Sponsored

A word or caution for those considering a power soft top

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Let's hope they learned from their mistakes in that vehicle. It seems everything else has been a home run for FCA with this new JL, so why would this roof be any different?

Plus, I don't recall seeing any threads on leaking roofs or other issues that, in any way, paint a picture of this roof being anything less than stellar.

When I do see threads on this roof, however, it seems many want to post warnings on reliability and seemingly poke holes in its functionality...and they don't even own the damn roof themselves. It's all heresy and conjecture on their part. Also, they don't seem to listen to those of us who actually do own the top. To my knowledge, everyone that does own it, says they are working perfectly and it was a great decision to purchase it. Maybe someday, the naysayers will be silent. Then again, this is the internet...
Maybe you’re reading different threads, but everything from steering issues to windshield to rear defrosters, softtop wear, etc. seems to have not exactly been a home run so far. And these are things that weren’t really much different than previous models. It’s not inconceivable that problems can pop up later.

It seems like they have a long backorder on common parts like rear windshields. If the entire roof really is one part number, that sounds like a terrible wait for replacement parts, especially if the frame rails have to be painted to match.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but owners are usually the worst source of information. It’s human nature to defend one’s own decisions first; especially if the purchase was recent.
Sponsored

DarinFred

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (in D1 status)
This is easy. If the thing stops working after 7 years and FCA doesn’t support it any longer, I’ll buy a soft top or hardtop to replace it. Until then, I plan to enjoy the convenience.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Maybe you’re reading different threads, but everything from steering issues to windshield to rear defrosters, softtop wear, etc. seems to have not exactly been a home run so far. And these are things that weren’t really much different than previous models. It’s not inconceivable that problems can pop up later.

It seems like they have a long backorder on common parts like rear windshields. If the entire roof really is one part number, that sounds like a terrible wait for replacement parts, especially if the frame rails have to be painted to match.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but owners are usually the worst source of information. It’s human nature to defend one’s own decisions first; especially if the purchase was recent.
Well.... I already did have one replacement due to car wash damage. The rear quarter panel glass had to be replaced. Super easy and cheap fix. It takes the same glass as any other hard top.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I am sure there will be problems withe the power top. It is inevitable.
  1. I had one if my Pontiac Solstice tops replaced twice.
  2. I have replaced three Mustang tops between the two I have owned.
  3. I should have replaced a top on a Chysler Lebaron.
  4. I never ever had a top for my 1966 Willy's Jeep after the original wore out in the early seventies.
  5. My JKU hard top leaked at the middle seam due to excessive removal and poor storage habits.
If you use a convertible top very much it will eventually fail or wear out. The power top will have issues as well --- if you use it enough.

I have driven ten convertibles over my lifetime. I have never raised and lowered a top as frequently as I do on the Sky One-Touch Power Top. I enjoy the outdoors more than any other vehicle I have owned. I lower the top at the slightest whim. When I approach a cold spot by a river and shiver - up goes the top. When I see a car with a dropped top, my envy is quickly addressed.
Thank you Jeep for the best option I have ever had in a vehicle.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just remove 3 PSI of pressure from your tires. This will ensure the top works perfectly.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Well after the first page I didn't read anymore. Just a bashing page. I like mine. It gives me what I wanted. I don't like the looks or hassle of a fold down top. I never used my T Tops on the old Jeep, but for my use the sliding top is exactly what I needed. Obviously, if one wants to worry about what will happen in 3 years if it breaks....you probably should not be in a Jeep anyway. It happens. We will deal with it.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Probably just keep the tracks clean and guides lubed. Formula 303 the fabric and you will be good to go.

It is like a sunroof, do some maintenance to it and they last forever. I have a couple 13 yr old convertibles and they work fine.

Just common sense. If something breaks I am sure you can get parts, people forget the Liberty was done under the Dumbler Bendz and Cerrabus.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Probably just keep the tracks clean and guides lubed. Formula 303 the fabric and you will be good to go.

It is like a sunroof, do some maintenance to it and they last forever. I have a couple 13 yr old convertibles and they work fine.

Just common sense. If something breaks I am sure you can get parts, people forget the Liberty was done under the Dumbler Bendz and Cerrabus.
You are correct! I had a 09 Liberty with the sky slider. I loved it. Took care of the tracks and put a canvas conditioner on it spring and fall and didn't have a problem. When it came time for a new one Jeep discontinued it. Always loved the Wrangler. I leased a Edge Titanium and it was ok . Just a car. Well lease was coming up and I saw the Wrangler with the sky one top. That was it I ordered one with the sky one. Same color as my Liberty was. Love it.

JEFFREY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP MOAB 2016 BMW M4 CV
Sky top is literally what pushed me over the edge and made me order my '19 Moab. I've had convertibles most of my life, always BMW and always with power tops. I just figure this is a hell of a lot more practical 4 door almost convertible.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Again, back to my point earlier.

