in mind it is a jeep not a sports car. ;)

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
You might actually think of just buying new. I think, when I last looked at used JLs, the price difference was only a couple of thousand. Any iffy welds would have been checked by now. And there is a recall V41 for the steering dampers.
I have been looking and I think I can save close to $5K over new. If I can, I am going to go used. Especially on something with let's say 12-14K mile wise.

Thanks for the heads up on the welds and the steering dampers, something good to know about.

1- Jeeps have rain resistant dash's and interior materials, and even drain plugs to let out water if it should fill.

2- Get the Mopar Lift, keeps the warranty and pretty good price considering all the modifications, they even adjust the headlights for you, kinda a one stop shop for the perfect height. Allot of Research and Development went into the mopar lift and keeping it as close to stock as possible, the MPG's will drop as with any lift but I have heard of people getting 20 still.

3- welds are ok, but I would more check how much it has been off-roaded, by asking or checking the underside.

4- The steering issue is when you cannot go straight, if you are getting an 18 it should be covered by the recall where they will replace the bad part free of charge. Just get on some flat pavement and let it go and see if it shakes, rattles or has a big dead spot, please also keep in mind it is a jeep not a sports car. ;)
1- How is that with the leather? Also, does any one have experience with the car getting drenched and all was good?

2- Definitely was looking at the Mopar kit. That's the exact one I was looking at. BTW, do you have to have it done by a dealership to keep the warranty in place, or could a specialty shop do it? Secondly, what is the going rate on this?

3- Thanks for responding and letting me know what to look out for. Good call out on the off roading. Will definitely look for that. I would have over looked that here in NJ. Especially northern NJ.

4- Good call out here as well. That works for me. I am very familiar with a Jeep drive so not expecting a sports car. All I want is the top off in the Summer and handling Vermont roads in the winter.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been looking and I think I can save close to $5K over new. If I can, I am going to go used. Especially on something with let's say 12-14K mile wise.

Thanks for the heads up on the welds and the steering dampers, something good to know about.

1- How is that with the leather? Also, does any one have experience with the car getting drenched and all was good?

2- Definitely was looking at the Mopar kit. That's the exact one I was looking at. BTW, do you have to have it done by a dealership to keep the warranty in place, or could a specialty shop do it? Secondly, what is the going rate on this?

3- Thanks for responding and letting me know what to look out for. Good call out on the off roading. Will definitely look for that. I would have over looked that here in NJ. Especially northern NJ.

4- Good call out here as well. That works for me. I am very familiar with a Jeep drive so not expecting a sports car. All I want is the top off in the Summer and handling Vermont roads in the winter.
1- leather is great!! yes I got mud all over it and sprayed it with a hose and towel.

2- Mopar needs to be installed by dealer or certified mod shop to enable warranty, I had mine done at the dealer who I purchased the jeep from. Call around to check prices some dealers do it for cheaper than others.

3- Yeah sometimes people will go a long way to play in the mud, the jeeps can handle allot so should be pretty good used.

5- Hech yeah man, gonna be amazing!! :rock::jk:

No worries, this forum is full of people who have gone through the mods process and love to share any knowledge, if you start to modify the jeep past the lift :like:

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Why not get a soft top for when you're going topless? You can either get a dual top, or add an aftermarket option (the factory soft tops are made by Bestop, so they will essentially be the same as factory). That way in a pop-up storm, you can throw it up in 60 seconds.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
1- leather is great!! yes I got mud all over it and sprayed it with a hose and towel.

2- Mopar needs to be installed by dealer or certified mod shop to enable warranty, I had mine done at the dealer who I purchased the jeep from. Call around to check prices some dealers do it for cheaper than others.

3- Yeah sometimes people will go a long way to play in the mud, the jeeps can handle allot so should be pretty good used.

5- Hech yeah man, gonna be amazing!! :rock::jk:

No worries, this forum is full of people who have gone through the mods process and love to share any knowledge, if you start to modify the jeep past the lift :like:
1- Okay, that is great to know. BTW, does the car get a musty smell at all after being soaked?

