About to buy a jl

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
c'mon guys, ultimately is his money and he can do whatever he wants with his jeep and money. Like the guys that buy lambos and don't go pass 65mph because is the speed limit. Should they have bought a Prius instead because they can't use the lambo to its capabilities? Their car, their money.

OP - unlimited just means 4 doors. If you add a lift kit, they all will be at the same height because you'll be removing the factory suspension and adding the lift. So if you add the 2" lift to a Sport, Sahara, or Rubi - they will all be at 2".

From factory, the Rubicon stands a little higher than the other models.

Rubicon does look cooler and it has cooler buttons and stickers :like:
Sponsored

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
Not everyone lives next to trails. The closest thing I have to trails is the beach, which I do frequent every weekend. I doubt most people who lift jeeps even on 35s actually off-road regularly. So what if I want 37s. I like the way it looks. Also wanted something I can take the top off. Well sounds like a jeep is good for me.

But if what y'all are telling me is a jeep can't do 100,000 miles in 5 years I don't want one. Sounds like reliablity issues.

Okay keyboard warriors carry on. Tell me about how y'all off-road at Moab every weekend and don't daily drive y'alls jeep because you have your bmw 7 series you drive daily
These guys and not the most tactful... I’ll daily
Yep, bought my Rubicon to be my daily driver. Yep, I put a lift and mounted 37" tires. Yep, I put bling, bling wheels on it...Had polished wheels on my Ram and I have polished wheels on my Jeep....not a fan of the black and it's my Jeep. I've had 4x4's my entire life and really enjoy driving them. I don't complain about the ride and I know the gas mileage will be down. It's what makes me happy and could care less what everyone else thinks.

Acceleration...No it isn't like driving a Hemi, but I'll put it up against a JK with an automatic all day long. This new 8 speed with the lower gears makes a huge difference. I test drove both a JK an JL before making much purchase and it was pretty night and day to me. Haven't driven a 6 speed manual and I think it would be fun to have, but my wife would never drive it and I want her to enjoy it also.

Gear Ratio...The Jeep performs great around town, but suffers on the highway with the 4.10 and 8 speed. Essentially, it doesn't want to go and stay in the 8th speed, 2nd overdrive, except when running down hill or flat with no wind. Problem is that with 37" tires, the overdrive drops the RPM's down to 1500 which is outside the effective torque range. Will be changing gears later this year to 4.88 to get the overdrive back into the right range. But for around town driving, you don't need to worry about the 8th gear.

Brakes...The new JL Rubicon comes with a big brake kit. This thing has no problem stopping the larger tires.

Gas Mileage...Just returned from a 170 mile road trip. Averaged 18.2 mpg and getting about 15 mpg around town (still a little early to tell). I'll takes those numbers all day long with 37" tires. And I'll probably get less MPG around town as this thing is really fun to drive.

Is it a Mall Crawler? Maybe. But I have already joined a local Offroad Club and look forward to taking it out and playing on the easy to moderate trails. I look forward to pulling the top off on the weekends. I look forward to pulling a trailer down to get firewood or materials for projects from Home Depot. Will I take it offroad...absolutely. But I'm not stupid and willing to take the risk of tearing up my daily driver by trying to show off my Jeep...have nothing to prove.

Just my $0.02.
thats my dream use of my wrangler!