Those that have this top, love it...and several folks bought into the "Jeep thing" just because of this feature. The biggest negative comments are from those that don't actually have it. I get it that they are simply stating what happened with another version of it on a different vehicle that was last made 6 years ago, but those of us that actually own it and live with it day-in day-out are the ones that are the best sources of knowledge currently. I seriously can't remember reading a post where someone was having issues...they seem to all be positive comments/threads, so far. This is a good thing, even if the naysayers don't see it that way.

It wont be this way forever, obviously, but it sure seems to be a great start.

Sponsored

ugafan706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimted Rubicon v6 auto red skytouch top
I would guess I'm in more vehicles than anyone here. I sell cars. Used. About 300 a year. And I drive every car i ever sell. I had a h2 hummer for a couple of years that I loved. A dealer friend wanted me to price it to him, so I did.. He bought it. Dang it, I priced it too cheap, lol. So i bought a leftover(jan 2014) 2013 Jk unlimited sport(no pwr windows or locks) and did the"jeep" thing. Mod city. lift, 35s, body armor, bumpers, etc... I loved it. Then in December I priced it to a person(for what I had in it!), and he bought it. So what to buy next. I wanted to "not" buy a Jeep. Looked at trucks. Challengers. Even looked at a corvette(get this, you can get a new vette with some equipment for the same prce as a rubicon right now!) I had been hanging out here on this forum for a while just doing some reading. Then I started reading all the good reviews on the sky one touch top.

I finally saw one In Jan, and got to see how far the top went back. So at the end of jan I ordered a Rubi with the top. They had never even seen one at my dealer. Now, in the used car world a sunroof is a liability, Just something else to break down. I'm often asked if a sunroof leaks on a car that I'm selling.. I have the same answer every time. Only when it rains. lol(even if it doesnt leak). But my main helper to take the hardtop off If i bought a hardtop is fixing to leave for college in the fall.

Much to my surprise my Jeep arrived 15 days after my order was placed! Red, v6(thats a story for another day) cloth. Long story short, I love it.

Will it cause problems later on? Absolutely. But right now its under warranty! If its 70 degrees on my way home from work, top goes back.. If its 50 degrees that night and I need to go to store, top goes forward. Naysayers, this top works very well. It looks like a hardtop, but operates like a soft top. I do notice some wind noise, but from what i've been reading the hardtops have wind noise too, so if I'm going to have wind noise, give me this top!

Last edited:

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
...Will it cause problems later on? Absolutely. But right now its under warranty! If its 70 degrees on my way home from work, top goes back.. If its 50 degrees that night and I need to go to store, top goes forward. Naysayers, this top works very well. It looks like a hardtop, but operates like a soft top. I do notice some wind noise, but from what i've been reading the hardtops have wind noise too, so if I'm going to have wind noise, give me this top!
Love this!! Well done, Sir.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I would guess I'm in more vehicles than anyone here. I sell cars. Used. About 300 a year. And I drive every car i ever sell. I had a h2 hummer for a couple of years that I loved. A dealer friend wanted me to price it to him, so I did.. He bought it. Dang it, I priced it too cheap, lol. So i bought a leftover(jan 2014) 2013 Jk unlimited sport(no pwr windows or locks) and did the"jeep" thing. Mod city. lift, 35s, body armor, bumpers, etc... I loved it. Then in December I priced it to a person(for what I had in it!), and he bought it. So what to buy next. I wanted to "not" buy a Jeep. Looked at trucks. Challengers. Even looked at a corvette(get this, you can get a new vette with some equipment for the same prce as a rubicon right now!) I had been hanging out here on this forum for a while just doing some reading. Then I started reading all the good reviews on the sky one touch top.

I finally saw one In Jan, and got to see how far the top went back. So at the end of jan I ordered a Rubi with the top. They had never even seen one at my dealer. Now, in the used car world a sunroof is a liability, Just something else to break down. I'm often asked if a sunroof leaks on a car that I'm selling.. I have the same answer every time. Only when it rains. lol(even if it doesnt leak). But my main helper to take the hardtop off If i bought a hardtop is fixing to leave for college in the fall.

Much to my surprise my Jeep arrived 15 days after my order was placed! Red, v6(thats a story for another day) cloth. Long story short, I love it.

Will it cause problems later on? Absolutely. But right now its under warranty! If its 70 degrees on my way home from work, top goes back.. If its 50 degrees that night and I need to go to store, top goes forward. Naysayers, this top works very well. It looks like a hardtop, but operates like a soft top. I do notice some wind noise, but from what i've been reading the hardtops have wind noise too, so if I'm going to have wind noise, give me this top!
There with you!

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
Well.... I already did have one replacement due to car wash damage. The rear quarter panel glass had to be replaced. Super easy and cheap fix. It takes the same glass as any other hard top.
What exactly happened at the car wash that damaged your rear quarter panel glass?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Power top was what pushed me over into getting the Wrangler. I live by the ocean, and even in high wind nor'easters, and 6 inches of snow sitting on top of the car since I didn't have garage space for it the past several months, not a drop of water has gotten through. If somehow it someday turns out to be junk, I'll just replace it with a regular hardtop.
Sponsored