Sponsored

'A' - with yellow circle arrow around it (dash light)

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

This started up after having my head unit replaced under warranty. I believe it is associated with the auto stop/start function. It goes away after shut off, then starts back up a few minutes after driving.

I have the mini tazer. Can it permanently shut this off? I cleared when it popped up once, but after shutting off and turning back on it popped up again. To be fair, it was a quick attempt on my end.

How do I permanently make go away? Dealership best option?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
It means you have a problem with the auto start stop system. Unfortunately it's not a stand alone system and whatever is causing the error will probably eventually cause you other problems. A large majority of the problems seem to be related to one or both batteries. There is a ESS screen on your center display that will tell you why it's disabled, you just have to scroll and find it with the up/down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
This started up after having my head unit replaced under warranty. I believe it is associated with the auto stop/start function. It goes away after shut off, then starts back up a few minutes after driving.

I have the mini tazer. Can it permanently shut this off? I cleared when it popped up once, but after shutting off and turning back on it popped up again. To be fair, it was a quick attempt on my end.

How do I permanently make go away? Dealership best option?
Do you have a obd2 scanner and can pull your error codes? If so, it could be the code P00FD. It means that you have a low/bad ESS battery.

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Do you have a obd2 scanner and can pull your error codes? If so, and see the code P00FD it means that you have a low/bad ESS battery.
The mini tazer can pull codes. I'll grab it when I go for a drive in a bit and revert back. Thanks!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The mini tazer can pull codes. I'll grab it when I go for a drive in a bit and revert back. Thanks!
Do you leave Mini installed or disconnected? ESS is live function, not sure if that is creating an issue or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Do you have a obd2 scanner and can pull your error codes? If so, and see the code P00FD it means that you have a low/bad ESS battery.
Do you leave Mini installed or disconnected? ESS is live function, not sure if that is creating an issue or not.
I keep it plugged in. It was never an issue until the new head unit was installed. That was installed to fix the problem with my reverse camera not shutting off after disengaging reverse. View would stay in head unit and reverse lights would stay on.

A lot of gremlins for $50k...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it plugged in. It was never an issue until the new head unit was installed. That was installed to fix the problem with my reverse camera not shutting off after disengaging reverse. View would stay in head unit and reverse lights would stay on.

Strange issues. Sorry to hear so many gremlins. Good luck man...

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
The addition of ESS gremlins are caused by the gov mandate to lower emissions of ICE vehicles. ESS is a temporary workaround to be able to keep selling vehicles with these engines.

It's funny, It doesn't seem like the people forcing these emission mandates are considering all the unhealthy emissions caused by the fossil fuel electricity generators that supply the majority of the grid that charge the so called "green" electric vehicles...

Please don't get me wrong. I believe this "green" direction is where we need to go. It just seems things Iike ESS are being forced on us years before the technology is ready.

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
...it doesn't seem like the people forcing these emission mandates are considering all the unhealthy emissions caused by the fossil fuel electricity generators that supply the majority of the grid that charge the so called "green" electric vehicles...
they're going to get really upset if you use logic and facts like that...

Sponsored

Kogi

First Name
KB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Rubicon; 2019 Chevy Silverado; 2019 Chevy Traverse
I get the same A-hole light on my ā€˜21 Rubicon JL with 430 miles on it. I drove the Jeep 300 miles before I got my first warning, Start/Stop Unavailable - Service Start/Stop System. Took it to the dealer and suggested they check the alternate battery after reading responses on another forum. What do I know? They performed a diagnostic and found the clutch pedal position switch was intermittently shorting out. They were adamant that this was the problem and the fix. They replaced the switch and then the Jeep wouldnā€™t start. Apparently the clutch starter switch failed and had to be replaced. The part was back ordered and my Jeep was held hostage for about 4 weeks. Picked it up today. The good news is it started - the bad news is I have received the same warning message 6 times...very annoying to say the least. I can reset it by cycling the Jeep but get the same message after a few miles. Looks like Iā€™ll be heading back to the dealer on Monday. Hopefully they can figure it out and I can report back on the real fix.
p.s. Never had a problem with my ā€˜17 Wrangler Sport...I miss it.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Hang in there, I had the issue & it was fixed with multiple trips to the dealer as well. First, they charged my batteries said it was ok & sent me on my way. That didnā€™t last long (as in light came back on right as I was getting home from the dealer-20 min trip), took it back and they gave me a new aux battery. That didnā€™t do it either, took it back AGAIN and thatā€™s when they found the bad clutch switch. Itā€™s been fine ever since and Iā€™ve even gotten used to using ESS at stoplights.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I get the same A-hole light on my ā€˜21 Rubicon JL with 430 miles on it. I drove the Jeep 300 miles before I got my first warning, Start/Stop Unavailable - Service Start/Stop System. Took it to the dealer and suggested they check the alternate battery after reading responses on another forum. What do I know? They performed a diagnostic and found the clutch pedal position switch was intermittently shorting out. They were adamant that this was the problem and the fix. They replaced the switch and then the Jeep wouldnā€™t start. Apparently the clutch starter switch failed and had to be replaced. The part was back ordered and my Jeep was held hostage for about 4 weeks. Picked it up today. The good news is it started - the bad news is I have received the same warning message 6 times...very annoying to say the least. I can reset it by cycling the Jeep but get the same message after a few miles. Looks like Iā€™ll be heading back to the dealer on Monday. Hopefully they can figure it out and I can report back on the real fix.
p.s. Never had a problem with my ā€˜17 Wrangler Sport...I miss it.
The issue seems to be more common if the Jeep has sat on the lot and although probably not the issue when purchased, sitting at the dealers for 4 weeks with no use cannot have helped the situation. Like you found, the small auxiliary battery has caused a lot of these issues with auto start/stop. I for one will be switching to the Genesis dual group 25 battery solution in the future. I always turn ESS off when I get in. When I get a Taser it will do it for me. There is a thread where someone figured out how to bypass the auto start/stop yet retain the functionality of the auxiliary battery when the engine is off.

Kogi

First Name
KB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Rubicon; 2019 Chevy Silverado; 2019 Chevy Traverse
Hereā€™s the latest on my ā€˜21 Rubicon JL with the Start/Stop issue: I drove my Jeep over the weekend and never receive a warning message; however, I know it didnā€™t repair itself so I took it by the Jeep service department this morning. They ran another diagnostic test and told me that I needed to replace the radio frequency hub (RFH). Huh?

They said this is the last step before replacing the powertrain control module. The problem now is the part number for the RFH is not listed by Chrysler since this is a 2021 model. I guess Iā€™m confused on how the radio frequency hub is connected to the Start/Stop system. Any guesses?
Sponsored