Sponsored

AAA or are there better alternatives available?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I seldom need towing/flat tire assistance/ jump start etc. However my better half is a completely different story. Not only does she seem to find herself in these situations, she’s neither calm nor rational nor reasonable at all when it happens. The cost isn’t really an issue for us, when I had to drive across Houston to deal with her flat tire last week in the middle of a workday it would have cost me much more than the AAA Premier membership annual cost if my boss were inclined to make me use paid time off.

I’m in Texas. AAA Premier Texas is $117 year. Is there any service that anyone has used that they found to be better than AAA for roadside service?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have roadside from my auto insurance, a credit card, and AAA.

AAA is always more responsive than the other options.
Thanks. Cost isn’t an issue, the $117/yr isn’t significant for us and discounts on Disney tickets on a trip next year will more than offset the cost for the first several years.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

We have AAA. It was a hassle to get them to recover a motorcycle after I had an accident. It was on a forest road (paved) and they didn't want to go there since it wasn't a major road. They finally did.
Other than that, they've been fine for primarily lockouts.

I haven't seen any decent comparable options.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Just keep in mind that AAA WILL NOT respond if the vehicle is not on a paved road. Happened to my wife, and I've seen several other discussions about this on line since. In their ads they tell you "no matter where you are" they'll rescue you...but in the fine print you'll find that is not true. Here's a screen shot I got from this forum a while back:
Jeep Wrangler JL AAA or are there better alternatives available? AAA off road

Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
AAA has to be within so many feet of a pave surface/road. Also, know the limits. When I last had AAA you only got 4 tows per year.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
I really wanted to use AAA as it came highly recommended from some friends. I used them 20 years ago and again 2 years ago - NEVER AGAIN. As long as you fit their highly developed narrowly defined structure you'll be fine. They are unable to deal with any thing one tiny millimeter outside their parameters. New, stock and on paved roads you'll be fine, anything else - good luck!

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The hotel/ travel discounts are the only reason we have it. My daughter is in a travel sports league and she and my wife are in a different city 1-2 weekends a month. It saves us a fortune. I bet there is also fine print that says they won’t change a spare tire that weighs 120 lbs😆

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Haven't used it in a long time, but we have roadside as an add on for our Auto Insurance. I want to say it's like $50/yr through USAA.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The hotel/ travel discounts are the only reason we have it.
Several years back I was getting an eye exam at Pearl and didn't have insurance at the time. Doctor asked, "well, how about AAA?" Can't even remember what the discount was, but was just surprised it gave me anything off an optometry exam of all things.

Fortunately haven't had a need to use them in a long time, but in my experience, the local tow truck companies they sent were much quicker to respond than those sent by the free roadside assistance from purchasing a new vehicle (and seemed generally more experienced and willing to solve whatever problem at hand).

Really not sure what their 'fine print' limitations are, but was very grateful when a driver was willing to tow my car over 90 miles from out of state along with allowing me and my passenger to squish into the cab with him for a ride home, which seemed like something they usually wouldn't or couldn't accommodate.

Shit happens and AAA gives me a little extra piece of mind.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Don't forget the other perks for AAA, discounts, kids under 21 free, free notary 5 per year. Check AAA premium online.

I seldom need towing/flat tire assistance/ jump start etc. However my better half is a completely different story. Not only does she seem to find herself in these situations, she’s neither calm nor rational nor reasonable at all when it happens. The cost isn’t really an issue for us, when I had to drive across Houston to deal with her flat tire last week in the middle of a workday it would have cost me much more than the AAA Premier membership annual cost if my boss were inclined to make me use paid time off.

I’m in Texas. AAA Premier Texas is $117 year. Is there any service that anyone has used that they found to be better than AAA for roadside service?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
With the AAA extended towing, you can get towed up to 100 miles. I think most other towing is limited to shorter distances. You can also get trip disruption coverage that covers motels and car rentals.