2- What's the average price on that? I have heard like $1,500 to $2K. Is that about right? Not taking into account the rims and wheels obviously. Also heard that by doing that, you can get a 100K warrenty on it. Not sure where I heard that, I think some video I saw. Just not sure if it's accurate.

3- Yup, even though I think the used Jeep I am looking at was a mom who got it as a gift and thought, "This car is loud and doesn't drive so well". Definitely had that feel to it. Hence why it was traded in. But like you said, you never know!

4- Love that jeep GIF.

In terms of mods, man, my wife is gonna love me. I just came off a hobby that I was spending $5K a year on that I am no longer doing. So I am sure she would love this. The main items I have my on at the moment is the
- mopar lift kit,
- new rims and tires to do 35s
- soft top
- automated winch to take the top off in the garage
- hangers for the doors
- Those side mirrors that mount to the frame vs. the doors to have side view mirrors without the doors on

So yeah, don't even own the car yet, and have a good $7K sitting in wants for a thing I already want.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1- Okay, that is great to know. BTW, does the car get a musty smell at all after being soaked?

2- What's the average price on that? I have heard like $1,500 to $2K. Is that about right? Not taking into account the rims and wheels obviously. Also heard that by doing that, you can get a 100K warrenty on it. Not sure where I heard that, I think some video I saw. Just not sure if it's accurate.

3- Yup, even though I think the used Jeep I am looking at was a mom who got it as a gift and thought, "This car is loud and doesn't drive so well". Definitely had that feel to it. Hence why it was traded in. But like you said, you never know!

4- Love that jeep GIF.

In terms of mods, man, my wife is gonna love me. I just came off a hobby that I was spending $5K a year on that I am no longer doing. So I am sure she would love this. The main items I have my on at the moment is the
- mopar lift kit,
- new rims and tires to do 35s
- soft top
- automated winch to take the top off in the garage
- hangers for the doors
- Those side mirrors that mount to the frame vs. the doors to have side view mirrors without the doors on

So yeah, don't even own the car yet, and have a good $7K sitting in wants for a thing I already want.
1- yeah, definitely lost its new car smell, but not bad smelling.

2- my cousin has a 18 JL got quoted 2200, I got mine installed for 1,600, so definitely shop around! I would suggest building a relationship with a jeep dealer you plan on using for maintenance, etc. even if it is a few bucks more.

3- super common, allot of people buy one only to find out it drives kinda funky compared to a modern day suv.

I would start shopping at

https://www.northridge4x4.com/
https://www.quadratec.com
https://www.extremeterrain.com

all great sites! fun to shop around!
If you end up getting a winch I would suggest possibly looking at Warn I have one and it is amazing! It will pay for itself if you get stuck and can be used to take off the top with a pully setup.
I would go with the mopar soft-top it is 2,200 installed but it is the best one out there and goes all the way back, bestop makes a great second place model if you want to save some money, but it is more of a safari top ( does not fold all the way back).
The most fun part of the wheels is picking the style and the offset (how far the wheels stick out) I have -18 and they stick out pretty far I really dig it! but if you want them to tuck under I would suggest -1 or 0. the stock wheels are like +34 so even at 0/-1 they will stick out a decent amount. I really like my tires as well but they are mud tires, I would suggest the 315/35 inch Ko2's they are super quiet and do pretty decent off road and are snow rated, they are also easy to come by.

A6B05A3D-6E6A-4638-B7ED-38BEFD885AF7.JPG

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Where in NJ? im in Rockaway if you ever see this jeep, that's me
I have gotten her wet twice from rain, no problems, run heater on blast or leave top off after you drain it, no bad smell.
I just run soft top yearly, easy to take down and never without a top, it isn't cold in the winter because jeep heat is crazy.

Leather will get hot with top down, get a sunshade
20190615_180740.jpg

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
1- yeah, definitely lost its new car smell, but not bad smelling.

