About to buy a jl

Ausreed93

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to own jl
Going to get a jeep this week. First one ever so forgive me I'm kind of new to this but I have a couple of questions.

From my understanding the Rubicon and unlimited are different heights and the Rubicon comes with 4.10 gears and I read somewhere beefier axles.

My main goal is to run 37s. This will be my daily driver (about 20k miles a year) and i don't do much offloading, just go to the beach every weekend and may hit some soft sand. Ultimately just want it for looks. So I'll be adding a lift kit. With either model would I achieve the same ride height or would the Rubicon be taller because it started taller? Also are the 4.10 gears necessary or can I get away with the smaller base gearing?

Also I'm leaning towards a manual gear box just because an 8 speed seems problematic especially for bigger tires...

Any thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Not to be a party pooper, but, you should get an older Jeep and a car. 20k a year is a lot mileage especially with a modified Jeep.

If you must, the Rubicon is very nice. Better axels, 4.10, better transfer case, etc. You will need to re-gear a Sahara or sport. You might even need to re gear the rubi. But not right away.

Also, the 8 speed is really nice.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
You can see the differences in the models here

https://www.jeep.com/compare/detailed-chart.html?modelYearCode=CUJ201810

But yes - the Rubicon is higher than the Sport/Sahara models (and comes with 33s already), the Rubi has a 4.10 ratio while the others is 3.45, Rubicon also comes with front/rear lockers and heavier axles - there are a ton of differences really.

I'd recommend pausing the purchase, figure out what you want and what you want to do with it - and then make a choice. Include whatever upgrades cost in that choice. If it's just looks - a Sport-S on 37s with a big lift might work, but you'll definitely have to regear.

The Rubicon also has a lot of visual differences

start with the link above - you can even see pictures of all the differences. But unless you have $50k to just throw (some people do, I don't judge) I'd recommend researching to see what you definitely want out of the vehicle

ymmv

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Going to get a jeep this week. First one ever so forgive me I'm kind of new to this but I have a couple of questions.

From my understanding the Rubicon and unlimited are different heights and the Rubicon comes with 4.10 gears and I read somewhere beefier axles.

My main goal is to run 37s. This will be my daily driver (about 20k miles a year) and i don't do much offloading, just go to the beach every weekend and may hit some soft sand. Ultimately just want it for looks. So I'll be adding a lift kit. With either model would I achieve the same ride height or would the Rubicon be taller because it started taller? Also are the 4.10 gears necessary or can I get away with the smaller base gearing?

Also I'm leaning towards a manual gear box just because an 8 speed seems problematic especially for bigger tires...

Just my 0.02 - Sport S, run a small lift and 35s - unless you just want it you won’t need the Rubicon capabilities to run in the sand every once in a while.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
The 8 speed will surprise you. It doesn't have problems with the bigger tires. This is my third 8 speed, 1 in my 14 ram and 1 in my 16 ram i have now. That was one of the biggest reasons l bought the JL.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build

Yr really serious? Running 37’s and doing 99% highway at 20k a year? Make
Sure you get the knobbiest mud tires too while yr at it! Like super swampers so something like
That...

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads

Troll? Really? 1st post is this? Please be the one who comes into my dealership and wants this....

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Guys he is not alone. This one has 22 inch wheels to boot. Some people just like a lift and some big tires on their daily driver. It ain't for me but to each his own.

BLACK Wrangler JL Club

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Guys he is not alone. This one has 22 inch wheels to boot. Some people just like a lift and some big tires on their daily driver. It ain't for me but to each his own.
I agree as much as I don't personally like it. I see waaaay more Jeeps obviously running lifts, larger tires, etc. that are clearly only for appearance. I think we all need to accept that this appearance market is a large segment of owners. And the JLs just started coming. Ughh

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Clearly troll post and should be deleted

OP
OP

Ausreed93

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to own jl
Not everyone lives next to trails. The closest thing I have to trails is the beach, which I do frequent every weekend. I doubt most people who lift jeeps even on 35s actually off-road regularly. So what if I want 37s. I like the way it looks. Also wanted something I can take the top off. Well sounds like a jeep is good for me.

But if what y'all are telling me is a jeep can't do 100,000 miles in 5 years I don't want one. Sounds like reliablity issues.

Okay keyboard warriors carry on. Tell me about how y'all off-road at Moab every weekend and don't daily drive y'alls jeep because you have your bmw 7 series you drive daily

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see the problem. I'm gonna daily my rubicon JL with 37's just like I did with my JK with 35's and a long arm set up, and the JKU before that. Gonna hit the trails too. Maybe some of you aren't real Jeep guys?
Sponsored