Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sr. Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The last week of July I made a trip back to my home state of Wyoming. I left early Saturday morning and made my way to Marble Falls, TX where I met a forum member to part with my father's old warn winch and then proceeded another 9 hours to Colorado Springs for the night. The next morning I got up early to head to my first camp spot for the trip North of Dubois in the Shoshone National Forest. I of course had to stop at the border and take the obligatory state line photo.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming D896705F-CD51-4CBB-9B96-2F6E8C9D033E

I ended up at a place my father showed me when I was probably 5 or 6 and I spent the night there. Unfortunately the smoke from the wildfires in the states further west made the view a little hazy, but this place is so peaceful and relaxing that I didn't stay disappointed too long.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6842.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6851.JPG

The next morning I got up and made my way back down to Dubois but I took my time exploring some other side trails on the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6870.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6871.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6877.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6880.JPG

I aired back up in Dubois and grabbed some fuel and then headed over the mountain via Union Pass on my way to the only Jeep Badge of Honor Trail in Wyoming, Monument Ridge. With it being so dry, this trail was not at all challenging and the views were again hindered by the smoke, but I'm still glad I took the time to run it while I was in the area. The fire tower at the top was also a cool place to have lunch.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6885.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6890.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6895.JPG

After lunch I made my way over to Jackson and and Grand Teton National Park. I attempted to drive the old Snake River Road in the park, but unfortunately they have closed it to motorized use before you make it down to the river. I then made my way up into the National Forest along Gros Ventre Rd. I found a very underwhelming spot to camp for the night, but it was dark and I was tired so all I really needed was a place to park and sleep so it worked out fine.

The next morning I got up and made my way to the famous Mormon Row to take the photo everyone takes of the Moulton Barn. Once again the wildfire smoke really dulled the photo, but its a must see anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6929.JPG

After that, I had most of the day to kill before having to be back in Jackson to pick up my wife at the airport so I went down to Alpine along the Greys River to another spot my father and I used to go when I was younger.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6946.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6953.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6955.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6961.JPG

After enjoying a few hours along the river I headed back towards Jackson to check in to the AirBnB we had reserved for the remainder of the week and get a much needed shower. After checking in and relaxing for awhile I made a quick trip up to Phillips Ridge above Teton Village. This was a very fun road and I was in the right place at the right time to help a couple mountain bikers with some water as they had not brought enough for their ride.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6973.JPG

Next stop was the Jackson airport to pick up my wife. I was sitting at one of the scenic turnouts as her plane was landing so I snapped a pic for the heck of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming plane

The next morning we got up and made a day trip up to Yellowstone. We tried to avoid the main attractions and hit the less popular areas that we hadn't seen before on this trip.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6982.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6999.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_7011.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_7018.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_7026.JPG

The last couple days were spent enjoying Grand Teton National park and Jackson.

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_7036.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming IMG_6974.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL A week in Wyoming jackson

I then made a long and rainy drive back to Texas over the next two days. The trip was pretty epic and while I didn't get to do any serious wheeling, I did get some dirt on the tires and put it in 4 low. Now for the planning for next year's adventure. I am trying to decide if I want to make another trip to Wyoming to make a trek up the Morrison switchbacks, head to Moab, or head to California to attempt the Rubicon trail.
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I am trying to decide if I want to make another trip to Wyoming to make a trek up the Morrison switchbacks,
Is that road open clear to highway 212 (beartooth highway) still? Back in the day from 212 used to be able to turn to the south right at long lake, cutting between rainbow and chain lakes, follow that past sawtooth and you'd find yourself at the top of the switchbacks. I used to do a lot of camping up in that area. Kind of quit though, I really like it there but it's so popular and I feel like they keep making it more and more restrictive up there (probably for good reason). Do most of my camping in the bighorns these days. Going up Morrison, camping around sawtooth area, then heading out via red lodge sounds like a pretty good weekend to me.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Thanks for documenting - looks like an epic trip for sure. Wyoming/Montana/that area has been on my bucket list for a few years now.

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is that road open clear to highway 212 (beartooth highway) still? Back in the day from 212 used to be able to turn to the south right at long lake, cutting between rainbow and chain lakes, follow that past sawtooth and you'd find yourself at the top of the switchbacks. I used to do a lot of camping up in that area. Kind of quit though, I really like it there but it's so popular and I feel like they keep making it more and more restrictive up there (probably for good reason). Do most of my camping in the bighorns these days. Going up Morrison, camping around sawtooth area, then heading out via red lodge sounds like a pretty good weekend to me.
I believe it is, but I am not 100% certain. That is definitely something I will be checking into if I decide that is where I'm headed next year. I do know that the Jeep Jamboree has been doing a Beartooth Adventure the last few years and they do the Morrison as part of it so at least part of it is open for use.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
What a great trip.
Thanks for time and effort for posting this up.
Any issues with the Jeep along the way or off road?

