Sponsored

A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest)

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in the DC area, you need to check out this fun loop. Went on a nice trip to Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia to scope out some new trails. There's a town near there called Thomas which is a great spot to stop and eat between trails. We started out on Canaan Loop Rd in Davis. It's a regular gravel forest road for ~12 miles or so, then suddenly gets technical once you hit this sign:

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_0607

There's maybe 5 miles of 5/10 difficulty trail here! Pumped to find this spot as it's only 45 min from Deep Creek Lake in MD where my parents house is. It poured all day Saturday so we got to play in some pretty deep puddles and streams.

From there we stopped at Black Water Falls state park as it's right at the end of the loop.

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_3253

Then we went to Thomas and grabbed some lunch. We finished out the day on Canyon Rim road (forrest road 18 I believe) which is right next to Thomas. That trail is rockier than a regular fire road, but most passenger vehicles could do it with no issues. There was one spot that was challenging though!

After that, we headed to Olson Fire Tower which was at the end of Canyon Rim Road. Unbelievable views up there!

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_0605

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_4068

This was a great day trip and all together was 4 ish hours on the trail! Highly recommend for people in the DC area.

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_3241

Jeep Wrangler JL A West Virginia Secret (Monongahela National Forest) IMG_3288
Sponsored

Beau Nugget

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKUR, 1979 Jeep CJ7, 1975 Bronco
Looks like a fun day

Monongahela is a really fun word to say

Last edited:

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
If you live in the DC area, you need to check out this fun loop. Went on a nice trip to Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia to scope out some new trails. There's a town near there called Thomas which is a great spot to stop and eat between trails. We started out on Canaan Loop Rd in Davis. It's a regular gravel forest road for ~12 miles or so, then suddenly gets technical once you hit this sign:

There's maybe 5 miles of 5/10 difficulty trail here! Pumped to find this spot as it's only 45 min from Deep Creek Lake in MD where my parents house is. It poured all day Saturday so we got to play in some pretty deep puddles and streams.

From there we stopped at Black Water Falls state park as it's right at the end of the loop.

Then we went to Thomas and grabbed some lunch. We finished out the day on Canyon Rim road (forrest road 18 I believe) which is right next to Thomas. That trail is rockier than a regular fire road, but most passenger vehicles could do it with no issues. There was one spot that was challenging though!

After that, we headed to Olson Fire Tower which was at the end of Canyon Rim Road. Unbelievable views up there!

This was a great day trip and all together was 4 ish hours on the trail! Highly recommend for people in the DC area.

This is great! I live near DC and have been looking for some places to ride and fly the drone. Thanks!

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
my brother and i did both trails a couple of weeks ago. Fun ride especially with some snow on the trail, and a lot of ice in the water holes. lol. next time your up there if you like burritos, check out a place called Hellbender burrito.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Beautiful area. Check out the Dolly Sods next time you’re in WV👍
Sponsored