2- my cousin has a 18 JL got quoted 2200, I got mine installed for 1,600, so definitely shop around! I would suggest building a relationship with a jeep dealer you plan on using for maintenance, etc. even if it is a few bucks more.

3- super common, allot of people buy one only to find out it drives kinda funky compared to a modern day suv.

I would start shopping at

https://www.northridge4x4.com/
https://www.quadratec.com
https://www.extremeterrain.com

all great sites! fun to shop around!
If you end up getting a winch I would suggest possibly looking at Warn I have one and it is amazing! It will pay for itself if you get stuck and can be used to take off the top with a pully setup.
I would go with the mopar soft-top it is 2,200 installed but it is the best one out there and goes all the way back, bestop makes a great second place model if you want to save some money, but it is more of a safari top ( does not fold all the way back).
The most fun part of the wheels is picking the style and the offset (how far the wheels stick out) I have -18 and they stick out pretty far I really dig it! but if you want them to tuck under I would suggest -1 or 0. the stock wheels are like +34 so even at 0/-1 they will stick out a decent amount. I really like my tires as well but they are mud tires, I would suggest the 315/35 inch Ko2's they are super quiet and do pretty decent off road and are snow rated, they are also easy to come by.

A6B05A3D-6E6A-4638-B7ED-38BEFD885AF7.JPG
That ride looks super sweet. Love the Rbicons and the Grey. Getting that in the Sahara.

For the tires, I have to also measure my garage. I have the two doors on the garage, and wonder how tight it will be. I think the roof should should be fine lifting, but I wonder how far out the tires will stick out and if they will hit anything in the garage. Actually my biggest worry here.

In terms of off roading, I think mine would be mainly beach off roading. The nearest place to off road near me, is pretty far away. Having said that, snow is going to be very important for me. Especially going skiing.

Thanks for all the good sites to look at. Wife probably not as thankful. But yet again, I can hear the "well, you got the car you wanted, now let's focus in on redoing that kitchen I want" So your helping her indirectly. Ha!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Where in NJ? im in Rockaway if you ever see this jeep, that's me
I have gotten her wet twice from rain, no problems, run heater on blast or leave top off after you drain it, no bad smell.
I just run soft top yearly, easy to take down and never without a top, it isn't cold in the winter because jeep heat is crazy.

Leather will get hot with top down, get a sunshade
20190615_180740.jpg
Nice ride!

I am in Middletown NJ. Plenty of beautiful trails out here, but none allowed for off roading.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Drove my leather clad rubicon without the doors in a cats-and-dogs rainstorm. Smelled musty for a few days. Took out the door mats and let it air out in the sun, smell went away.

Drain plugs did great, let the water all out. Just remember if you cross a creek that is as high as your floorboards, the drain plugs are also good at letting water *in* :)

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Pine Barrens is fun to explore and legal, although they have closed quite a few trails due to people dumping and destroying nature.
Most of the main trails/roads are still open I believe, unless things have changed

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Yup, I actually did a week camping in the Pine Barrens for a college class I took. Been looking to do that now as an adult. That may give me reason to do it again!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That ride looks super sweet. Love the Rbicons and the Grey. Getting that in the Sahara.

For the tires, I have to also measure my garage. I have the two doors on the garage, and wonder how tight it will be. I think the roof should should be fine lifting, but I wonder how far out the tires will stick out and if they will hit anything in the garage. Actually my biggest worry here.

In terms of off roading, I think mine would be mainly beach off roading. The nearest place to off road near me, is pretty far away. Having said that, snow is going to be very important for me. Especially going skiing.

Thanks for all the good sites to look at. Wife probably not as thankful. But yet again, I can hear the "well, you got the car you wanted, now let's focus in on redoing that kitchen I want" So your helping her indirectly. Ha!
Lol I'm the opposite of your wife:like: I said let's forget this damn kitchen and I want a new Jeep:rock:
Sponsored