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What a great trip.
Thanks for time and effort for posting this up.
Any issues with the Jeep along the way or off road?
No issues with the Jeep, it performed flawlessly.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Thanks for taking the time to post. It brings back memories of my geology field camp time in college, where we hit many of the same spots you did (Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone less visited areas, Gros Ventre slide) as well as one of mine and my wife's better backpacking trips in the Tetons. I love that area.

CJTJJK-JLNOW

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR ^2
Going to write these down as a high level reference. Love posts like this. Are there any specific names to the trails and locations to reference? Awesome post and thanks for sharing this.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing!
If you're open to an add for your next years trip let me know. I told my wife I wanted to try Moab next year.

Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
The last week of July I made a trip back to my home state of Wyoming. I left early Saturday morning and made my way to Marble Falls, TX where I met a forum member to part with my father's old warn winch and then proceeded another 9 hours to Colorado Springs for the night. The next morning I got up early to head to my first camp spot for the trip North of Dubois in the Shoshone National Forest. I of course had to stop at the border and take the obligatory state line photo.

I ended up at a place my father showed me when I was probably 5 or 6 and I spent the night there. Unfortunately the smoke from the wildfires in the states further west made the view a little hazy, but this place is so peaceful and relaxing that I didn't stay disappointed too long.

The next morning I got up and made my way back down to Dubois but I took my time exploring some other side trails on the way.

I aired back up in Dubois and grabbed some fuel and then headed over the mountain via Union Pass on my way to the only Jeep Badge of Honor Trail in Wyoming, Monument Ridge. With it being so dry, this trail was not at all challenging and the views were again hindered by the smoke, but I'm still glad I took the time to run it while I was in the area. The fire tower at the top was also a cool place to have lunch.

After lunch I made my way over to Jackson and and Grand Teton National Park. I attempted to drive the old Snake River Road in the park, but unfortunately they have closed it to motorized use before you make it down to the river. I then made my way up into the National Forest along Gros Ventre Rd. I found a very underwhelming spot to camp for the night, but it was dark and I was tired so all I really needed was a place to park and sleep so it worked out fine.

The next morning I got up and made my way to the famous Mormon Row to take the photo everyone takes of the Moulton Barn. Once again the wildfire smoke really dulled the photo, but its a must see anyway.

After that, I had most of the day to kill before having to be back in Jackson to pick up my wife at the airport so I went down to Alpine along the Greys River to another spot my father and I used to go when I was younger.

After enjoying a few hours along the river I headed back towards Jackson to check in to the AirBnB we had reserved for the remainder of the week and get a much needed shower. After checking in and relaxing for awhile I made a quick trip up to Phillips Ridge above Teton Village. This was a very fun road and I was in the right place at the right time to help a couple mountain bikers with some water as they had not brought enough for their ride.

Next stop was the Jackson airport to pick up my wife. I was sitting at one of the scenic turnouts as her plane was landing so I snapped a pic for the heck of it.

The next morning we got up and made a day trip up to Yellowstone. We tried to avoid the main attractions and hit the less popular areas that we hadn't seen before on this trip.

The last couple days were spent enjoying Grand Teton National park and Jackson.

I then made a long and rainy drive back to Texas over the next two days. The trip was pretty epic and while I didn't get to do any serious wheeling, I did get some dirt on the tires and put it in 4 low. Now for the planning for next year's adventure. I am trying to decide if I want to make another trip to Wyoming to make a trek up the Morrison switchbacks, head to Moab, or head to California to attempt the Rubicon trail.
awesome Thanks for sharing

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve stayed in Alpine during the winter and that was one of the most memorable trips of my life. Wyoming is a beautiful state. Thanks for sharing!

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Very nice, I'm definitely looking forward to these types of trips. Looks like a great time. I would have had to stop & fished in those lakes & rivers.

Nice Jeep too, makes me wish I would have gotten a painted top & fenders on my JLUR. They look nice with the JL, especially in Sting Gray.
:like:

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Going to write these down as a high level reference. Love posts like this. Are there any specific names to the trails and locations to reference? Awesome post and thanks for sharing this.
I found most of the trails via a book titled "Wyoming Backroads - An Off-Highway Guide to Wyoming's Backcountry Drives, 4WD Routes, and ATV Trails" as well as from memory of where my dad and I used to go. Other than the badge of honor trail (Monument Ridge) I just know the names as the route titles from that book. As far as locations, I was around Dubois, Alpine, and Jackson with the side trip over to Monument Ridge where I took Union Pass. I didn't get any photos on Union pass due to my camera battery being dead, but that is a beautiful drive. It is very bumpy though, you will make your life and back much happier if you air down going over that route. It is not technical at all, just very bumpy.

Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing!
If you're open to an add for your next years trip let me know. I told my wife I wanted to try Moab next year.
I would definitely be open to having another Jeep along.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It brings back memories of my geology field camp time in college, where we hit many of the same spots you did (Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone less visited areas, Gros Ventre slide) as well as one of mine and my wife's better backpacking trips in the Tetons. I love that area.
I'm glad that this brought back some fond memories for you.